AF: Found window sticker & photo for new 74 Dodge Dart Sport we had | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found window sticker & photo for new 74 Dodge Dart Sport we had

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Fast Eddie, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Love it...but any mopar model that sport in its name should've had a V8 standard.

3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Is your old car still on the road, somewhere?

If so, it would be cool, and I'm sure the current owner would love to have the original sticker ;)

4. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Colonial Dodge. Whoa. Now a huge storage unit. Sad.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Though still base-priced below $3,000, the bottom line is a reminder that this was an inflationary time. When introduced 3 years prior, the base price was below $2,500. The 1974 models were introduced just before the late-1973 gas shortages, and economy vehicles were suddenly in demand, so this one probably wasn't on the lot for very long. The "sport package" seems gratuitous. The automatic transmission was the most expensive option, which probably made for a better driving experience in town. The 225 Slant 6 became the base engine at some point, but apparently not this model year. The AM radio seemed pricey; by then, FM radios with 8-track players were common, and after-market stereos were often installed. Power steering also seemed more expensive than necessary, though it may have been more difficult to install on a Slant 6 engine. No power brakes? Again, they became standard equipment some time in the 1970's, apparently after this model year.

This was the Dodge version of the Duster. It was initially called Demon, but that name was controversial, and it was quickly changed to Sport. But yes, more thought could have been put into the name; I'd also expect a "sport" version to have bucket seats and a console shifter. Perhaps you recall that, during the 1960's, the Dart GT also had a base 6-cylinder engine.

6. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

I remember when they were new and how reasonably priced cars were then. If I could go back in time and buy one of these new I certainly would, in preference to the overpriced and overly complex vehicles we are forced to take today. We didn't appreciate how nice a simple car was back then!

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I own a 1974 Valiant and a 2013 Dart. Believe me, you wouldn't buy one today if it was on the market.

saltydog likes this.
  8. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Ahh well....I was old enough to have worked on them when they were only few years old and I'd pay a good price for the right one! I recall when all new cars drove just like them, feathery no feel Mopar power steering, touchy and fade prone drum brakes, etc. That does not bother me one bit, in fact my '98 Jeep kind of drives like a car from the '70s too!
    Here's what they don't have that I like:
    no infernally complex CANBUS system with all the potential problems that go with it, wiring problems can be sorted with a test light and VOM
    No EFI, simple to rebuild carbs, I can do a complex Quadrajet in like an hr and a half.
    No complex engine designs, where you can't get at anything! Simple cast iron engines!
    Yes I could easily live with one of the cars of my youth (in my late teens to early 20s then).
    I understand points ignition systems, and mechanical valve lifers....

since I was a Chevrolet guy then though, I'd really like a 1972 Impala like the one my parents bought new when I was about 17 for $4200.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

When I installed radial tires on my Dart it made it a brand new car!!!!!!!!!

AvengerGuy likes this.
  10. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Remember fiberglass belted bias tires? A stepping stone between plain ole bias ply and steel belted radials. I remember driving for the first time on radials the car felt like it was on rails vs the squirmy bias plys we were all used to.

saltydog, Doug D and wolfsblood07 like this.
  11. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

The picture of the Dart and the houses remind me of suburban Detroit when I was growing up in Allen Park in the 70s. Good times!

DC-93 likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If I could find a good one today for that price, I would snap it up and go to a major auction and make good money.

13. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

We lived in Roseville from 68 to 77 where the picture was taken.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

1974 Valiant might not sell for $3,000... even in good condition. Duster would.

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Depends on the model. Here's what Nada says about the OP car:

1974 Dodge Dart Sport 2 Door Coupe Prices, Values & Dart Sport 2 Door Coupe Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1974/Dodge/Dart-Sport/2-Door-Coupe/Values )

Double it if it had a 360. A Brougham, while a nice car with more standard features, has only a sedan's value:

1974 Plymouth Valiant Brougham 4 Door Sedan Prices, Values & Valiant Brougham 4 Door Sedan Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1974/Plymouth/Valiant-Brougham/4-Door-Sedan/Values )

It would make a good daily driver in good mechanical condition. But a Scamp is a 2-door hardtop, which is more desirable:

1974 Plymouth Scamp 2 Door Hardtop Prices, Values & Scamp 2 Door Hardtop Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1974/Plymouth/Scamp/2-Door-Hardtop/Values )

And yes, though the Duster was the price leader when new, it seems to be the most collectible now, despite the fact that more of them were built than any other Valiant model:

1974 Plymouth Duster 2 Door Sport Coupe Prices, Values & Duster 2 Door Sport Coupe Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1974/Plymouth/Duster/2-Door-Sport-Coupe/Values )

Even more collectible with a 360 (if original):

1974 Plymouth Duster 2 Door Sport Coupe (360) Prices, Values & Duster 2 Door Sport Coupe (360) Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1974/Plymouth/Duster/2-Door-Sport-Coupe-360/Values )

16. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My brother's first car was a 76 Feather Duster, slant-6 auto (floor shift) with manual sunroof and fold-down rear seat. Red with black interior and white seats. Gas mileage was about 26 mpg highway or better, due to aluminum body panels. Darn near indestructible. He was sandwiched in a chain-collision and was unhurt, the car had a small dent in one bumper. The Chevy wagon in front of him and the Mercedes behind him were severely damaged and towed from the scene.

wolfsblood07 and Scrounge like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yup, removing doors and a V8 will dramatically increase the value. By a factor of ten, it appears.

18. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

Make him an offer he can't refuse......

19. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Another thing that's sad is they changed the name of East Detroit to Eastpointe. East Detroit sounds so much cooler.