AF: Future of the Hemi, updated | Page 13 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the Hemi, updated

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by James A, Jan 5, 2018.

1. dsooby

dsooby Active Member

To expand on this, I just spoke to one of my buddies who has a new F-150 with the start stop installed on his pickup. He claims it's not really noticable on his truck at all, and that says alot given how picky and anal-retentive he is about things like that. I suppose there is hope, but they are completely different drive trains so who knows.

2. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

TripleT
    I bought a hellcat to solve the problem ...

3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Do you doubt that I have done this? It is a requirement for Hairy Chest Hairy Chested Curmudgeons crew ...... if spotted passing or sitting near a Prius without gunning it, another member can pull your card.

4. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

MDS is fine, just keep the $#@^& thing running.

James A likes this.
  5. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Again, it's not that big of a deal. Disable it if you don't like it. It will probably take about a second, maybe two, to reach over and push the off button.

TripleT likes this.
  6. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Two words:

Active

Exhaust

I was once challenged with the question, "Where are you going to use 707 horsepower?", to which I curtly replied, "Everywhere I take it!" to a chorus of thundering applause (that is to say, laughter).

#246 VoiceOfReason, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

The first time i saw a hellcat on the street he was going the other way. I was stopped a set of lights away and when he nailed it "it was like thunder" (lots of cloud cover that day) and i thought.... holy crap ! Needless to say mine was already ordered...

UN4GTBL, TripleT and djsamuel like this.
  8. Don W

Don W Active Member

In my opinion it's a good thing they're dropping the 6.4 SRT and working on a new HEMI. The challenger itself is heavy and adding 6.4 liters of displacement hurts even more. It is impressive however, that you can get low 4 seconds out of that thing, now that's the work of the HEMI. Hopefully the engineers can pull of something with a small amount of displacement but high output. I think a turbo 5.7 would be great and probably is the solution. I also hope and will probably see a more aerodynamic and lighter challenger to go with that.

#248 Don W, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
    Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I was under the impression that the 5.7 was going to be replaced in most of the large cars while the SRT engines will live on with updates.

UN4GTBL and Max Wedge like this.
  10. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I'm with you about the mandate, I'm for freedom of choice. But I am very interested in fuel economy, and would love to see a 50+ MPG Mopar being offered. I'm also super excited about the Pacifica Hybrid getting mid-30s MPG after charge is depleted. My beloved Neon averaged 34.5 MPG for the 370K miles I had it, and it's surreal that the Pacifica Hybrid can match it.

11. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Dropping the 6.4??

I, for one, want more displacement and more power!!

12. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Yes, I was also under the impression from Bob's quote above that both the 6.4 and 6.2 SRT motors would survive for now.

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Correct. HELLCAT and Apache survive.

14. BillyRaff

BillyRaff Active Member

Do we expect the start/stop to cross over to the charger/challenger in 19 with the ram?

15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

what for when the voltage changes.

16. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Is there any code name for the 3rd HEMI?

17. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

UN4GTBL and James A like this.
  18. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Larger displacement does not mean greater weight. If I’m not mistaken, the new hemi is the same physical block in all its sizes. Additional weight to the car comes from additional cooling, larger brakes and wheels, and in the hellcat form, supercharger and required coolers. Adding turbos to the 5.7 would increase weight dramatically, and probably put in hellcat weight territory

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  19. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I believe the hemis motor mounts were chosen to accentuate the noise and vibration. Hopefully during r and d engineers will choose an active motor mount that will isolate much better during start/stop.

20. James A

James A Active Member

6.4 correct? a lot of highway mileage to get that number? I saw about the same with a 5.7 Chally sitting in a ton of traffic and street driving.