AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 14 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

I didn't dig enough to see if it was the Max Towing package. Since a lot of the ones that had towing feature were Sports, it could be that it is the Max Towing package added on. Obviously, adding cheaper packages and increasing the price is just dealer padding.

But...
    Trailer Tow Package
    $250
    • 240-Amp Alternator <--- after market are $100
    • Class IV Receiver Hitch <-- after market are about $150
    • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling <--- I have no idea, but the after market fans without towing are just under $100
    • Trailer Hitch Zoom <--- probably just a feature to turn on
    Max Tow Package with 4.10 Axle Ratio
    $995
    • 240-Amp Alternator
    • 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires
    • 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
    • Class IV Receiver Hitch
    • Heavy Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
    • Heavy Duty Dana 44 Wide Rear Axle
    • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
    • Molded-In-Color Fender Flares

2. WXman

WXman Active Member

Apparently the Gladiator with NO towing package of any type selected in the options gets a Class II hitch and wiring.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it can't cost much more to make a Class IV hitch vs. a Class II hitch...particularly if both are using a 2" receiver tube. So it's become obvious that Jeep has done this solely to have a reason to bring in extra profits on packages.

I would really love to know what's included in the "heavy duty engine cooling" aside from the upgraded 800 watt fan, if anything.

AlexB likes this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

On a Durango, HD cooling on the Pentastar provides a larger radiator and HD radiator fan.

4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

The Class II is 1 1/4" receiver and 3500 lb rating while the Class IV is 2" receiver and 10000 lb rating. Not an insignificant cost or manufacturing difference.

5. WXman

WXman Active Member

Actually, the Class II hitches used on Jeeps are 2" receiver tube. Take a look at a JL with the factory hitch.

To confirm what's going on here with the Gladiator, I visited my local dealer this morning who just happens to have a Gladiator on the lot with NO towing package of any kind selected. That truck has the same 4-pin and 7-pin wiring, but, it does NOT have a receiver tube. Instead, the hitch is integrated into the bumper and what you have to do is drill out the bumper cover and mount your trailer ball directly to the plate. Reminds me of the 1980s all over again.

So, if you're ordering one of these trucks, I strongly recommend checking off the box for at minimum the standard towing package. Those receiver hitch tubes are good for more than just trailers. There are lot of accessories and attachments on the market.

wilbur, valiant67 and link3721 like this.
  6. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar to what I got on my 2004 Liberty Renegade. I think there was extra transmission cooling as well.

7. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Yes, Rubicon width new generation D44's and the optional 875 auto for diesel. now if the built in brake controller becomes available the same time the diesel does life will be good.

12soldier likes this.
  8. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I'll never own another truck without the integrated brake controller.

red-jk likes this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Definitely a must have if you tow. I never understood why this wasn't included in a tow package.

10. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I believe most boat trailers still have surge brakes, so no need for a brake controller...but I agree, its nice to have an integrated one as opposed to having to add an aftermarket one.

suzq044 and valiant67 like this.
  11. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone on this forum is looking for a new Gladiator. Because if you are, I saw a boatload (15+) Gladiators on the ground here in Raleigh, NC at my CDJR dealer.

12. Satellite Saint

Satellite Saint Active Member

I haven't seen a single promotion for the Gladiator yet. Not in print or an ad on TV or a billboard or anything. Is Jeep just expecting people to know about it? Has anyone here seen anything?

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

o_O It’s been on Every. Single. Website. for months if not years.

14. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Online banner ads are customized according to each person’s browsing habits.

One person may never see a particular ad; another may be vomiting from seeing so many.

Satellite Saint likes this.
  15. Satellite Saint

So Jeep should stop spending the gobs of money on tv ads because internet banners are better? Sorry, tv gets to more of the population than web banners.

16. Satellite Saint

And then there's this.

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Sigh. I’m not talking banner ads, I’m talking endless articles on speculating, then reveal, finally first impressions of the new Gladiator. The Gladiator has been fricken everywhere someone would go if they are looking at Jeeps or trucks. Early adopters aren’t likely to be the people who never do research on the internet or purchase a vehicle completely unknown to them. It ain’t 1960 anymore. The Gladiator will start to be incorporated into generic Jeep TV ads but I highly doubt Jeep will or needs to spend money on expensive Gladiator specific advertising anytime soon.

Besides this is FCA. Do you really expect an ad campaign for anything?!?

18. aldo90731

I just did another search around my zip code: there are about 50 Gladiators listed: 1/3 are Rubicons with a $5,000 markup; all the others are at MSRP.

There’s also a half dozen used Gladiators with less than 2,000 miles at GM and Ford dealerships...

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Having an integrated brake controller would be nice, but installing an aftermarket one isn't a big deal anymore. Just installed one on my Ram, attach it somewhere on the dash, and plug it in under the dash. No splicing wires, no hassle.

Chase300 likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Gladiator lost to Colorado ZR2 on Motor Trend’s latest 3-way comparo:

“...the Jeep's propensity to drag its belly over obstacles is disconcerting when you're a hundred miles outside of civilization; we'd want larger tires and a suspension lift to attempt to address its test-worst breakover angle. And then there's the Gladiator's price; when optioned up comparably to the Toyota and Chevrolet like our truck was, the Gladiator stickers for an eye-watering $60,675. The Gladiator is good, but not ... $11,000 better than our winner.”

I don’t normally agree with Motor Trend, but they hit the nail on the head when they write about Tacoma:

“...its cramped cabin is an unenjoyable place to spend hundreds of miles off-road, and although well-hidden on the trail, the Tacoma's poor transmission tuning and carlike engine are hindrances that would require owner modification...”

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...on-vs-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-comparison-test/

Zagnut27 likes this.