AF: Future Product Plans (merged) | Page 37 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Product Plans (merged)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 24grant24, May 23, 2012.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It will be easier for them to add even bigger screen in the future.

2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Welcome back!:)

ScramFan likes this.
  3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I would think it also allows smaller screen sizes to be implemented without having the large area of black plastic around it that is still to common on FCA's smaller screens. It screams cheap.

thebluegoat and page2171 like this.
  4. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I like it, why? because it looks Unique. If the screen was Horizontal, it would make the Aviator look like a direct Rebadge.

5. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

Another day, another voila moment on automotive thinking about "Just put an iPad/Device on the dash"...
    Today, Everyday Driver podcast #364, at the 25 minute mark...

Almost SEVEN YEARS LATER, the automotive minds catch up with mine! :)

PODCAST LINKS: (I met 2of3 of these guys, counting Chance, at Pebble Beach Concours this year - nice guys)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ScramFan likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The "separate" looking screen has an advantage and disadvantage.
    The advantage is that by having the "tacked on" looking screen, the rest of the dash can flow more freely and look less blocky because it doesn't have to surround the screen.
    The disadvantage is it always looks tacked on.

gforce2002, Chebby7, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  7. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Agree, the reason it looks bad to me is that it "looks" like an old iPad. At least have something with a smaller bezel so the screen goes to the edge of the device. Plus it seems to me that it will be VERY distracting in that location.
    From a review I watched, that is the optional 10.1" screen..that standard size is 8" in the same spot.

cygnus likes this.
  8. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

That looks terrible, reminds me of something Tesla would do.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

10. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I prefer the look of the screen integrated into the dashboard, like Ram has done with the 12 inch display in DT.

Don W, tlc and Adventurer55 like this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I can’t find any pics of the standard smaller screen...everything shows the optional 10.1 screen. Just wondering if the smaller screen looks less out of place.

12. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

Zagnut27 likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Looks like an aftermarket add on.

tlc likes this.
  14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The Predator is testing Fords now.:)

Kind of disjointed dash design, but to each their own. What really drives me nuts is the console intruding on leg room. Look at how the drivers knee is right on the hard edge. Not only is that uncomfortable, I would think that would be an immediate impact point during a collision.

Chebby7, tlc, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I thought he was a Mopar Guy...that treasonous SOB. Maybe they pay better....:)

Thanks. It looks less like an iPad glued on there, and more like a Kindle. :D

hmk123 likes this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Is that a completely new interior? I only ask because if it isn't, then the reason for the tablet-like screen is that it would only have needed a rework of the plastics in that central vent cluster, and no change to any other part.

As it is, it's a very cheap way of keeping the number of distinct parts down. In-dash systems need different dash surrounds for different screen-sizes, this needs no change to the dash, meaning that the panel could even be fitted later in the manufacturing process (or even swapped at a dealership).

However, and don't get me wrong here, I'm making no apologies for Ford: it looks every bit as cheap as it is.

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Screens are a distraction and a PIA in a vehicle. Anything that makes you take your eyes off the road to operate is a negative safety issue. Remember when automakers designed switch gear with a tactile difference, that was so you could tell by feel what control you were using, It was a good idea then and would be a good idea now.

somber and TheViking like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I can't imagine why anyone would want to reach blindly for a control and try different controls until they find the right one.

Quickly looking over to tap the control you need is a much better and quicker solution.

19. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

It's new.

It's a real challenge for automakers. There's very intense HMI benchmarking going on with these infotainment systems. In terms of minimal driver distraction, the Germans were on the right path with the central knob combined with button shortcuts. However strong customer feedback has caused all of them to slowly implement touchscreen capability (with Audi going all in) in order to wow the customer and make things look more "advanced".

Audi was actually testing some really cool HMI concepts but the board got scared and they went with their current touchscreen set up.

20. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Like in a fighter jet.