AF: frozen sliders | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frozen sliders

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by dwgates, Feb 14, 2020.

1. dwgates

dwgates Active Member

For the second time in a week my sliders on the 2016 manvan are frozen and won't open manually or with their motors. Last weekend I was able to scrape out some ice at the top between the door and roof and they freed up. No luck this morning though. Once I get these open and functioning again is there someplace I should be smearing silicon grease or something. It's not extremely cold here in upstate NY so I'm figuring someone from elsewhere in the polar vortex has run into this...The worst part isn't not being able to open the doors it's that after the motor tries and fails the car thinks the door is ajar and leaves the lights on. I'm sure this will mean a new battery if anyone forgets to turn the interior lights off when they shut things down.

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with my 2016 van. Had the same problem with my 2005.
    This is what I do but you shoud do it in the fall or on a nice day above freezing.
    Clean very well the rubber gaskets that surrond the door openings. Then take some silcon spray, spray it on the gasket or a rag and really rub it in. Make sure you realy get it on. The silcon will repel moisture and prevent the freezing.
    Its cheap, easy and quick and it works.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

In my case, a significant addition to resistance to the doors opening and closing was always the door seals, like voiceofstl was saying as well, even if the root cause was different it was still those sticky, gumming door seals contributing quite a bit.... thoroughly cleaning the door seals and the metal surface they seal on really helped.... ...hot soapy water to get dirt off, then when dry, lubricate them with the silicone and water treatment, i.e. armour all....

There is a difference between silicon lube and silicone vinyl treatment, when you see a requirement to use silicone lube they are not talking about Armour All.....

The tracks and wire linked belts, if there is dirt in them, putting lube overtop of the dirt won't stop the dirt from attracting and holding moisture that can freeze.... ....you need to rag the tracks and roller out thoroughly get everything out of there and get is spotless clean, then re-lube it.....

Mile011 likes this.