AF: Front lights on vehicles. | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front lights on vehicles.

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by jerseyjoe, Feb 8, 2020.

1. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

As mentioned, a lot of the problem with the lights on trucks, Jeeps, and other SUV's is the aiming, not the light output. So many people install aftermarket headlights without aiming them properly. And for many years, until pretty recently, Jeep Wrangler headlights were practically aimed at the sky from the factory, which just made the problem much worse on those vehicles in particular, especially when they are lifted.

Dave Z likes this.
  2. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Where I worked a few years ago a bunch of the younger guys had Evos and STIs. Any one of them that was equipped with the feature where you can point them with a knob went straight up into the sky.

Another side effect of us becoming so used to turning a blind eye to everyone and everything around us and only caring about ourselves.

Dave Z likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The lighting standards are terrible.
    Light output for taillights and brake lights is measured in power usage, so LEDs can blind you.
    Headlights can toss light everywhere. FMVSS people have determined glare isn't real.

IIHS measures headlights objectively, shows you their results, and includes glare. Indeed, headlights are dropped in rating for glare. I like IIHS’ headlight stuff.

Tony K and valiant67 like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I agree with that part of your sentence, indeed, I would pay extra for the manual day/night mirror because it works better. The automatic ones don't really dim. My wife's car has a rear sunshade and I often use that at night, too. (It goes down when you back up, though I'm probably using the camera.)

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I am not seeing this is having a valid connection. Some people were always jerks. It's just cheaper to be a jerk now than it used to be.

Tony K, jimboy, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  6. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I remember a magazine article where replacement head light assemblies were tested for DOT compliance.
    They tested two aftermarket ones for a Honda and a Toyota and both failed.
    They also tested an OEM Ford replacement. It too failed.

So hopefully Ford has improved since then.

Dave Z likes this.
  7. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

There is a fundamental flaw with the design of nearly all modern lights, especially those which are of a projector design.

The light output for "low beams" is not reduced. It is simply blocked from shining above a certain level when in "low" mode. If you view the lights from below this plane/level, you are seeing the light at its full intensity; at its bright "high-beam" setting.

As most vehicles grow taller, the plane that limits the light's output moves upward. Add to that the fact that road surfaces are not level and that not all vehicles have grown taller, and you can see how easy it is to be able to see a "low beam" as a "high beam"...

Furthermore, new safety standards are finally starting to consider headlight output in safety (which is smart), but these standards are poorly formatted and do not make adjustment for light height (which is stupid). This means that simply moving the lights HIGHER results in a higher score, with no actual change to the light themselves. This might be good for the driver of THAT vehicle, but it's bad for everyone else...

Dave Z and Ryan like this.
  8. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

A projector with its shutter acually lowers it low beam light output, blocked light isnt let out of the projector.
    - the thing with the projector is its dramatically sharper cutoff line wich allows it to have full strenght all the way up to the cutoff line.
    This gives it a superior light output on the road while still following the rules.
    - this in turn gives 2 problems, if its high aimed for some reason it´ll glare strongly and its small size makes it behave lika a small but strong in light spot compared to a much larger reflector. The latter will come into play no matter what Tech you use as long as its small in size.
    Car mnufacturers has obviously worked with this problem and to some extent made it smaller, does anyone remember the oem hid´s that came out some 20 years ago?.
    - they were awful to meet, today not so much.

9. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I do notice more and more drivers just run with their high beams on all the time. They will not dim them after numerous drivers flick their brights as a reminder. Kind of a big F.U. to everyone else on the road IMO.

10. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Same kind of person who sits in the passing lane doing 5 over saying "im going fast enough"

Tony K, tlc and djsamuel like this.
  11. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

Agree. Tall SUVS like an Escalade have blinding headlights. IMHO.

12. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I'm again confused why this topic is in the "Rumors and Speculation" topic about Mopar vehicles. ;-) This forum really needs to better organize topics.

As for all the issues, I haven't had any of these issues people talk about. I just never see people use their blinkers.

page2171 likes this.
  13. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Rumors & Speculation is really just a stand in for General Chrysler Discussion at this point... it should be renamed. Maybe “Rumors & General Discussion”

@Techadmin is this possible?

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Cars have blinkers?? Surely you jest! :D

tlc likes this.
  15. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

They dont have a beam pattern to them, just cast light out in all directions.

Ive had them passing me and my projector lights were shining down road farther than them even though they had passed me already

16. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Yours does also, just need to top off the fluid to get them working again..:D

Zagnut27 and Doug D like this.
  17. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I made a topic that might be worth reading for the administration about Allpar's organization. It's definitely not perfect, but can be built or worked on.

Hahaha! I sometimes feel that way.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, it's right next to the tire fluid.......:D

wtxiceman likes this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think the air in those tires might be dirty and probably needs to be changed. Just to be safe. :D

Doug D likes this.