AF: Future Product Plans (merged) | Page 38 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Product Plans (merged)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 24grant24, May 23, 2012.

1. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

This is a generational shift... the iPhone generation will be more adept to this transition. Previous generation are used to actual buttons and keys.

tlc, wilbur and Ryan like this.
  2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

NOT, I have to change screens to get to the controls for heated seats in my 2017, My older car has a button that is always in the same spot, ready to use. The screens are used by manufactures because they are cheaper, the sad thing is they sucker the consumer into paying more for the favor.

wvutuba likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

TripleT had a valid point. Younger people are likely to be fine using a touch screen for many functions. I will always want a volume knob and tuner knob, but I don't have a problem using my touch screen for most of the other functions.

Don W likes this.
  4. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

While I,m on the subject with my unpopular opinions concerning touch screens, here’s another subject. It is time for the Government to step in and mandate standardized control placement for vehicles. I have three vehicles and they all have different locations for headlight, wipers and other safety equipment, let alone the new cars over complicated touch screen I have already complained about. My motorcycles all have controls in the same places ever since the Gov. mandated it in 1972, it works reasonably well and would be a good idea for cars also.

5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Dang it not everything is a freaken conspiracy...…. JEEEZZZ the consumer isn't a Sucker and you aren't a cranky old foggy. We are in a generational shift. I worked with the Cell phone manufactures at the launch of iPhone.... they were sure that no one would except it for 3 reasons. NO buttons, short battery, and fragile device. They were deadly wrong.

Younger iPhone generation prefer the touch screen access it as natural as a hitting a button is for you. FCA has been doing it best to have redundant feature. Yes a few the lesser used get a screen only. IDK what FCA product you have but all mine heated seats come up on the start up screen at startup for quick access.

GasAxe, ScramFan and Ryan like this.
  6. Satellite Saint

Satellite Saint Active Member

I would have to disagree with that. Big Brother is in our lives way too much as it is. To have the gov't say where the controls should be in our cars I think is overreach

GasAxe, dakota21, MoparMantis and 3 others like this.
  7. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Agreed …. all that would be guaranteed by that is it would be the worst compromise possible and that innovation would END! How long have pedals been in the same location? People still get confused in a panic.

GasAxe, MoparMantis, jclick and 3 others like this.
  8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Although I was fond of the bright pedal on the floor, operating all for pedals in some situations was pretty hard with only 2 feet.

jclick likes this.
  9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Going down the road and undergoing butt roast I must bring up a new screen to back it down a notch. Sitting in the driveway is not the problem, adjusting on the roll is.

10. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I thought I could handle the touch screen in a car, but I have found that it has made me a less safe driver. I love the volume/source change switches behind the steering wheel - those have been a big positive toward safety. But several times I have found myself taking my eyes away from the road to go through menus. I believe I'm just lucky I didn't hurt someone during those times.

I will say that I'm an old guy, but much of my career has been producing technology which enables these things. But I don't think this is a generational thing where younger drivers handle it in a more safe matter. Eyes off the road is a bad way to be regardless of the driver's age. In fact, I tend to see more young drivers wandering across lanes while they are absorbed with their rectangles.

Maybe the safest way to control car features is to improve the Voice Response processing to the level of those Echo/Google Home type voice command systems. If I could control things by saying something like "300, I've had enough heated seat now", that would be better. With the current VR, I have to know the specific commands it responds to, and my old brain keeps forgetting them.

11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

What is your vehicle? On newer versions of the Uconnect system, you can add a shortcut to the dock to control the heated seats or whatever function you want without having to bring up the controls screen.

I currently have the driver heated seat control in the dock. When it gets warmer, I'll change that back to the ventilated seat control. It's really simple.

#751 Ryan, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    TripleT, HotCarNut and Mopar Jerry like this.
  12. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I hate touch screens in cars. But i know my next new car will have one. Won’t have any choice.

Tin Man 2 likes this.
  13. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

Try voice commands a bit. It's more responsive than you think.

valiant67 likes this.
  14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Headlights are Basically Automatic these days, Same goes for Wipers. why should there be bottons for Safety Equipment if they should be on AT ALL TIMES????

and did you REALLY compare a Car to a Motorcycle??

GasAxe and TripleT like this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Is it? Or is it a solution to a problem that has already been solved. I remember when a co-worker showed off voice control in his first gen Ford Edge. He would push the voice control button and say Climate Control, it came back with Ready, he would say Temperature and it came back with Ready and then he would say Warmer. I asked him to get into my Dodge Journey and said watch. I turned the temperature dial and said All Done.

I would argue talking to a voice system takes at least some concentration...

16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Operating a touch screen might feel natural to younger customers, but human vision hasn't changed because the iphone exists. Operating a screen means taking your eyes off the road for a quarter second at least. That is too long for the brain's "scene memory" to survive intact, so the driver looking back up may not notice a potential hazard that moved into view in that brief time.

This is all experimentally proven and known for decades, which is why car manufacturers have spent so much on "eyes up" cabin controls in the past.

jclick, gforce2002, somber and 3 others like this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Voice control? Newest UConnect has it.

Ryan likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I have no problem with the touch screen control for heated seats or wheel. Whether leaving from home or work, I always get stopped at the first traffic light and almost always turn them off then. Compared to where the physical switched were hid on some other vehicles I've driven, I don't find it distracting.

If it bothered me, I'd use the voice control, if available. But it's never bothered me.

19. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Exactly, ergonomics is a science, not a matter of personal taste.

Tin Man 2 likes this.
  20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I do get it that voice control can be useful for such things as inputting an address. But for simple tasks I prefer a button. And personally I still would prefer a real button for the seat control in our cars with the 8.4. It works ok but if I had a choice...

Tin Man 2 likes this.