AF: Getting hard to hold my gas | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting hard to hold my gas

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by movinyou, Nov 26, 2019.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving, The fuel filler neck has some rust pits on it and has to be replaced. Finding a replacement filler neck is easy enough. I would like to get the whole hose assembly out to work on it properly. How do I release the quick disconnects on the tank end of the filler hose?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

What vehicle?
    My 92 Dakota had pinholes in the upper filler neck a few years ago, and I found one online to replace it. There is also a fiber-reinforced rubber hose that connects it to a lower metal pipe that goes into the tank and grommet. No quick-disconnects there. The rubber hose was held on with screw clamps.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Quick-disconnect hose end 'rings' are usually 'pinched' to release them. Use caution as aged, cold plastic is brittle and can break.
    Some have 'horseshoe' locking clips. Some use a tool similar to A/C hose coupling disconnects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Silly me. It's a '99 Dakota 5.2. The vent line is easy enough to figure out but the main fill line is the buzzard.

Attached Files:

5. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

FYI the build date is 30 July 98. I know there seems to be a change in the ' 99 model year after 4 Jan 99. Might be relevant.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Never saw anything like that. Sorry I can't help.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It looks like a 'sleeve' on the large hose that needs to be pulled back. You might want to push the hose further onto the nipple first in order to release the sleeve. Either a retainer under the sleeve will be exposed or the sleeve itself is the retainer that can be pulled back. Then pull the hose off the nipple.
    I can see the 4 barbs on the circumference of the smaller hose. Again, you may want to first push the hose further onto the nipple, push the white nylon ring/barbs back into the hose, then try to pull the hose off of the nipple.
    It may take both hands and some type of 'forked' tool or 'pick' to get in there to release the coupling latch.

[​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  8. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

This is almost getting weird. I looked at the e-manuals Mr. Imperial Crown sent me a while back and it had nothing like it. But, at the same time, it did not have a '99 Dakota either. On the same token, there is one complete assembly for sale on ebay that they some how managed to get off in 1 piece. Probably like changing plugs on a Hemi without an extension. HELP!!!!!!!!!!