AF: Front brakes staying on. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front brakes staying on.

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Tony h, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Tony h

Tony h Member

Hi guys. Just wondering what master cylinder set up people are using on AP6 with 4 wheel discs. I have standard master cylinder with remote booster. 9” diff disc and cm calipers on front. Front brakes are sticking on and master cylinder is leaking out of lid. I’m thinking there is residual pressure building up in system. I am looking at a dual diaphragm offset booster and master cylinder from Hemi performance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Standard drum master cylinder has a check valve built in. Not used with disc brakes. Could also be sticky pistons in caliper. Jack a wheel up and open the bleeder for a second and if it releases, it is not the caliper. If it releases, could be wrong master cylinder, faulty brake hose or master cylinder not retracting fully.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

There's that, and there are also four wheel disc brake master cylinders to correct this, too, and the two don't mix. Given both are locking up, I would not suspect a flexible line being the issue, especially if it happened in response to adding disc. Was the car originally a disc in front car, or are those added, too, and the master cylinder not changed? I would think the company you got the disc rear conversion (unless it was just a swapped 9inch rear from a Ford), would have mentioned a proper master cylinder to get, and, at the same time, I would consider getting one for one that matches the rear end to start with. Might simplify things, assuming the front calipers are equivalent to the ones on whatever the rear end came out of (single or double piston, etc.).