AF: Future of the Hemi, updated | Page 15 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the Hemi, updated

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by James A, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Aftermarket already has for FCA vehicles;
    Smart Stop Start (at http://www.smartstopstart.com/ )

2. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

3. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

BLASPHEMY, sir!!! lol

I loved my Caliber SXT... and everything about it, Sunburst Orange, sunroof, the much-maligned CVT, and of course.... hatchback... I LOVE hatchbacks/wagons.

4. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Other than the MASSIVE front headlights, I liked it's looks. Especially in SRT trim. With a pair of eyelids, and black housing headlights, they look much better IMO.

[​IMG]

The interior was garbage pre-refresh.

An SRT Caliber with the refreshed interior would be a great toy car IMO.

Agreed!

suzq044 and ScramFan like this.
  5. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Perhaps hes wondering if the supposed Hemi upgrades that you guys have mentoned will spawn a new engine block design kind of like how a Hellcat Block it a strengthened Apache. And should that be the situation will it recieve its own code name. Ex. Tomcat.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  6. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Will there be a new HEMI engine? I mean not an updated version of 5.7 or 6.4. But With a new displacement, such as 5.0 and with more hp.

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Not that I know of. Upgrades will be made to those two engines for the future cars.

8. oh2o

Level III Supporter

We might see the "revised" 6.4 launching in the current gen Charger/Challenger.

James A, dakota21, MoparJoe and 4 others like this.
  9. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Thats more along the line as to what I was thinking. But I'm not nearly as informed as you fellows.

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I can say we will be seeing some benefits from Demon going to HELLCAT models in 2019... trickle down.

11. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Yes.

12. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Speaking of the CVT, I hated it in my 14 Patriot, not so much the performance, but the sound was horrible. Not enough sound deadening I guess, I drove a Honda at work and it was fine with a CVT but the patriot just mouned like a sick cow at part throttle.

14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Agreed.

I drove a similar year Altima, and it was rather decent.

Theoretically, they are almost a perfect transmission...

15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

CVT Cow Variable Tone.

16. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Mike V. and UN4GTBL like this.
  17. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

18. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

If passion is what makes you happy it is perfectly reasonable to follow your passions.
    ;)
    (or to at least live vicariously through absurdity)

grungerockjeeper and Bajanbuoy like this.
  19. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

Based on what? Looks are subjective (Ill take a mini Magnum over some blobby sedan ANY day--looking at you, 2gen Neon) but the Caliber is one of those vehicles that always gets lambasted with things like 'they suck' or 'theyre junk', yet that carries absolutely ZERO hard evidence. They sold relatively well, and Ive known a handful of current and past owners...all loved them and say theyre pretty trouble free. Yes, the first versions had plasticky rubbermade DCX interiors...but they don't fall apart like most of GM's filth. Even the CVT which is a shared design with Nissan's was properly executed in this platform and doesn't have anywhere near the issues as most.

Caliber was a good car, even if it wasn't universally appreciated. It should still be in production right now. Pulling the plug on the SRT variant was a HUGE mistake.

20. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

The 304 V8 (last MY was 1981) and 4.0 I-6 (debuted 1987) were NEVER on the menu at the same time. So its a moot point anyway, but the 304 was saddled with crappy late 70s emissions de-smogging garbage. The 4.0 was an evolution of the 258. What if the 304 had the same wizardry applied to it as the 4.0 in the mid-80s?

The Magnum 318 WAS produced alongside the 4.0 and if that was a factory option on the Wrangler...4 point WHO? I like the I-6's for what they are. But the biggest flaw in CJs after '81 and all Wranglers is no V8 option. My own personal reasoning is that I want to put duals and loud pipes on it to hear that V8 rumble like my first CJ back in HS. May not make sense to you or anyone else, but that's whats kept me from ever considering a brand new Jeep.

the mild hybrid setup is a HORRIBLE choice for the Wrangler. Bone stock, and assuming they'll stay that way 100% and only driven by soccer moms, and the 2nd or 3rd owner wont want to modify it...you might have a point here. But what about longevity? Hybrids are inviting an army of gremlins to show up, for one thing. What happens when you try to hop up the motor, or even install a lift kit? Does the PCM completely fry itself? Does it adapt? Who knows? We DO know that the batteries only last so long before they become useless, expensive to replace toxic waste dumps. Because a hybrid can function with dead batteries on the gas motor alone (much like my 10 year old iPod on my desk that stays plugged in) all those old Priuses you see running in parking lots on the gas motor still move when you put the key in, so to their oblivious non-car people owners, the car still works. The V6 is tried and true. No expensive problems waiting to hatch. You can get a manual or automatic. Theres that hybrid stigma too...no one wants a Jeep that shares any of its DNA with a prius. The crowd that cares about carbon emissions and environmentalism is directly at odds with the crowd that lifts their Jeeps and hangs zombie apocalypse armor onto them. Perception is VERY much reality especially where personal bias and passion are concerned.