AF: Ford's flawed small-car transmissions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford's flawed small-car transmissions

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Scrounge, Dec 26, 2019.

1. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

I’ve read several investigative articles from the Detroit Free Press regarding this issue.

What a mess.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The sad thing is there really isn't a good fix other than buying a better model. The engineers told management and management did nothing.

3. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Kind of like the repeated failure-issues I had with the new Ultradrive transmission that was installed in the new 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan LE that I bought.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  4. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Amazing how these kind of mistakes just keep repeating themselves. Just look at the Boeing mess...

jerseyjoe, AvengerGuy and aldo90731 like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The more complex technology gets, the more common things like this are bound to occur. The upper management at Ford probably considered how much money it would cost to actually fix the issue and decided it was too expensive in their eyes...though having to shell out money after the fact for recalls, repairs, and lawsuits probably will trump those costs. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as they say.

Honestly, with as many complaints about the 9 speed here and in other forums, I wouldn't be surprised if the same things weren't going on at FCA...though perhaps not the same severity of issues.

Judging from personal experience, corporations look at the price of actually fixing something the right way, and more often than not respond with the answer, "that's too expensive, we can't afford that, let's see if we get by with just a bandaid."

AvengerGuy likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The only thing that saved FCA from a similar fate was fewer people in North America bought Fiats and Darts with the DDCT.

DDCT was an interesting concept, promising the performance and fuel economy of a manual transmission and the convenience of an automatic. They just weren’t reliable. Ford sold a lot of them.

aldo90731, tlc and gforce2002 like this.
  7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I would have thought that Getrag would have been more careful about how their product design was used. Dual-clutch transaxles are a great idea on paper, but either need more development time/money or more a conscientious development/management team.
    I also hear of mid-size (Taurus) transaxle nightmares.
    We also had our own problems with FCA's DDCT.
    I owned a JATCO CVT Caliber and have a ZF 9HP AWD Chrysler 200 S. Neither car has any transaxle issues.
    Take the following article with a grain of salt. Many cars will not have these problems. Some will. The internet has a way of magnifying failures:
    Seven Shifty Transmissions to Avoid | (at https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/seven-shifty-transmissions-to-avoid/ )

Scrounge and valiant67 like this.
  8. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Unless a recall is ordered, or a warranty applies, a transmission can cost an owner $1500 to rebuild or replace. The last time I had one rebuilt was on an '86 Chevy C10 in 1997, and the total cost, at a recommended shop, was less than $500. It lasted me until I sold the truck, about 7 years later.

Most people I've talked with who have them have no complaints; one woman who attended one of my garage sales said that she had to replace the transmission on hers, and it still wouldn't run right (I don't know exactly what model year, but it was a 2-gen). More info:

Ford Taurus Transmission Problems & Cost | 6F50 / AX4N (at https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/ford-taurus-transmission-problems/ )

9. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

2012 Ford Focus.

Worst vehicle I have ever owned.

Scary bad.

Turned left and it stalled out in front of a semi.

Good God.

Lost 2k on the trade-in but worth it.

I want to live.

Zero issues on my 15 Ram.

wtxiceman and FThorn like this.
  10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Yeah I guess upper management had a discussion, and trying to build a good reputation was just too damn expensive, so they did what they usually do. Nothing, wait for the class actions, bad publicity and forced recalls if it causes an accident. Its like they never learn.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  11. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Have you driven a Ford lately...?

:D

#13 aldo90731, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  12. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Good to read that you survived it.

I've never owned a vehicle that small. It seems that the manufacturers cheapen them to keep their prices down. Even the smallest Toyotas (Echo, Yaris, etc.) are less reliable than the rest of their models.

13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I was surprised about the relatively negative Ford Escape review in Car&Driver and the things I keep hearing about the new Explorer. While it seems like it has some nice features there seems to be enough teething problems that make it a non recommendable product. Which is not good in times of Telluride and Palisade competition...

Makes you wonder if they can get the Bronco right off the start...

14. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

The difference between the US based companies and the Asian companies is that the former are slow learners, and have short memories. The Asian companies have all followed the same company philosophy if you have been paying attention for about the last 45 or so years. Build a decent product at a low price with acceptable but maybe not great quality, to get your customer base in, then continually improve that product, to ensure a steady stream of repeat customers to fuel your profits and in turn invest in better production processes and techniques to further improve quality and market share. The key is continuous improvement. Not throwing new models out in fits and starts, then retreating, and wondering where all the customers went. One thing I will say is that we are handicapped by how a company is judged to be successful. Short term profits vs repeat sales and market share. Narrow minded and short sighted and giving the wrong people way too much money, even when they nearly destroy the company. That has gotta stop!

#16 LouJC, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    vipergg, AvengerGuy, tomit and 3 others like this.
  15. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

So....the Caravan and Journy should be the most reliable cars around.

16. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- yes they could if mother had followed a steady improvement philosophy...and keept to it.
    But we must remember that any major Changes to a design kicks you back a bit and the demand for increased speed in developement from customers makes it hard to test new things thouroghly.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No, because rather than continuous improvement cost reduction is the primary focus on existing vehicles.

Bob Lincoln and Adventurer55 like this.
  18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Reduce costs. That is the American way. Max value for share holders. Now the customers? Not so much.

AvengerGuy likes this.