Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Chrysler 300 Speculation

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Terrymc1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My take away of pre-Daimler success is different. Chrysler had a corporate culture which, given the limited resources that it had at its disposal, was willing to do more with it than the competition.

Chrysler happened to have developed the FWD K-car, and so it spun out compact cars, midsize cars, fullsize cars, sporty coupes, sporty subcompacts, convertibles, minivans and even a compact pickups out of it. This resourcefulness manifested itself beyond FWD, too, when Chrysler took a old Dodge Diplomat, added a plastic cap to the back of the roof, leather to the seats and wire covers to the wheels, and sold tons of Chrysler Fifth Avenues at amazing margins because the development had been paid off years before.

I don't see this happening now. Fiat was ready to ditch LX hadn't it been for market realities that forced them to rethink their plans. I can't imagine the old Chrysler Corp. ditching two state-of-the-art sedans, the way FCA ditched Dart and 200. The resourcefulness of the old culture would have spun those products into other variants until something stuck on the market, and until they had paid off the initial investment.

The pre-Dieselgate success of VWAG was built on a somewhat similar strategy, but adapted for the 21st century, churning humble VWs into highly desirable Audis of all sizes, shapes and configurations.

#41 aldo90731, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Re: tall sedan.
    I wonder how the Imperial concept would look once shrunk/morphed onto the Journey plateture. And for Pete’s sake, use a dark palet for the body rather than that horrible champagne brown! (Still convinced it would have been a knock out in midnight black)

3. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

4. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Although I think details of the Imperial could have (should have) been done much more elegantly than they were, I also think the inspiration was sound. The company should be exploring a tall sedan instead of hopping on the "me too" SUV/CUV parade.

voiceofstl likes this.
  5. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

I think there may some validity to that statement as there are ZERO vehicles on the market like the old LHS. A significant number of people would buy it just because it's different. The site lines on it are still beautiful today. Huge windows, amazing ride. It was like riding on a cloud.

It was 18/26 with a 3.5L V6. That's crazy.

voiceofstl, AvengerGuy and djsamuel like this.
  6. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

You are probably right.
    Just as the big three become all CUV/SUV/Pickups sedans will become all the rage probably led by the German & Korean Manufacturers.
    Many of these CUVs i see on the road are just fwd minivans without the sliding doors.

Citation84, jimboy and aldo90731 like this.
  7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I kinda thought Cadillac was going to go with a sort of two mode ride with the magnetorheological suspension; a firm sport ride and a soft, riding on air ride. The technology probably can't separate the two far enough though. I do wonder what the reaction would be to a Chrysler concept car that flaunted a super soft ride. I'd love to see a concept LHS that featured a super soft cruising ride, a hybrid that replicated the old big torque V8's, a trunk that opened wide, and comfortable seating for 6, be it 3 + 3 or 2/2/2. It would probably end up looking look like the "Homer".:confused: Maybe Millennials go for it in a big way like fedoras and mustache wax...

8. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

One of the design aspects of the original LHS I really appreciate is the minimal sheet metal. It just rests in place. The redesigns that followed tried giving it a bulkier/more muscular looking front end which culminated in the 300/Charger designs that have a very squared off look. That worked for awhile too, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the long/sleek/unsculpted look.

9. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

The reason there are no vehicles on the market like the old LHS could be that there is little to no demand for them. I don't know, though. A car like the LHS doesn't really appeal to me too much.

10. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

The manufacturers dropped the ball with FWD by filling them with space robbing consoles, short windows, coupe like styling and compromised interiors. The usefulness edited out.

The industry killed the mid to large 2 door coupes in the same way by making the rear area uninhabitable with lack of legroom, fixed rear windows and no headroom.

For years we were told about the room and packaging marvels that FWD could provide. And at first the function and flat floors made for useful vehicles that met a great number of people's needs without having to resort to an SUV. If more room was required a station wagon version provided it.

Chrysler could revolutionize the sedan market. But K.T. Keller is still dead.

11. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Don't forget zip ties, duct tape, hand cuffs and a stun gun.

12. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

I don't see another gen 300 even though the vehicle still sells in the margin of 3k per month and being already 6-7 years old. Even Mercedes don't redesign something every seven years and may ride on the same platform for 14-15 years.

The 300 is cash cow right now and can be adopted to the next Charger platform. Would it sell? I do believe it could.

Southern Cali - there are owners who want to be different and not the common found on the road Ford Fusion (snoring), Chevy Impala (love the design), or the Toyota Camry (hum drum boring vehicle think they are driving performance). Since Nissan brand sells across the southern border in numbers, the Altima (blue smoke and paint pilling vehicle) is number one among those of that culture. I rather drive something different. Even this morning, the car for being almost 150K miles is still getting 41-43MPG going to work (down hill - gravity assist) and 28-31MPG coming home (driving the Fallbrook canyon) - 102 mile round trip.

Donte Lindsey and Deckard_Cain like this.
  13. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

14. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

JavelinAMX, Deckard_Cain and Terrymc1 like this.
  15. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Take the shape of the escala photos
    And merge the design elements of the manta concept and there you go.

2022 Chrysler 300 I know I'm dreaming but I would love the 300 to take the shape of the escala.
    Look at the trunk area with this design elements it would be a complete change to the entire genre Screenshot_20171125-104734.jpg Screenshot_20171125-104628.jpg
    Screenshot_20171125-104648.jpg Screenshot_20171125-160602.jpg

HEMI345, Donte Lindsey and bluskye like this.
  16. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Hiderous bumper design...Too much Japanese blunted frontal look.

17. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Too much 'me too' for my tastes. Wish they could go back to the 'formal look' in the roof design. Yes I know aerodynamics and all that stuff.
    Seems like the designers could figure out a way around that and come up with a design that is really distinctive (much like the 300 looks today).

jimboy likes this.
  18. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I would like to see this car

[​IMG]

with this front end.

[​IMG]

I think that would make an awesome next-gen 300.

ScramFan and wtxiceman like this.
  19. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I definitely dont like the manta front end but I definitely like the front end of the Chrysler suv. FCA should treat Chrysler like Audi make the 300 the head and copy the design in all other forms I can live with that. It would make design easier. I believe it would work.

somber and Deckard_Cain like this.
  20. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I agree with you. the front end of this sketch of a Chrysler SUV should be the basis for the looks of every new Chrysler. Clearly the rounded look of the 200 didn't work for sedans so go back to the 300 boxy look.

freshforged, somber and ScramFan like this.