Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulia Test Drives

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by AlfaCuda, May 10, 2016.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Had my Journey in at my servicing dealer for its annual safety inspection (it passed - yay!). While waiting, a brand new Giulia was brought into the service department and the owner was not happy. She had just bought it and had not driven 10 miles before there was an electronic problem of some sort. She had gotten 3 miles down the road when the CEL or something indicated a problem. Not good for a $60,000+ vehicle to have problems in less than 10 miles.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

It's sick.

Only speaking personally, but I'd much rather have a Journey I can rely on.

I'm guessing, but her new Alfa just might end up being 'Driveway Candy'.

Each to her or his own, but this just isn't a good thing.

Doug D and aldo90731 like this.
  3. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

@aldo90731

No doubt since fca is inherently indifferent or incapable of ensuring purported media-reported 'quality' whether in europe or in the usa you could explain why (a) except for 2 - 3 usa media reports of software glitched testdrives the VAST majority of test drive reports in the usa or in europe and no doubt in japan and china too (?) are simply glowing, as they should be since the car's a clear segment best in most respects, including (who knows yet!;-)) er 'quality durability reliability' with few complaints if any

and (b) why there is little whingeing about new-Alfa Giulia-Stelvio-on-all-new-platform-from-allnew-plant-with-all-new-powertrains quality in europe, either from the automotive press or on fora etc.

The usa media meted out similar treatment to the Maserati Ghibli and Quattroporte too, and yet the brand managed to pull off its graduate-beyond-the-artisanal-exotic niches situation, especially with the Levante and the lots of good new dealers around the world (not just usa.)

JEEP had little or, if any: negative, 'quality' or 'reliability trust' quotient in either Brazil or say india, and yet: they've pulled off fine brand and model and dealership launches there, with afai can make out rather satisfied new customers of fca-era Jeeps.

FCA has also, btw: re-birthed and transformed the Dodge brand, and is well on its way to 'premiumize within mass' the FIAT brand in both europe and esp latam.

Point is: they may not be perfect or capable/willing/able-to-afford that, but they're actually pretty good at this brand rebuild and relaunch and leverage successfully etc IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME stuff: around the world. Including dealers+service processes via the new MOPAR. They've done it again and again, well enough imo (relative to other firms' comparable efforts): maserati, Jeep globally, even ram, now Alfa+Dodge, and FIAT latam....

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I ask myself what is done in many dealerships with pre delivery inspection.
    Do they really check or just make a mark on a piece of paper without even looking at the cars?

Was the last week that in another thread that a Ram 1500 just delivered to customer had no liquid in radiator, a Jeep Compass that I don't remember what other problem had.
    And I remember perfectly an Alfa Romeo 4C delivered with transport blocks, used to lift it. That is so dangerous that You can kill You if going fast in some corners.

Jeep delivered with too high tyre pressure, the one for transport.
    Jeep delivered to customer without activating the "customer" software, but delivered with "transport" software on (in which half of things doesn't work).

Than there is the ones that gave press release cars in U.S.A. that don't check for updates, give the car a week later to another journalist with same exact problems of a week earlier.

Does this persons think that inspections are only a piece of paper to check and sign?

It seems like they are selling beans cans and they work in a supermarket.

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In the last weeks there was a media track day in Mexico for Alfa Romeo.
    Main focus on the Giulia (Stelvio is no actually on sale in Mexico).

In this second video they talk also about new strategy for dealerships on Mexico for Jeep and Alfa Romeo that will put together and positioned towards "premium" segment.
    New boutiques for Jeep/Alfa Romeo, premium services for customers, ...

Prabhjot likes this.
  6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I am baffled, too.

The whole point of making Fiat separate dealerships, and then keeping them starving until Alfa Romeo showed up was precisely to start with a clean slate.

But just the same I saw the customer treatment at my CDJR dealer of 10 years deteriorate beyond recognition in the last 18 months I lived in Los Angeles. Service that used to be very personal became very transactional.

So, to me, this lack of dealership follow-through comes from FCA.

Mergionne has never really shown much care for customers. When he first took over Chrysler he eliminated the customer feedback surveys. Dealers operated without any customer service measurement for years. He figured customer treatment would take care of itself. It never did. Neither has he ever addressed product quality. He figured it would also take care of its. But it hasn't either.

I understand FCA finally introduced a dealership service measurement system a couple years ago. But in typical Mergionne style it's all a series of finacial carrots and sticks aimed at boosting his bottom line. So instead of focusing on the customer, dealers now are fixated on the financials, delivering crummy service in the process.

#567 aldo90731, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I had a new 'Yota Matrix years back. It was a disappointment. It kept falling apart - not the engine or the structure, but wheel well liners, front facia pieces, other underbody covers ( lack of right term, sorry ), minor interior pieces*. { The wee anemic engine got worse once we moved into the Desert. It barely moved the car }.

But the dealer experience was good.

They kept replacing the parts and bending sheet-metal back into place and were as friendly as could be expected.

It was merely my commuter car; it was no great shakes. Not even close to being top of the line. But while it was pretty clear they wondered how things happened as they did, I wasn't confronted. Most people would wonder what was going on that these parts came off and/or needed replacement so routinely.

I gotta say, they were interested in satisfying their customer - even one who owned their no frills model.

===
    * - The parts would wiggle free in a very, very short period of time and literally fall off the car while I'd be on the SoCal freeway. I couldn't back up and pick up the mangled body part and take it with me to the dealership for repair/replacement - it was just gone.

somber and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Both Toyota and Honda dealers tend to focus on the individual customer, not the transaction. They do it in great part because HQ treats them that way, too.

Toyota and Honda treat everyone with the exact same respect: employees, dealers, suppliers and customers. The culture is if you do the right thing, everything else will fall into place.

Nissan on the other hand, is all about the numbers, just like FCA. And that fixation on the numbers gives them pretext to treat everyone in the same disrespecful, abusive manner: employees, dealers, suppliers and customers. The mindset is if the boss treats everyone like crap, then I am expected to treat everyone like crap.

The Koreans are very similar to Nissan in that regard.

#569 aldo90731, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    somber likes this.
  10. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In fairness, a sexy, fun, and totally unreliable Alfa Romeo is perfectly consistent with its American heritage.

Yes, I agree there.

The one thing I do need to add is that many of the FCA dealers are cheaters and frauds, and it's hard to guard against that without being a jerk.

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

13. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Finally drove a QF this morning. What a car! Amazing. So nice to drive with so much feedback.

It was a brief drive in the city so despite being Sunday it was a series of short bursts with the occasional fast corner. Added to the misery of small confines there was light rain and the roads were damp. So I avoided Race mode except on one straight. Exhaust sounded violent.

Ride is very compliant and un-Getman-like. Handling superb. I think for me the steering is too light. Plastic on door bins feel very cheap. Yet the rest of the interior is great. Very Italian.
    All in all I felt at home in the car I'm guessing as it feels so Alfa-like and I'm used to that feel.

Driving back home in my Giulietta felt as if hand brake was on continuously. :D

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Oh, You are one of the three ;)

BASONE88 and Morty like this.
  15. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

16. BASONE88

Supporter

Fair assessment.

Alfa's vision is right. Extremely exciting. Ground breaking(in certain ways). There are some concerns, if not addressed, prospective owners will not overlook.

But if Alfa Romeo is focused on improving what they have produced (and permitted to), they could become the one by which all others are judged! At this point, they look to be well on their way!

AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

18. romalerig

pumadog, Morty and MJAB like this.
  19. romalerig

Alfa Romeo Giulia QF long-term test: if Ferrari did four doors (at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-2017-long-term-test-review/ )

Adventure drive to the Alps in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/adam-binnie/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-adventure-drive-to-the-alps/ )

Attached Files: