Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas pouring out of charcoal canister

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by ddomin2002, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ddomin2002

ddomin2002 New Member

Good evening everyone!

i went to the gas station to fill up today, (first day really driving the car, and gauge always shows empty) and i had drove about 150 miles or so, it only took 2 gallons and clicked off. continued with my trip, made it about 30 miles and car started bucking and stalled out. after a minute was able to get it to start, but running really terrible with no power at all was able to get it to pull into a safe place. figured made it was out of gas, got someone to bring me a container of gas and it started right up.

Once i got it home, i put some more gas in it and walked around and noticed gas dripping from behind the pass headlight from the rubber canister line.

Any ideas where i should start?

Thanks!

2. ddomin2002

ddomin2002 New Member

Sorry this is a 1990 Imperial with the 3.3L

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Was the car parked on an incline with the nose pointing down? If the tank is full and the canister is lower than the tank, it can siphon fuel into the canister and onto the ground.
    Is there air pressure when you release the gas cap? Pressure build up with a warped (inward) plastic tank top can flood the evaporative lines and canister.
    Diagnosis first.

4. ddomin2002

ddomin2002 New Member

yes, i was parked with the nose down in my drive way. there did not seem to be pressure built up behind the cap when i opened it.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

It is possible, with the angle of the parking, that the fuel expanded and pushed it into the canister. If there is still fuel in the canister, if you can, pull it off, drain it the best you can, and blow compressed air into it to dry it out. Do this outside with lots of fresh air, not a closed area, then check all your loses and tubes to make sure they too are not blocked or plugged, or leaking from cracks. Although this rarely happens, and shouldn't happen, it did, so it is a matter of ensuring there isn't a check valve that is bad, a friend had the same thing happen in a Honda, caused by topping off the gas tank a little too much and backing up the same way, so don't feel bad.

6. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

Be very careful!! I had an 86 Voyager that caught on fire at the vapor canister. It caught the tire on fire, burned through some hoses, charred the headlight wiring harness.... and as the firefighter was putting out the flames with an extinguisher, the AC high pressure hose ruptured and the oil mist blasted a ball of flames right at the firefighter. his protective gear; mainly the face shield, saved him from bad burns.

Ultimately, I got a total loss settlement from the insurance company and then had to kick in a few hundred of my own money to have the dealership fix it. I went on to drive it another 11 years and traded it in in 2009. We never could figure out what the ignition source was, but I had just parked it at work, saw what I thought was steam, opened the hood and saw a flame around by the canister. I ran to a business to call the FD. Ignition may have occurred when I shut the headlights off.... or maybe a relay clicked and generated a spark.

Anyhow, there were plenty of witnesses so I didn't have too many issues with the insurance co.

Fix any gasoline leaks immediately!