Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front pinion yoke

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by Danny1983, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

The front pinion yoke on my 87 is broke and I'm getting ready to fix it. Questions are what special tools might I need, do I need to replace the pinion seal? Again I'm only replacing the yoke. Any other suggestions tips or tricks welcome.
    Thanks a lot.
    Danny

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, and rule of thumb is, if any seal has been unseated, replace it. Wear over time sets the seal to remain sealing, replacing a part, or even removing a part from a seal can and more often than not, damages that sealing ability and they tend to leak. If a slight wear groove has formed in the part being removed, once it is pulled from the seal the flex can cause micro cracks and will leak, so yeah, not much money to replace it once, vice having to take it apart afterwards to replace it a second time.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

very seldom do they break.if the yoke is broken it would have taken a lot of force to do that.depending on what diff you have you may have a crush sleeve that would need to be replaced.a lot harder to change a yoke in a diff that has a crush sleeve.you can't over torque the nut,

5. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

Thanks a lot fellas. I appreciate the help.
    Danny