Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulia Test Drives

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by AlfaCuda, May 10, 2016.

1. T_690

T_690 Active Member

2. serpens

serpens Active Member

Sad to see interior quality isn't where it should be but huzzah! The rest of the car seems like it came together very nicely indeed.

Prabhjot, BASONE88 and Mike V. like this.
  3. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

Wow! What a superb review. The reviewer calls the Giulia: unique! He seems to like the very clean and essential design of the interior, too.

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I must disagree with it if we know who supplies what to each of them and who was example of new interior technologies at Frankfurt auto show.

5. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

6. T_690

T_690 Active Member

7. serpens

serpens Active Member

Your message isn't very clear. What are you trying to say? I actually know someone who personally drove the Giulia for over 100 miles and he too confirmed the interior wasn't top of class.

Mike V. likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This has been my biggest fear from the start. They CANNOT get anything wrong with this car.

Very disappointing.

Mike

jerseyjoe and HotCarNut like this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Off-course there is pot1 from supplierA for German car makers and pot2 for all other. :rolleyes:

10. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

I suppose they're benchmarking against BMW inteior- and switchgear quality, while trumping them (?) on interior design, than against these days uber-rich Mercedes?

Me feels the overall interior impact will be a function of option and trim-chosen. remember: they're going for the 'company car' market with the basic diesels in europe.

They'll have to trim-up the variants for the usa and the china markets?

11. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

There's more to an interior than the materials.

Audi has a deserved reputation for superb interior finish. Actually driving their cars is about as exciting as being in a dentist's waiting room: the only thrill of going fast in an Audi is from wondering if you'll be caught speeding, but the interior certainly gives the impression of being very well assembled, and they provide every kind of trim option you could wish for.

Alfa needed to beat BMW on interior quality, not Audi. Alfa can counter Audi with an offer of superior dynamics and driver engagement, just as BMW does; but it can't be inferior to BMW on any score.

Happily, from these reviews, it looks like the QV is a car that's better appointed, more comfortable and more practical than an M3, while being every bit as good to drive. The base Giulia comes out well too: they don't make it very clear, but the AutoExpress review is about a 2.2-litre diesel-engined Giulia, not the QV.

12. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Yeah and that base interior will be no offered in some other markets. But that base interior is same on Germans. It's weird for US drivers because most of them did not experienced for example BMW 318d or Audi A4 2.0 TDI 150 HP with Business trim.

Prabhjot likes this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Active Member

And that's very different from preproduction Giulias and production ones which already can be seen at various Italian Alfa Romeo dealerships.

14. T_690

T_690 Active Member

MJAB likes this.
  15. serpens

serpens Active Member

Agreed. My contact told me it was by no means a deal-breaker and the rest of package was very compelling. I personally just fear the vitriol that might be hurled the Giulia's way in regards to the interior in a comparison test by an American magazine. Hopefully it won't be a big sticking point.

#16 serpens, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Prabhjot and Mike V. like this.
  16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The second reviews will be all about poking holes in the quality of the Guilia... Especially in the US.

The car has to be 100% perfect. Being "Italian" is not an excuse.

Mike

HotCarNut, Prabhjot and serpens like this.
  17. serpens

serpens Active Member

It's just not quality, but fit. And that was lacking a bit on the tester Giulias as well. Still time to improve but I'd rather Alfa deliver a tight car right from the start given the skeptics out there.

I see what you're saying now, but my contact drives a new Lexus IS350 F-Sport. So it wasn't just in comparison to the German competition. He mentioned the fitment wasn't all the great either but he understood these were early models.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I don't understand. In the text you quoted, I was referring to Audi.

Are you saying that the early Giulias are better, or worse than the production models?

19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Clearly worse.