Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulietta facelift coming to the US in 2018?

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Deckard_Cain, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Alfa Moves To Trademark Giulietta Name In The United States

[​IMG]

A mule seen testing of the 2018 facelift.

2. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

So, after spending billions on a RWD platform for Alfa, forcing other brands to wait, and billions more on advertising Alfa as Italian performance.......they are bringing the FWD Giulietta to the US?

WTF?

3. T_690

T_690 Active Member

:p

4. Deckard_Cain

They spent billions on a platform for the whole group. You could move on from this zero-sum line of thought, in which investment in getting a product to market from one brand first means that other brands won't see any benefits.
    Also, it appears that to you it is damned if they do, damned if they don't. They postponed investment in new Alfa vehicles and you are having plenty of new vehicles coming out with a focus on the US market. If they had kept pushing Alfa vehicles you would be here complaining and moaning about them just launching "italian" vehicles.
    So tell me, what's your point? Is it to complain about everything? We get it, you would love to see Fiat and Chrysler breaking up. You would lvoe to see Mopar brands going at it alone. That really worked out great for them previously.

bluskye, ehaase, tlc and 2 others like this.
  5. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

Isn't that the same old magazine fake mule again?

romalerig and T_690 like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Of-course it is. ;)

7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

You do not understand.

The complaint is about what they are doing to the Alfa brand in the US if they bring the Giulietta here.

They spent billions to re-launch Alfa in the US as RWD Italian performance. The Giulia is an impressive performance vehicle (when it works) and with the Stelvio, are creating a new image for Alfa in the US (that is a compliment)........but now they are going to bring an old FWD platform (not very updated platform) to the US?

Talk about blowing your brand image!

@T_690 tried to be snarky instead of logical, pointing to BMW. Well, if he paid attention here, BMW is hurting itself in the US with vehicles, like the FWD 1 series. Perhaps, FCA could LEARN from BMWs mistake rather than copying their mistake......like they copied the Hyundai Sonata, creating the poor rear ingress/egress in the Chrysler 200.

What you are blinded to is the damage that the Giulietta will do to the Alfa brand in the US. It will puncture the image created with precious resources.

Had they created a new Giulietta on Giorgio, with RWD/AWD and brought that here, I would be delighted. Instead, this is another short-sighted move that is damaging to the Alfa brand image here. No FWD Alfa should come to the US. Leave those in the EU.

Lastly, they spend group money on a platform that, so far, has not benefitted the whole group. So, until it happens, it is an empty promise. By the time it happens (2021) that group platform will be considered "old".

8. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I supported and was happy to see Fiat and Chrysler get together. Since then, I have watched in horror as they waste money, screw up products, increase defects, destroy brands and run around with their hair on fire. This all comes from the leadership, not the good people doing the work inside the company.

If you think I oppose launching "Italian" vehicles, you prove that you do not understand me. I am dual citizen, US and EU. So, please give up trying to claim it is America vs Italians, because that is a coward's argument. Let's talk about the decisions made by FCA leadership that has led to low quality, poor customer service, defective vehicle launches (after delays) and brand positioning that changes with the seasons.

#8 Erik Latranyi, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
  9. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

That's simply impossible, due to a moltitude of reasons. You'll never see such a car in USA anytime soon, at least in the current form. So, move on, nothing to see here and do not trust everything you read on the net. Giulietta is just a name, that's it.

#9 romalerig, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
    jorisr likes this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Yes, the car in the photo above is always the same of the OmniAuto.it "blind test".
    It was a test about perception of cars with a car logo on the vehicle.

11. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It's so nice, it must be an Audi.

romalerig likes this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Some notes about Giulietta can be found in this interview of Roberto Fedeli to a swiss publication.
    "DES TRANSFERTS DE TECHNOLOGIE ENTRE LA F1 ET LES ALFA DE ROUTE" (at https://www.revueautomobile.ch/2017/12/20/transferts-de-technologie-entre-f1-alfa-de-route/ )

The platform on which next "Giulietta" will be build on will be said in the new businees plan that will be presented in 2018.

The main interesting part is about how the business is being developed now => short time to market.

Just some sentences from the article quotations, cannot be reported integral, so one needs to read the article.

"... Nous, au sein du département technique, devons dans tous les cas continuer le développement des technologies. Celles-ci sont, tournées vers l’avenir, doivent améliorer les performances, la télématique et les aides électroniques, afin de transmettre aux clients davantage de sensations. ..."

"... Nous préparons toute une série d’éléments afin que nous puissions être sur le marché dans le moins de temps possible, le jour où un modèle reçoit le feu vert définitif. Dans tous les cas, les segments que nous occupons actuellement ne doivent pas être abandonnés. ..."

"...
    Même la Giulietta ne pourra pas être abandonnée ; le plan révélera le type d’architecture qu’elle emploiera. Nous devrons aussi marquer notre présence dans les segments supérieurs, comme dans le segment E, avec un modèle plus grand et plus performant. Nous travaillons sur tous ces scénarios. Heureusement, la plateforme Giorgio nous offre de la flexibilité, vers le haut et vers le bas. Une Giulietta avec roues arrière motrices est l’une des options.
    ..."

And here arrives the most important part, at least for me:
    "... Notamment, avec l’expérience Giulia et Stelvio, nous avons appris que nous devons devenir les meilleurs du monde sur certains points, notamment sur les simulations. Grâce à elles, nous pouvons réduire le temps d’arrivée sur le marché et être plus rapides. Nous travaillons de façon très différente des allemands, qui programment pour les 10 prochaines années. Nous, dès le moment où nous décidons de faire un modèle, nous devons arrivons sur le marché en une année. C’est notre modèle d’affaire, qu’il soit juste ou faux. Chacun choisit sa façon d’être compétitif. ..."

Taanslation: In particular, from the Giulia and Stelvio experience, we have learned that we have to become the best in the world on some points, especially on simulations. Thanks to them, we can reduce the time of arrival on the market and be faster. We work very differently from the Germans, who make programs for the next 10 years. We, from the moment we decide to make a model, we must come to market in one year. It's our business model, whether it's right or wrong. Everyone chooses their way of being competitive.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and romalerig like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

And simulations enhancement is not limited to Alfa Romeo, but to all FCA.

For example
    "The first simulator of vehicular dynamics of the Southern Hemisphere
    Thursday, 16 de November de 2017

Created by the FCA in association with PUC Minas, the SIMCenter is cutting-edge technology in the world and puts Latin America in the spotlight"
    The first simulator of vehicular dynamics of the Southern Hemisphere - FCA Latam - EN (at http://mundofca.com/en/mundo-fca/innovation/first-simulator-vehicular-dynamics-southern-hemisphere/ )

[​IMG]

romalerig likes this.
  14. Deckard_Cain

Ok, I did not understand your point, and you also came to the discussion in the middle. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
    This topic was done because we were talking about the Giulietta in another topic.
    There's been a few leaked slides saying that in 2018 the Giulietta will get another restyle besides the one they got at the same time the Giulia was launched. More people agree with you that it would be preferable to have a RWD Giulietta, and me and T_690 said that a new Giulietta doesn't have to be a RWD compact car, because none of their competitors does that anyway.

A deep restyling of the Giulietta could pass as a new model, just as VW did between the Golf 5 and 6, or Opel did with the last two Corsas. However, it would require a deep restyle, new engines, deeply revised interior, etc. Such a car could be introduced in the US...

15. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :D

16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Myth: The US does not like hatchbacks, and the Giulletta is a hatch. (I realize that this argument has not been made in this thread, but I hear the argument all the time.)

Wrong: because the US is absolutely loaded with successful hatches. Too many to name. The US is just intolerant of hatchbacks that don’t meet American’s needs. In other words, you have to adapt, or design specifically for this market, FWD, AWD, or RWD doesn’t matter. Designing to. American tastes matters. You can’t just “bring it over here”.

So, could the Giulletta make it over here? And enhance the Alfa brand image at the same time?

Most definitely!

Not as is, though.

But, That it not what is said in the original post. The original post said that there are no plans to bring the Giulletta here, but that they “could” bring an all new Giulletta here (assuming of course, like I said above, it takes American desires into account).

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Is there any successful hatchback in the USA which is not a liftback? For example. New Buick Regal is a liftback, it's not a hatchback.

To make it clear. I'm all for FWD based Alfa Romeo Giulietta which should be a liftback. With that both Europeans and Americans could like it.

We mustn't leave China from any discussion about Alfa Romeo products. They just hate classic European hatchbacks. It must look like a sedan.

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

To me a hatch is hatch.

What is a liftback? Vs. What is a hatchback.

Personally, I don’t thing American buyers make the distinction.

19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Audi is offering A3 sedan, Mercedes is offering CLA. BMW is working on 2er GC. Mercedes is working on A-class sedan.

What they have in common? Although some have 5th doors all look like a sedan. They don't offer a hatchbacks or what look like a hatchback in the USA although they have it in the Europe.

20. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Aaaaahhh?

So a liftback would be something like a an old Fox based Mustang (1979-2004). Where it looks like a sedan (or Coupe) but has a "lift-back"?

To the vast majority of folks with whom I interact, A hatchback is something akin to a Golf, a Mini, Kia Soul, or a Focus. Two or four door, three-box, sedan or coupe, with a door on the back that lifts upward, that gives access to the entire rear of the vehicle. A "Lift-back" would not be considered a vehicle type here. The car would be thrown into the sedan or coupe standard, and "lift-back" would merely be one of its features (i.e. "See the wonderful Audi sedan with "New Liftback" feature!).