Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flooding problem

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by Charllie, May 30, 2016.

1. Charllie

Charllie New Member

I recently swapped a 360 magnum out of an 01 Duragno into my 1980 Volare. I used a professional [products air-gap intake in order to run a carb, a used holley 4160 600cfm with vacuum secondaries. The fuel pump is a holley mighty mite, making around 7 psi. but I've got a regulator so I can change that now. Other than headers, intake, and thinner head gaskets, the motor is completely stock. It has a big flooding problem. at first it would run extremely rich with black smoke and everything. I got it leaned out enough to get rid of the smoke. But, it still runs horribly with rough idle and hesitation/stumble above mid-throttle. WOT runs good, leading me to believe it still runs rich. I've also had a problem with gas in the oil. I rebuilt the carb and ran it once. It wouldn't idle at all, even with the adjustment screw all the way in. It had gas in the oil AGAIN afterwards. It also read only 3.5 fuel pressure with the regulator all the way open. I'm completely confused on what the problem could be, I have the carb off now and I'll look at the idle circuit and check things out again, maybe test the fuel pressure without the carb on the car somehow. This is my first go-around with a holley so any help would be appreciated!

2. Charllie

Charllie New Member

Additional info: I've quadruple checked the floats. The accelerator pump doesn't seem to be pumping through the squirters. The the guy I bought it from said he was selling it because it wasn't the right size for his engine, bit I'm now suspecting he might have had the same problem as me

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I don't like Holleys either, but if gas is getting into the oil, your problem could be the fuel pump.

4. Charllie

Charllie New Member

It's an electric pump

5. Scrounge

Is the pump on the engine block, or in the gas tank? Those I've had problems with were on the block.

If the pump seems to be working properly, maybe those squirters are clogged. You might try soaking them overnight in B12, then spraying them out completely.

6. Charllie

Charllie New Member

The carb it's pretty clean. The squirters did work, just dribbled mostly. I took it off to rebuild and discovered the needle wasn't in it, but found the needle with the old gaskets and stuff the guy I bought it from gave me. I put it in when I rebuilt it.

7. Scrounge

Don't know what else I can say about the carb -- you seemed to have done the necessary work on it. If you can find another carb that you know works properly, preferably a Carter, Edelbrock, or Rochester, you might try it and see what happens.

You might also check your plugs. A leaky carb or fuel pump can soak them.

8. Charllie

Charllie New Member

I had the carb apart and realized it had the wrong gasket between the metering block and body- the accelerator pump circuit was just filling the pv cavity. The guy that had it before me had the wrong gasket on it and when I
    rebuilt it I just gasket matched without thinking and put the wrong one on. I fixed it and it runs great now

Scrounge and ImperialCrown like this.