AF: Gladiator Mojave "Desert Rated" | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator Mojave "Desert Rated"

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by HotCarNut, Feb 6, 2020.

1. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

What I like most that you can speed up to 50 mph in 4Low, and you can lock the rear differential in 4-High.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut and wilbur like this.
  2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Comparing our Jeeps to the raptor is not considering the power difference. We need more gas engine power to be competitive. The Raptor will run away and hide from our Jeeps.

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Ford Raptor is a full-size, extra-wide, 6,000-lb behemoth; Gladiator Mojave isn’t. Jeep can compete with a V6 and a diesel in ways Raptor can’t.

Gladiator Mojave’s more direct competition are Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2, both of which lately have been positioning themselves as desert runners —as will likely be upcoming Ranger Raptor.

The fact that Gladiator now has the Trail Rated and Desert Rated areas covered separately gives Jeep a wider market coverage few can achieve. Jeep’s well-established off-road credibility makes it possible.

The underlying challenge will be that Gladiator Mojave’s final pricing is likely to pitch it against the big Raptor. Funny how pricing always ends up being the sticking factor.

UN4GTBL, suzq044, HotCarNut and 4 others like this.
  4. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm expecting it to start around $45,000, just slightly higher than the Rubicon.

Of course, you'll be at $50,000+ when you add a hard top, an automatic, and the 8.4" screen.

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Mojave should have been JT’s launch edition.

Had Jeep launched with Mojave, desirability would have gone through the roof off the bat, avoiding these “value proposition” questions that are now creeping up.

Better late than never I suppose. But I doubt Mojave will get anything close to the marketing budget JT got.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. Ryan

Since it was certainly ready in time for the Super Bowl, seems like it would have been a better idea to introduce the Mojave there to give it a proper grand entrance than to introduce it just a few days later.

HotCarNut, Dave Z and aldo90731 like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The other challenge will actually be its performance and durability under desert conditions, we can hope that Jeep and FCA are up to the challenge - and they should be, based on past performance - but we've seen the occasional screwup too.

tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Dr. Jeep

Dr. Jeep Well-Known Member

This is clearly targeted at Tacoma TRD Pro and probably also the coming new Ranger Raptor. They did a great job.

It would be nice to see the rear-axle-only locker + standard 2.72 tcase combination extended to other trim levels.

9. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

If this had been available when I purchased my JT I'm not sure I would have picked it over my Rubicon. Love the stronger knuckles, frame reinforcements and the reservoir shocks. Now I just wish I could have had all that and still gotten the front locker and the 84.2:1 crawl ratio of the Rubicon.

10. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Forget the Super Bowl, they should have unveiled it during King of the Hammers! (I guess technically they did, just not at the event.)

11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Need to offer the Selec-Trac too. Love the option of AWD on my 01 XJ.

12. Ryan

dmcdonald, UN4GTBL, HotCarNut and 7 others like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, this is a meaningful expansion of the brand. Significant hardware changes for the task at hand and not just repackaged options.

HotCarNut, danbek, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed.

But is FCA aware of how big a deal this is?

I don’t know for sure. But the fact that it was revealed at Chicago, after the Super Bowl, months after JT’s grand launch, suggests that they don’t.

15. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Something that just occurred to me after reading the High Altitude thread: People looking for luxury also tend to want a more compliant ride, something the Mojave would presumably provide compared to other JL trims. I wonder if maybe they should have based the High Altitude on the Mojave suspension? Or I suppose later they could take the luxury interior & wheels from the High Altitude, and put them on the Mojave itself to reach that audience.

Either way, I think it would be favorably rated by certain drivers. One thing that the reviews always say about the Raptor is how comfortably it rides in everyday driving, and that's all thanks to its desert-oriented suspension. (The Mojave wouldn't be that floaty, but it would be more so than the other JL's.)

page2171 likes this.
  16. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

That's why I'd get it too, sorta-maintained gravel roads are the norm around here, and our driveway is slowly turning into a water feature thanks to the rain we get through the year. The more desert-soft suspension would put it ahead for me. It'd definitely be my go-to if I had that sort of income. Rubicon is fine, but my style is more Mojave, definitely.

Mr. Fusion, brewdad, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

To be fair, I don’t think anyone at the time knew what a big deal the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited or the Rubicon was going to be either.

UN4GTBL, Zagnut27, tlc and 3 others like this.
  18. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Hmmm.... Would it be sacrilegious to shoehorn a Hemi into this thing???

HEMI345 likes this.
  19. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

Not at all. Several aftermarket companies do it.

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  20. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

they should add the HEMI as an option.

Bajanbuoy likes this.