Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulietta back on the board: FCA ponders FWD or RWD?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Archknight, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Archknight

Archknight Active Member

Alfa Romeo eyes new Giulietta as key "brand pillar" - LeftLaneNews (at http://www.leftlanenews.com/alfa-romeo-eyes-new-giulietta-as-key-brand-pillar-99418.html )

I've seen this article a few times over the last couple days on a few sites. I'm curious, why FCA is dragging their feet so much? MB and AUDI seem to believe this segment is profitable, which is why they have new or revised entries coming. This model is popular in Europe and would do well as a standout for a model in the US if it just has 3 key elements--sexy, sporty, and performance.

They have the CUSW platform to leapfrog development, AWD, 2.0T (tuned for different applications), 9AT, etc. So what am I missing that could make a relatively inexpensive model a money maker?? 2020 is a long way off and there are plenty who will move on before then if they are left with nothing to consider from this company.

2. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

If they go CUSW for Giulietta, I think they are crazy. RWD/AWD is the right way to go for Alfa. Anything else is missing the branding.

suzq044, AlfaCuda, danbek and 3 others like this.
  3. T_690

T_690 Active Member

FWD was always choice for compact Alfas. They never considered FWD for Giulietta. But they could just retire Giulietta and replace it will RWD crossover with similar design as Mercedes GLA. Just slightly raised hatch.

AlfaCuda and DarkSky like this.
  4. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Slightly raised is key. The GLA-class looks like a hatchback to me because it's not nearly tall enough for me to see anything resembling "crossover" but I guess some people do. Something in between hatch and crossover height would be the best of both worlds, especially for a sporty brand like Alfa.

5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

It seems like Alfa Romeo could leave the fwd market to Fiat and successfully focus on rwd/awd. To embrace the future, sometimes you need to let go of parts of your past.

TripleT, suzq044, AlfaCuda and 2 others like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Or maybe new upcoming BMW X2. Something like that. And that models are not cheap.

IMO they have two possible paths. One is to decontent Giorgio and to make this GLA or X2 fighter. Question is how will they decontent Giorgio. But I may be wrong. Maybe it will be cheaper in calendar 2020. I don't know.

The other path is to go with FWD platform. From what I heard that choice would be Small Wide platform. Of-course heavily revised.
    In that case IMO we would see sedan/hatchback and SUV/CUV in compact segment for Alfa.
    Just to make comparison. New BMW X1 and Jeep Compass are similar in size. One has base price of around 30 thousand euros and the other one at around 25 thousand. Just imagine how big margin could be for such Alfa with good sales. And in the future such development would materialize in ne Jeeps, maybe Fiats... IMO, they already have huge margins on Compass. It's nothing more than long wheelbase Renegade with different styling.

Highly unlikely. When you go big, and maybe I could say that compact is in Europe what mid-size is for Americans, and expensive you can't sell Fiat in Europe. 500X could be an example. Maybe that's a top level for Fiat currently. They can go more expansive in Europe but in that case it must be something similar as Ford Edge in size.

AlfaCuda, Deckard_Cain and Archknight like this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Dodge could also use the improvements made to SUSW to make a smaller, cheaper SUV than the upcoming Journey replacement/Hornet.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  8. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

A compact rwd/awd architecture (derived from Giorgio or otherwise) would be useful on several fronts across the FCA portfolio:
    • New Giulietta/compact crossover
    • Eventual Fiat 124 replacement
    • Compact Dodge crossover
    • Possible sub-Wrangler unibody hardtop SUV (replacing renegade?)
    To me (admittedly an American who has never driven an AR) rwd is written into the dna of the brand along with funloving, performance, and hot-blooded. I’m sure this doesn’t quite mesh with European or specifically Italian visions for the brand. Then again, Jeep has modified its offerings to appeal to a global market—Alfa will be expected to do the same.

bluskye and Deckard_Cain like this.
  9. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

That's exactly the DNA of Alfa. You nailed it completely. Alfa started producing FWD cars when they were acquired by Fiat. While they still had some good products (ex. Alfa 147, and 156) they declined in quality when they were acquired by Fiat, and they stopped following their DNA.
    Until the seventies, Alfa was the rival of Mercedes in Europe. BMW made knock-off Alfas.

10. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Alfasud never happened?

Dan Minick and KrisW like this.
  11. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

Bmw 1 series had good european sales. If FCA went Rwd it would be a good competitor to the Bmw. And great entry into an Alfa. It would have the dynamics Alfa is known for. And would likely be a good model for possible conquest sales if FCA can keep quality and perception up.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and freshforged like this.
  12. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

are we really having this conversation after Maserati numbers are so bad they aren't reporting them and alfa sales have been lackluster thus far?

13. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

You could start yet another thread about FCA killing the 200 and Dart if this one doesn't appeal to you. :rolleyes:

UN4GTBL, wilbur, Deckard_Cain and 6 others like this.
  14. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

All the more reason for new dodge models aswell

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Maserati reports are separate from the others brands, it was like that for NAFTA.
    Just check any FCA US sales report.

Maserati brand is not under FCA US structure, they were in U.S.A. before 2009.

The same was for Ferrari North America when it was under FCA.

#15 MJAB, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Deckard_Cain likes this.
  16. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

I just lose hope for the company when I hear insanity like spending money on Giulietta. *Edit - I found Maserati US sales - Maserati US car sales figures (at http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/maserati/ )

It's not getting much traction in the US but it seems to be doing well in Europe - Maserati European sales figures (at http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/Maserati/ )

So again, we have a merged multinational entity where the cross border models aren't very complimentary (from a profit standpoint) and the cost savings between 'plarchitechtures'
    has yet to come to fruition - where have I heard this before?

#16 cygnus, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Erik Latranyi likes this.
  17. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

The future Giulietta could be a good thing for Dodge. Giulia architecture to be used for future Charger and Challenger. Stelvio architecture to be used for future Journey replacement. New Giulietta architecture could be used for future Dodge?

tlc and freshforged like this.
  18. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Four years is far away and frankly I think they're going to lose the plot on the next gen L cars by downsizing them to offset the truck CAFE numbers.

19. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I guess that is the difference between us, glass half empty vs. half full. ;)

tlc likes this.
  20. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

When was it ever mentioned that they were downsizing them? Everything i have read from insiders says it will be the same size it is currently and then a smaller car will slot in below them at another time

TripleT, tlc, Deckard_Cain and 3 others like this.