AF: Gladiator Mojave "Desert Rated" | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator Mojave "Desert Rated"

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by HotCarNut, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Agreed... That would really kick the Raptor's teeth in.

2. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Will never happen, which is why the diesel exists.

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes, the V8 is dead. Again.

4. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Which is why I grabbed one when I could. :)

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Saw it and sat in it at the Chicago Auto Show this weekend. Really like the package, and was a hit with me.....until I sat in the Rebel diesel and realized that I'd get the same off-road capability (roughly) with a LOT more room and a nicer interior for LESS than the Mojave. Really hit me when you could cross-compare within about 100' of each other.

page2171, valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

The lack of a V8 is the only real criticism I have of the JL/JT platform. I think most are satisfied with the Pentastar, esp when paired with the 8 spd, unless you've had a Hemi in Jeep or Ram truck before, then you miss the fact that even an older Hemi, has 100 more ft lbs of torque. You feel this very distinctly as off the line urge, that the Pentastar has to wind up to produce, not so the Hemi. And when people start adding bigger tires suspension lifts, heavy off road bumpers, they will wind up wanting more power. Remember one of the things people loved about later Land Cruisers was the availability of V8 power.
    In fact I'd wager a bet that a Hemi option would outsell a diesel option in the US as long as gas prices stay where they are.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Diesel should have as much off the line oomph as a V8. If you really really want off the line, a true hybrid would do it, too. I find the V6 in L-cars has plenty of off-the-line torque due to the gearing; I wonder if the Wrangler is that much heavier or just geared differently.

8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Wranglers and L-cars weigh roughly the same: 4,200 to 4,400 lbs.

Wranglers, however, have much larger diameter tires, which require more torque to turn.

link3721 likes this.
  9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I also asked this in the Ford topic under Automotive News: What do people think the Bronco will do to Wrangler sales? Looks like Ford is hoping for 200k sales in 2021.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Interesting to think about. When I'm in rural Ohio or West Virginia on my travels, I see many driveways full of Ford products, but with a Wrangler among the Fords. Those Ford households would probably jump on a competent Bronco.
    I think Wrangler will do fine, but I think the success (if there is any) of the Bronco will help push Wrangler prices lower.

#51 valiant67, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    wvutuba, hmk123 and aldo90731 like this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Sounds achievable, especially given that Bronco will include a 4-door version.

But chances are a lot of those sales (~35%-50%) will come from existing Ford owners —i.e., cannibalization. The rest will come from discontent Jeep owners (of which there are many), and conquests from miscellaneous other brands —incl. luxury.

Still, Bronco is likely to make it harder for Jeep to achieve its over-ambitious JL production and sales targets, and put pressure on those precious margins.

#52 aldo90731, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020 at 12:41 PM
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

A couple of former posters here had described the upcoming Bronco as a “show pony”. Even if that ends up being true, it may be irrelevant. If people are looking for the rugged look, the ability to remove doors and roof, and probably the customization ability, then Bronco will most likely fit the bill. How many Wrangler buyers use enough of the capability where a Bronco wouldn’t work for them? Probably not enough to worry about, which puts a sizable chunk at risk for conquest sales. It would be unwise to assume otherwise.

wvutuba, link3721, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  13. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Bob Sheaves always said Ford was the one company capable of truly putting out a Wrangler competitor. If they do, great. Competition isn't a bad thing. There's more than enough to go around.

Zagnut27, FreeLantz, link3721 and 4 others like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

That’s what I’ve always said too. Competition between the brands has spurred research and development for cars like Charger, Challenger, Mustang, & Camaro. Just look at all the performance options available there just in those cars alone. If a Bronco that is truly off-road capable, or any other vehicle that may yet come along, it could be a very good thing for off-road enthusiasts of all kinds. The more, the merrier.

page2171 likes this.
  15. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Active Member

The new Bronco is certainly going to cut into FCA's bottom line, even if it's only half as capable. Those people that want the looks and the fun factor of a Wrangler but want a vehicle that drives like a Raptor will buy one. I agree that competition is good the the consumer. As long as it doesn't mean the eventual extinction of the Wrangler I will be happy.

16. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

There will probably be a desert rated Bronco.

17. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of people that won't ever touch a Ford product, so I wouldn't worry about Wrangler becoming extinct. Personally, I can't stand GM or Ford vehicles. I've never liked any of them that I've ever driven. I know I'm not the only one.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And conversely there are many people who won't touch a Jeep (or FCA) product.

Ryan and page2171 like this.
  19. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Active Member

Oh I don't think for a minute that the Wrangler is in trouble. I also don't want to derail the thread any more so I'll leave it at that.

page2171 likes this.