AF: flooded start up condition | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flooded start up condition

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by willrappold, Jan 14, 2016.

1. willrappold

willrappold Active Member

My 85 reliant 2.2 tbi on initial cold starts will turn over and hit fine, but after about 5 seconds it starts to flood its self out, so you have to give it a lot of gas to keep it running,, when you do that you can just smell the gas in the exhaust (turns blue in color), If it cuts off you have to put the petal on the floor to get it to restart. This problem seems to be worse the colder it gets, isn't as noticeable in the summer. Any ideas? Only fault code I have is for the speed sensor the wiring for that was ripped a way some time ago. thanks for any ideas.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Could be a bad MAP sensor, or ice trapped in the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. That caused a lot of problems like this. In 1987 or so, Chrysler relocated the MAP sensor to underhood so that moisture would not collect in that hose.
    Missing speed sensor wiring is not good. Computer needs that signal for several functions.

Doug D likes this.
  3. willrappold

Thanks for advice. I bought a new map sensor and tried that but it didn't do any good, can I clean the old line or can you by a new line?
    Yea i know the speed sensor missing isn't good, I have a new sensor and I think I found where the one connection point is behind the battery, I just got to find the rest of the harness to get to point a and b. have had to success at junkyards so far.

4. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

Should just be a piece of standard issue vacuum hose that any auto parts store will have. While your at it, check the other vacuum hoses for any cracks or hardness.

5. willrappold

does anybody know the gauge of the wiring for the speed/distance sensor? Im just gonna try to rewire it myself since finding a harness isn't turn out to good.

6. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

I would think an 18 gauge (stranded) would be fine. Mine appears to be 18 AWG.You are dealing with such small amounts of current. The heavier gauge would handle the environment better. The insulation quality probably is more important for overall durability and heat resistance. If you can solder your connections, that would be better than crimping.