Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Chrysler 300 Speculation

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Terrymc1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

Now that we can all be pretty sure that 2020 is the end of the line for the Chrysler 300C as we know it and we have been informed by knowledgeable people that we aren't going to see any powertrain upgrades between now and then (no 392), I wonder if anyone knows what we might see in the 2019 and 2020 model year? Is there any reason to wait for 2019 or 2020 to buy or will these vehicles be the same as the 2018 with maybe different colors or shuffled model names?

In the next 2 models years (final 2 model years) could we see the introduction of start-stop? If so tell me now because I would quick buy before that horror was forced on me!

Are there any looming U-Connect upgrades looming that would make waiting worthwhile? Maybe technology feature additions such as park assist (like ford, lincoln, and buick have)? HUD?

Hopefully it won't be two years of stagnation with only a new paint or two and a few special editions that are all window dressing with no meat (like a sport appearance package -- I don't want something that looks like its fast but isn't -- I'd rather have something that actually has the guts.)

Any rumors or speculation as to what we MIGHT see in the future two model years?

2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'm definitely not an insider, but I'd imagine it will just be minor changes. Appearance packages, color changes, and option package tweaks. I don't see them sinking a bunch of money into adding technology to a model that is ending its lifecycle.

ScramFan likes this.
  3. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Well I certainly hope the 300 gets replaced by something...a CUV or 2 would be a nice start.

FPA ..."Fiat-Pacifica Automobiles" just doesn't have a ring to it :p

BobbiBigWheels and ScramFan like this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The sedans are dying..I think because they are to small, compare a 300 to a 96 LH New Yorker So a suv is proberly coming. Based on the Pacifica platform.
    There may be a 300c RWD based on the FIAT paltform.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

There are supposed to be three new Chrysler products coming (of course we’ve been told that for years, so I take the list with a grain of salt):
    1. Large CUV based of Pacifica
    2. Smaller CUV that is a three row stretch of Cherokee
    3. Something Portal like

6. HEMI345

HEMI345 Member

I don’t think they will end it. It’s an iconic car for Chrysler

7. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I think the same way.

HEMI345 and Terrymc1 like this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The sedan is dying because automakers, including FCA, haven’t done any innovations to it in 20 years.

Someone will come out of nowhere with a brilliant sedan idea, and we will be lamenting “wish FCA had done that.”

9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

What innovations would be exclusive to sedans though? The crossover shape harkens back to the original designs of automobiles, upright seating with room for cargo. I'm assuming, so automotive design historians help me out, that the sedan shape only came to be as a means of streamlining the body for style and some aerodynamic efficiency. Now that engine technology has caught up with the boxy shape to make SUV's/crossovers economically comparable to sedans, people are flocking to the more usefully shaped vehicle. Why people love crossovers but not hatchbacks and wagons is still perplexing to me, but the sedan is becoming an anachronism except when fitted with power or luxury.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  10. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I haven't seen this yet. Every comparable sedan/CUV comparison (same drivetrain) that I've seen has the sedan getting 15% to 20% better highway MPG. Add in the additional upfront cost (higher margin) and they're not economically comparable.
    Agreed. I also don't understand people who love SUVs but not minivans.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  11. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

I would rather see the 300 ended than turned into a CUV. The iconic status isn't just due to the name of the vehicle but what the vehicle's heritage was. A great deal of that heritage was revived when the 300C came back in 2005 and continues to this day. Several online forums are dedicated to it and its kin. I just can't see people having that much enthusiasm for a CUV, regardless of what they name it.

Donte Lindsey and ScramFan like this.
  12. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I doubt they would reuse the 300 name on a CUV. They have done some dumb stuff in the past, but I can't see them doing something as dumb as using the 300 name on a CUV.

Donte Lindsey and freshforged like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I love the security of a trunk in a sedan, compared to the “window shade” cargo cover in an SUV.

I think an emphasis on capacity in a sedan rather than sporty styling may be what brings people back. I hate a sedan with a large trunk, but small opening. The steeply slopes A and C pillars compromise entry/exit. I’d also like a return to normal ground clearance in a car. I never scraped bottom in my old Cordoba and Gran Fury like I did with my 300c on refrozen slush was in the center of the road. Cars can’t tow anything substantial any more. I suppose these changes would erase some of the efficiency cars have.

14. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

It's funny that FCA thinks everyone wants an SUV when the market is swamped with them. I will never get another SUV I'm done with them. I'm pro 300 but FCA believes that SUVs is the way to go, the problem is that is what ever automaker believe. Eventually SUVs are going to get saturated in the market

Bob Lincoln, somber and aldo90731 like this.
  15. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'm the opposite of you. I like the 300, but my next vehicle will probably be an SUV. I'm tired of crawling in and out of cars.

djsamuel and eggwhite93 like this.
  16. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I hear ya -

A Mid-sized PT Cruiser-type profile ( but with contemporary styling cues) with an early-to-mid 1940's trunk on it could be a composite of features which just might make for a good new-age sedan, IMO. Much of the trunk capacity would be behind the rear seat but accessible* from outside the car through a true trunk lid which could pivot up and out of the way **. That space could ( I'd say "should" ) begin directly below the rear window - so it would be relatively high, as wide as possible, with that extra blister shape which essentially squares-off the trunk shape ).

I would think that would also serve as rear crumple space for safety spec requirements.

=======
    * - ... And as we now have, it could be fitted with fold-down rear seats to increase hauling lengthy items and for access from the interior space.

** - Perhaps a stylist could foresee a split-center seam, opening in refrigerator door style, pivoted on the left and right side ... or perhaps not. But there doesn't seem to be a hard-core need to follow a given pattern, unless regulatory restrictions dictate.

17. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Active Member

I feel exactly the same as you. I am tired of talking down into my car and then having to climb back out. I want to sit up taller but there is no way I am driving a truck everyday. Insert SUV/CUV. I also LOVE the 300 I just don’t want to drive it everyday.

18. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Some of us prefer the handling and weight balance in a vehicle that is front engine with the transmission to the rear of that engine weight and the drive axle in the rear of the vehicle versus a front heavy minivan with all the drive train weight on the front tires.

Even with the weight of the front axle on my 4x4 XJ Cherokee's I find those vehicles to have better balance than any minivan I have driven.
    To each his own.

19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We haven't owned a sedan in years. The last one we had was a 1990 Acclaim which I sold in 2008. Since then it has been two CUV's (2009 Journey SXT and a 2010 Journey SXT) and a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 (still have it).

While my truck was in the shop I rented a Toyota Corolla (it's what Enterprise gave me). I tried quickly of climbing out of it. It drove fine and the fuel mileage was good, but I hated being down "low".

If I were to consider a sedan, it would be a Challenger RT or a Charger RT. I doubt I would get a 300.

20. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

It may not be perfect but the ford 500 that became the 2008-09 Tarus was a large car with a small foot print, It had high seating huge back seat huge trunk and great entry/exit large doors. But it didn't sell well.. The LH cars were good but I thought they sat to low The new Impala get good reviews but i hate it, theyn say its a large car but when you sit in the front seat your jammed in with the 'cockpit" style. and you have to climb down into it
    I say come back with a slightly bigger version the Dynasty.

Citation84 likes this.