Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giulietta facelift coming to the US in 2018?

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Deckard_Cain, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

You say "Impossible" like this executive leadership has never made a mistake like that.

I stand by my position that if they bring a FWD Giulietta to the US, then they are shooting themselves in the foot and throwing out millions of dollars spent on creating a brand image for Alfa here.

If you don't like that, fine.

#21 Erik Latranyi, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
    AlfaCuda likes this.
  2. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

There should not be two discussions about the same topic. That is what creates confusion like this. I came to this thread as it was brand new with a linked news article.

3. T_690

T_690 Active Member

New Buick Regal, Audi A7, A5 Sportback, some BMW's like 4 Gran Coupe. All look like a sedan yet they have a 5th doors.

In our "Vehicle Book" where owner has a all official vehicle data there is a also number of doors. It can be 2, 3, 4 or 5. Wagons, CUV, SUV, hatchbacks or liftbacks have 3 or 5 doors. But difference between hathback like Golf or liftback (some will call it a sedan, some will call it a hathback) like new Buick Regal Sportback.

Yes, it's complicated.

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarity,

Bringin' it back...

I disagree and agree about Giulletta in the US. yes, Alfa needs more models. I agree with @Erik Latranyi that Giulletta (as is) would be a mistake (IMO: overall it would not be as complete a FUBAR as he believes it would be). I think that Giuletta DOES need to be here, however I think that it needs a redesign, and rethink, before that happens, regardless of whether it is a hatch or liftback, or whatever.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

No, this current Giulietta is not planned for the USA.

AFAIK they never planned it on a Compact platform as a global model. This is Europe specific model.
    That planned new global Giulietta is AFAIK on Small Wide (heavily revised one) or Giorgio. CUSW/Compact was not considered.

#25 T_690, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
    romalerig likes this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Excuse me if I have been heavy-handed in moderating this thread.

7. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Is it forbidden by forum rules to publicly point to troll if ih meets definition of Internet troll? And it's not like that just we Europeans have huge problems with some people and their constant provocations and inconsistency.

Deckard_Cain and romalerig like this.
  8. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Every car has its direct competitors. So that competitors and cross-shoppers will have a future Giulietta. So it must be lightweight, fuel-efficient and roomy compared to certain German trio. But above all it must retain sporty feeling.If they can do that with FWD. Than why not?

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  9. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Alfa’s are not about handling, or performance. They are not about rear wheel drive, or front wheel drive, V8’s, V6’s, or inline fours. Alfa’s are not about the rise and fall of the exhaust note, as you work up through the gears and back down again. They arent about the sensuous curve of a fender, or the way they look from your table, while you sit at an al fresco café with your Alfa parked on the street just after the sun comes out after a spring shower (that is a story for another thread, though).

Alfa’s are not about any of that.

An Alfa Romeo, any Alfa Romeo, all Alfa Romeos, are about the feeling you get when you are driving it.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Alfa lost its way. Alfa died in America, and suffered greatly everywhere else. Now, with Giulia they have found their way again. For us Alfisti... it makes us cry tears of joy. (Stelvio counts too... but... SUV... so...)

If the Giulletta can do that, if Giulletta can bring the true essence of Alfa the the US, then I say bring it. Front wheel drive or no.

If it can’t, then it needs to stay home until it can.

#29 Muther, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    danbek, tlc, AlfaCuda and 4 others like this.
  10. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

With the current Giulietta they can't imo (and I own one and drive it daily). While it is a very good and capable car, it is by no means a great Alfa Romeo. Therefore I say wait until the new model is launched.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Front-wheel drive didn't stop the Alfasud being one of the best drivers' cars of the 1970s... On a short car, front drive isn't all negative

Giulietta was aimed at the VW Golf, and that shows in the choice of driving parameters; its predecessor, 147, was much more focused on driving response, but at the expense of comfort and refinement.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  12. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

The Sud remains an engineering marvel for me. The low CoG achieved with the boxer engine, double fire wall, passive rear steer and upside down dampers all contribute to the amazing handling. It’s magic. (I own a Sprint)

I don’t think that kind of pironeering feat can be replicated today with platform and parts sharing.

I’m not sure simply matching the Golf’s capability is enough to set the brand apart. And it’s not in the DNA of Alfa to simply follow. That’s why I say that the Giulietta while being a very good car isn’t really a great Alfa Romeo. The 147 was to a greater extent imo. At least a big step up from the 145/6.
    Also BMW is a much stronger brand today compared with AR. It can get away by going FWD with the 1 series.
    Alfa on the other hand will have to be class defining to earn its stripes. The Giulia and Stelvio have set the standard. It would be risky to go “me too” at this stage imo.

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

quadamage76 and AlfaCuda like this.
  14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

AlfaCuda likes this.
  15. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Yes it was perhaps the most exotic and best handling car in its class in the world at that time.

This is my GTV
    IMG_3053.JPG

BASONE88, Morty, Deckard_Cain and 3 others like this.