Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front door hinges

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Hankster, May 14, 2017.

1. Hankster

Hankster Curious Shadetree Tinkerer

The hinges on my 2013 sound like an old barn door. The detent wheel seems to be the cause. I have tried lithium grease, oil, and light spray oil with little impovement. Anyone else have this issue?
    Hank

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It can happen on other models as well. The roller wheel needs to be freed up first, then it should take oil.
    Soaking with penetrants like 'foaming graphite' solvents with heat/cold shocks and mechanical shocks while working the hinge back and forth may eventually break it free. This seems especially common after the winter corrosion season.
    Keeping it oiled after that should keep it free.

MPE426HEMI and Hankster like this.
  3. Hankster

The detent wheel actually turns, just makes a loud creaking noise as the roller rolls though the detents. I keep it soaked with oil.
    I Washed the hinges down today with spray solvent, And lubed with chain lube. So far the passenger side is now quiet and the driver side is better but not quiet.
    Hank

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The roller spring and lever can creak as well as the hinge pivot pins. By working the door, the creak should soften to a light pop and then go away. I begin with a light-bodied oil to penetrate and then finish with a heavy-bodied oil to protect.
    I think that my final application was with synthetic hypoid gear lube.
    If the lower hinge has worn, it may need replacement. The drivers door hinge would likely wear before the other 3.
    I see that the latest LF lower hinge Mopar part # is 55360919AK. It supersedes the 7 previous part numbers before it (because of problems?). See 'Replaces:' here:
    Hinge-Door - Mopar (55360919AK) | OEPartsDeals (at https://www.moparpartsdeals.com/oem-parts/mopar-hinge-door-55360919ak )

Hankster likes this.
  5. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

The creaking is coming from the lever the wheel rolls on.

Hankster likes this.
  6. Hankster

The noise is now gone. I think the chain lube will have staying power. Time will tell, thanks for the help and advice.
    Hank

ImperialCrown likes this.