Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulia Test Drives

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by AlfaCuda, May 10, 2016.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

You have a very favorable idea of a car which isn't operating while the driver sits helpless to do anything. The video I shared showed the car stopping, not because the driver decided to stop. The car chose to stop in its own timing.

"Needs only a sw update ..." = break down.

"Hurry to get the car for a sale" = Purposely poor build process.

So, the owner pays to become a Beta Tester? Is that what Alfa is advertising? If they do (which they haven't), and then sell the car, then the one who purchases it would be delighting in the fact that she/he could be given such an honor. It would also be on their shoulders to have knowingly obtained a lesser product. In fact, we hear owners detailing the failure/failures they're experiencing. And in the Video I shared, the comparison tester was commenting on both sides : Hopeful of a car made with such positive specs, but coupled with wonder as to the presence of the problem. He put as good a face on the failure as he could - and it's still quite bad.

aldo90731 likes this.
  2. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

sofware bug isnt break down or electric gremlin, break down is for example engine failure. hurry for sale isnt "Purposely poor build process." they take risk it can be good or bad, but its not "Purposely poor". almost all new cars need sw updates, this isnt any Alfa specific thing. If your mobile phone needs sw update , has it break down? if its working some how? if yes then all our phones has break downs as you say, there isnt any phone (and possible any car) in market which doesnt need sw update for what ever reason it might be.

#542 Andy69, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

If your phone repeatedly shut down or went into limp mode (no apps, just phone calls) multiple times right after purchase, most rational people would be upset.

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It is a bug related to the use of the left foot to brake while at same time using th eright foot on accelerator.
    It should not be considered really a "bug" since the fact that the car starts to slow down and brakes is a safety feature that most automakers use nowdays. Does someone remember what happened with Toyota and Lexus "sudden unintended acceleration" case?
    When there are conflicting signals from user input devices (brake and accelerator) the system turns to the safest option => protect the occupants => slow down since something is "wrong".
    The software will be corrected to let drivers use longer brake + accelerator at same time.

To add that on Giulia Quadrifoglio, also in race mode, not all safety systems are switched off, as some driver would like more.

Prabhjot and AlfaCuda like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

6. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Some updates in line for the Giulia in the future:

Some diesel versions in Europe will get power bump and SCR. New interior color options like for example "ice".
    Also there will be a higher version of Veloce which look more like a Quadrifoglio. On exterior most likely openings on bonnet. In the inside carbon fiber inserts and leather wrapped doors and dashboard. I presume this will preview North American version of Veloce which will have 350 HP version of 2.0 GME with 48V system, most likely also an electrical turbocharger.
    Quadrifoglio version comes with TV (torque vectoring) rear diff. Currently it's not an option on other/lesser Giulias. Right now you can add LSD to other Giulias which then come with Q2 badge id it's RWD but also it's an option on AWD/Q4 Giulias. That will change in the future and some of lesser Giulias if not all will be offered with TV as an option.
    In the future for Giulia we should expect Full LED front lights, 360┬░camera, SIM compatibility for infotainment...
    Regarding infotainment. All Giulias equipped with 8.8" infotainment come with touchpad but it's disabled in software. MY2018 for US is in its 3rd week of production. It has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. With current version of firmware Android Auto is not enabled because it did not pass validation yet.

7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Also BMW iDrive has no Android Auto, but has Apple CarPlay.
    The base system, at least for most BMW models, the same now used in Giulia/Stelvio, is GENIVI.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Drive magazine (Greece)
    With english subtitles.

Driver capabilities a little bit higher than normal. :)

11. Morty

Morty Active Member

Very entertaining!! Thank you!
    It is good to see it moving on regular roads as well, not only on track. Decent driver.
    @MJAB .

12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

No matter what, the new Alfas we're going to have problems. Even if they set recorded for reliability, any time any one of them broke, in even the tiniest manner, that failure would be blared across the internet, from the far reaches of the Amazon to the highest farthest peaks of the Antarctic. Everyone would make sure that the "New Alfas" were just like the old ones.

Reintroducing Alfa, no matter the case, was going to be tough. There was no way they were going to outrun their past, no matter what.

Prabhjot likes this.
  13. Morty

Morty Active Member

Especially in the US where you have had no experience with the 156 and 159. My ex wife had a 156 Sportwagon for 4 years without any problem whatsoever, my own Spider is now 10 years old, and have never ever had an unplanned visit to the dealer. There is nothing wrong with the Alfa quality compared to the competition.

14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

he is pushing the hell out of that Giulia lol

Morty likes this.
  15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Now, if only they were smart enough to make one model that works in Alaska, Hawaii and the Lower 48.

Alfa seems better suited elsewhere. If they're hitting all the marks everywhere else, why tempt fate with proven 'circumstances' being so difficult to sort out.

16. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

:confused:

17. serpens

serpens Active Member

This is the type of defeatist mentality I can't support. If these Alfas proved to be reliable all of the articles would've been saying "no issues to report during test, but we'll be interested to see how these fare long-term." Much like a Jaguar that makes it through a long-term test with just a few issues, there would be some words written out of surprise and the day would go on. Instead, we get Alfa falling right into the trap right from day 1.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. Morty

Morty Active Member

Well, they work in Norway, they work in Finland, they work in Spain, where during August we suffer app 40 C.....
    They work everywhere, apart from in the Med, the Atlantic and the Pacific.
    Now the question is: What are the proven circumstances????

Prabhjot likes this.
  19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I should have been more clear. I am rooting for Alfa, of the few folks that I know that have new Alfas, love them, and have not had issues. This is what I suspect a majority of folks will report.

I was just saying, that in my opinion, a lot of automotive journalists had already made their minds that they were going to doom the Alfas from the get go. If the Alfas don't have issues, that does not sell. Saying "we'll see how they do in the long term" doesn't sell ad copy.

That said, I am not absolving Alfa, I agree, the launch should have been done better, and the dealerships, especially, should have been very, very cautiously awarded (that is wheee most of he problem lies, imo).

20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I love cars, but I have never had any interest in Alfas. Maybe because it's just been an inconsequential brand where I lived.

When I was in high school, rich people in Latin America got their kids sexy Alfas...but even then they had a reputation for expensive, ongoing breakdowns.

My interest in Alfas grew 30 years later when Giulia launched and was plastered on the covers of the N.A. magazines. It is one sexy car. Then I covered the Stelvio reveal at the Los Angeles show for Allpar and saw a drop gorgeous CUV. But since then, all I have read in the press has been how great Alfas drive and look, but...but...but...but...

I haven't owned an Alfa. I have never even driven an Alfa. So in that respect I am representative of the average auto enthusiast in N.A.

Sorry, I cannot believe that the whole Nort America automotive press is against Alfa Romeo. Besides CR, that's not the pattern I've seen. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Those auto editors would love to write good stuff about Alfa Romeos. Many of them, like yourself, have driven and owned Alfas in past and have fond memories of them. So for all of them to be negative, one after another, is because they were let down.

Most likely, these quality "issues" they encounter and write about remind them of the issues they had with their own Alfas in past but had long forgotten, and now are unhappy because even those fond memories are tarnished as well.

And therein lies the real tragedy of lifting a legendary name and relaunching it without doing due diligence. But FCA is not doing it just to Alfa. Here in N.A. it did the same to the Dodge Dart name, and to the Jeep Renegade name, etc., etc.

The pattern is: FCA squanders the equity of the names it inherited at a steady pace. I'm convinced it's nothing personal. FCA doesn't do it NAFTA any more than to EU products; they do it equally to all.

#560 aldo90731, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    GasAxe and JavelinAMX like this.