AF: Fuel taxes, road conditions, driving habits | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel taxes, road conditions, driving habits

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by T_690, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

Illinois fuel tax is now tied to CPI or some other index that will cause the tax to rise every year; no more heavy lifting to increase the fuel tax by actually voting. State double dips as it charges the sales tax on top of the fuel tax.

A few years back a couple of corrupt Illinois politicians (ok - redundant) got in cahots with asphalt manufacturers and decided that ground up asphalt shingles would work in roads. The asphalt duds (sic) cornered the market on recycling shingles and the politicians passed laws to increase the shingle content in road asphalt. The new mix literally crumbled in 2-3 years. The feds finally said no to shingles in roads and a lot of people are now under investigation/indictment.

Also local governments in Illinois are allowed to tax the rain, yep tax the rain. Law passed to allow locals to collect taxes specifically to remedy flooding caused by the rain.

#41 Gerry G, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Neighboring state, Maryland, had a "rain tax" as well. Implemented to discourage growth and encourage environmental concerns, but it was repealed a few years ago. Maryland never met a tax or fee it didn't like.

Interesting article about the Express Lanes (toll roads) on I-95/I-495 a few months ago. Due to the pandemic, far less traffic was utilizing the Express Lanes and revenue was down 80%.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

In MA, the gas tax goes into the general funds, and so is not required by law to be spent on roads. A study found that only about 1/3 of the revenue is used for roads.
    Recently we have gotten a lot of federal dollars for fixing interstates and bridges, but the local roads suffer. My city has some of the worst around, and with 46 sq miles and 300 miles of roads, they can never catch up. They only pave about a mile or two per year.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

The choice is breathing and higher taxes or very poor future for our children. I say tax billionairs because they profit on our sweat and pain.

DC-93 likes this.