Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football/ Boxing

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by geraldg, Aug 12, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I keep reading about all the things about concussions in football so what about boxing far more physical than football so why not outlaw boxing.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

On a related note there is an article in this weeks Sports Illustrated about tackling the way it use to be done. Tackling with the shoulder and not leading with the head. That's the way it use to be taught over 30 years ago which they got away from and now some college and pro coaches are going back to. Very interesting article.

I was never fond of boxing.

3. pt006

pt006 Active Member

A few years ago a female doctor dissected the brains of former football players who had suffered from mental problems after they retired. She found brain damage [holes] in the brain tissue of ~80% of the specimens she tested. Note that the specimens came from players who had mental issues and is not a representation of players in general. She found the same brain defect in a college football player. She stated that young kids are even more likely to get damaged brains as they are not yet fully developed. Also stated that several low impact blows are as damaging as a heavy blow. It should be in the PBS archives. More than an hour long.

My theory about football vs boxing is momentum. Say two 200 lb men hit helmet to helmet. And the are running at 10 mph each. Both stop instantly. The brain, like stiff jello inside a mixing bowl, also stops instantly. After enough collisions, damage likely results. In boxing, the head usually, but not always, gets pushed back and lowers the G forces a little. Many of the punches are glancing blows. Watching Clay/Ali in his later years was sad. But Fraiser and Foreman seem to be doing well.

Another consideration is drugs. They lessen the feeling of pain, which is the bodies natural defense to further damage. While this gives some athletes an advantage that day, they may pay for it in later life.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

We need to unlearn the modern way of tackling.
    I wonder if a new type of helmet would help.
    I think too much protection can be a bad thing. If it doesn't hurt they won't stop doing it.
    Line the inside of the helmet with little cones of compressible rubber.
    The more it compresses the harder it gets. The harder it gets, the more it hurts.
    The cones would be a positive reinforcement that the player needs to resist hitting with his head.

This is the low tech method.
    I'm sure they will instead go with a high tech version that includes audio tones and accelerometers.
    With a flash drive the records data and likely transmits it real time to a staff doctor that has the authority to pull a player from the game.