AF: Front strut rod bushing (frame) repair kit (300m) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front strut rod bushing (frame) repair kit (300m)

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by MoPar~Man, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

After replacing a lot of suspension parts over the last few years, with some improvement noticed with some of these replacements (notably the engine and transmission mount), I have a feeling that the remaining clunking noise I have left is caused by this:

================
    P R O B L E M : S O L U T IO N :
    1986–2001
    Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Chrysler, Dodge, Sable
    • Noise and handling problems can be the result of excessive corrosion in the front member.
    • Corrosion causes deterioration of the stamped metal insert at the front cross member allowing the strut rod and bushing to move within the frame.
    • Movement at the mounting point is exaggerated or multiplied at the wheel because of the distance. This can allow substantial changes in caster and toe.
    http://fme-cat.com/LiveDocs/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_25523.pdf
    ====================

Anyone here have any experience with this moog part? Or in general has putzed around with the strut-rod bushings / washers / nut in order to correct a suspension clunk?

2. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

How are your bushings up front? I suppose it could cause clunking but honestly I think the bar itself is more likely to corrode. Mine lost diameter from rust and yet with new bushings I have no c!unk and no need for this "Solution". My sway bar links are bad again and the only abnormal suspension noise I noticed on my round trip to Boston recently. The sunroof though has something loose and rattled behind me driving me nuts!

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

By the way, the bushings you'd need are:
    1 for each side. RockAuto has these for about $16 a side. You can use 9421372089393916 in the "How did you hear about us" box for 5% off.

I don't know if you replaced those, but mine were completely shot. That's the area that repair kit from Moog is for, you should be able to tell what it looks like when you get those off. I doubt you need said kit, honestly.

4. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

I have several sets of these front rod bushings (the 3 or 4 times I've ordered from rock auto over the past 5 years I usually get a set of these bushings because they're like $3 - $5 for the set, including a couple of those big washers). Yes, a couple of years ago I ordered a set of the strut rods from a local chrysler dealership (seems to be the only way to get them - cost about $75 each I think) and yes, my originals had significant metal-loss due to rusting in the bushing area.

If I hit, say, a speed bump straight-on, there is no knocking or clunking. There's a certain driveway that I turn into from the road, the driveway is a bit of an upward incline from the road so the front wheels experience quite a differential when I turn into the driveway, and that's where I feel a clunk the most. I used to feel/hear a clunk when driving straight on a flat road with patches of uneven pavement but I think that is gone mostly due to putting in new engine + transmission mount - I nearly killed myself changing the transmission mount from physical exertion from manuevering under the car, tight space, etc. I was beat after getting that done. The mount was cheap - like $14 and I really had no way of knowing if mine needed replacing until I took it out, so I could have been doing that all for nothing, but I could see that mine had some torn / separated rubber.

I think (but I don't know) that there is some lateral movement of the tension rod in the frame, maybe because the replacement bushings are too soft (but they feel somewhat hard - more like plastic than rubber). I saw the moog part but then I noticed that the actual insert sleave component is not for chrysler so that really doesn't seem like a solution for chrysler LH cars unless there is something special about the moog bushing.

5. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Where you describe the clunk is more likely either the subframe mounts or the lower control arms (the ball joints are built-in). Note: I had newer Autozone-sourced lower control arms on mine that lasted all of a year. The warranty replacements seem to be built slightly better but I'm not holding my breath on those. I had a clunk and replaced two subframe mounts (the two front ones) and the lower control arms, and now no clunk.

You would know if your tension rods were off and needing attention if you went around an off-camber corner like you describe of that driveway, and you can feel your front wheels pulling and/or tires squealing even at slower speeds. That would be caused by camber being thrown off too much, which would happen on all turns, but be far more noticeable under those conditions. You'd also see wear on the tires, most likely on the outer edge if my thoughts on how LH suspension geometry works is right. If your tires are wearing pretty evenly across the tread pattern, I'd look to subframe bushings and ball joints first and foremost. Also, as I'm sure you know, the sway bar links go bad on these and cause rattles, but that's over every bump.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/info/understanding-tire-wear/

6. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

Yes, I've replaced all 4 subframe bushings recently (last year I think or maybe it was this year). Also the lower control arms (3 or 4 years ago) entire tie-rods (inner and outer), sway bar links, entire struts (replaced the driver's side twice), sway bar bushings many times (trying different bushings). I also wonder if these aftermarket quick-strut assemblies have internal play in them somewhere. I've got a few new (spare) lower control arms I can swap in if I feel like it.

7. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

100% check those control arms for play and see. Seriously, the aftermarket ones are such junk that it's well worth checking.