AF: Ford's flawed small-car transmissions | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford's flawed small-car transmissions

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Scrounge, Dec 26, 2019.

1. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

I bought used Escape months back. It stranded us with horrible transmission (really INTEGRATION) issues. Sold it at a loss immediately. taking a bath.

2. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

The thing that got me mad was Ford blaming my maintenance.

I am fanatical about my maintenance.

I kept ALL records.

Pay up Ford.

Bearhawke and FThorn like this.
  3. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Some purchasers only want the newest. Doesn’t matter how good the old is. Doesn’t matter how bad the new is. I find the kind of people that buy Japanese brands buy for comfort. My wife’s camry has an ancient engine and ancient transmission. She’d buy another one in a heartbeat

Bearhawke, vipergg and voiceofstl like this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

A good portion of those "consumers" consider a vehicle to be an "appliance". They just want it to work. They have little expectations of "excitement".

A few people I know that own Toyota's look down on FCA, Ford and GM. To them an outdated Toyonda is much better than anything from FCA, Ford or GM.

On the other hand a few good friends of mine are enthusiasts and would never even consider a Honda or Toyota. One loves old Fords - he just purchased a '47 Ford, has a Model A and a '65 Ford Galaxie convertible. Another is MoPar guy like me.

saltydog and page2171 like this.
  5. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

Hate to say my pendulum is swinging toward me being in that camp. My now fifth forgot one... SIXTH..Toyota product (I have THREE Highlanders right now; just replaced a Highlander with another Highlander), just run. Keep in mind, I am also a Chrysler minivan fan; prior to my now FIVE SUVs, I had three Chrysler minivans at one time, too. I would love an updated XJ, though.

6. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Not necessarily so due to the pursuit of short term profits leading the automakers to squeeze suppliers to reduce parts cost. Then you have chronic failure of the same part. Japanese makers at least in Japan have better relationships with suppliers. As in computers Garbage in Garbage out!
    Had this on the 98 Jeep with:
    Brake rotors
    Ac evap
    Window switches
    I haven’t but many had chronic issues with diffs.

gforce2002 and valiant67 like this.
  7. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Only once since i got rid of my last on in 1999, wasn't impressed either.:D

8. Doug D

I haven't driven a Ford since we traded the '93 Aerostar we had for a '00 T&C Ltd. That said the Aerostar served us well (had 203K miles at trade in), but the engine was a bear to work on (but many vehicles are these days) and I got tired of the interior panels constantly falling apart. And the gas mileage (~16 mpg) was not all that great.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

The last one I drove was a Michigan friend's '05 300 shortly after he bought it. I like how it drove, and fit and finish seemed well done. He had that car for 15 years; the only recall was related to the fuel system, I think the fuel rail. No major repairs otherwise, just normal maintenance. It started to rust within the last 2 years, and since he's now 81 and no longer driving, he gave it to his sister a few months ago.

The last one I owned was a '73 Lincoln in the early 1980's. It was a smooth, quiet ride, and I liked the cruise control, which let me drive with my thumbs when and where traffic was light. But deep down, it was a Ford; if I didn't Fix Or Repair Daily, it would be Found On Road Dead. Once, when I tried to start it in a parking lot, instead of cranking the starter, the ammeter needle went way to the left. When I popped the hood, the starter was on fire. I had borrow a fire extinguisher from the store. Since this was a Sunday, I had to leave the car there until the next morning, when I could buy a starter from a parts store. It seemed to develop a new problem every month, maybe more often. After 2 years of ownership, I sold it in Michigan for $1300 more than I paid for it (it was a rust-free Texas car), but after all of the repairs, I didn't come out ahead.

10. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Now the most recent one is my brother's 2011 Fusion hybrid, which he bought new, and currently has 122K+ miles. It's an Arizona car, so no rust. It's also been garaged for its first 5 or 6 years of ownership, and so far, the paint's not baked.

It runs ok, and has so far been reliable. The hybrid system is an electric motor next to the 4-cylinder gas engine; when the car is turned on, the electric motor engages, and the gas engine comes on after the car is put in gear and moves faster than 2 or 3 mph. From what I can tell, the electric motor is on when the car is in park, or idling at an intersection. It serves the purpose of the starter without the cranking, and the battery that runs it is recharged when the gas engine is running. The dash shows that it's been returning roughly 40 mpg since filling up last week.

The style isn't elaborate, but it's attractive. After the Fusion's initial sales success, Ford applied the style of its grille across most of its model line, perhaps in the hopes that the success would rub off. This might have cheapened the larger cars; I don't know what effect it had on sales.

Lots of electronic gadgetry; the stereo (it has satellite radio), hvac GPS, and probably other systems, are controlled by a touch-screen to the right of the instrument panel, above the console. This would seem to be a distraction, at least until the driver is used to it. I've yet to figure it out, but the weather is currently such that opening a window or two is comfortable enough.

The only glitches are a slight engine vibration under strong acceleration, which my brother thinks might be a motor mount, and the driver's side panel where the hand is put to close the door occasionally comes loose. I would expect a lot more problems from a Ford of its age and use, but this one seems to be holding up.

11. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Recently had a rental Fusion Hybrid for a trip out to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for work for two weeks. Didn't reset the trip-o-meter on the way out to check fuel mileage. But, did so for the trip back. This was just last month. It returned 40.0 mpg on the return trip, all at highway speeds. Don't recall if it was a '19 or '20. But was a decent sedan for both around town and on the highway. No complaints and seemed well-made.

12. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

And the thing just runs reliably and won't leave you stranded . This is all a lot of people want .

13. Doug D

I rented a Corolla a few years back while my Ram was in the shop for 10 days for a planned major repair (replacing the HVAC assembly). The Corolla was not exciting, but it was a decently built car with a nice interior and I got 35+ mpg while I drove it around. It works well for someone who needs reliable transportation for minimal cost. As my wife says, "It just didn't speak to me." It was like drinking lukewarm water. It was neither cold nor hot and I would spit it out.

Now, something like a Challenger or Charger does speak to me unfortunately at this time the wallet is empty. :confused:

14. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

My son's 2019 Corolla is on a national recall list for defective fuel pump and air bag. They said they'd contact him when to come in for the replacements. In the meantime, he's driving a car that could die on him and get him killed. I don't like it, but he's not willing to contact a lawyer and demand a different car in the interim.

15. Doug D

I had no choice but to continue to drive my Ram when I received the airbag recalls. Fortunately both recalls have been completed and I don't have to worry.

16. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Had a friend who had put a 340 in an early minivan. Popped a number of tiny torque flites till he filed a band lever to a certain size and dragraced it till the body fell off.

17. morriLinda1

morriLinda1 Member

Safety systems like airbags It's not the same. Flawed transmission won't kill you

18. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I keep finding my own typos; I need to do a better job of editing before posting. This should be 500, not 300.

Welome to Allpar. Shawn might dispute your statement -- from earlier in this thread:

Intermittent stalling, with no discernible pattern, is one of the problems with these specific Ford transmissions. No, it didn't kill him. But it could have.

ShawnP, tlc and Dave Z like this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I'll dispute your statement. Imagine pulling out into traffic in a DDCT equipped car and the car getting partway out into the intersection and the clutches going up in smoke with no more forward movement. I don't have to imagine that as this was the first DDCT failure in my Fiat 500L. Luckily, there was enough of a slope to coast the car back to get out of the way of traffic, as until the car cooled. the transmission would not move the car forward or backward.
    Ford wasn't the only manufacturer pumping junk, dangerous transmissions on the US market, they just sold more and stuck with the junk design longer. I had a case open with NHTSA over my Fiat's DDCT. My personal case was closed when the dealer bought the car back.

Citation84 and tlc like this.