AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 19 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The dealer had several on the lot when I went to look them over. The best looking one was a lifted Sport. It really helps the proportions. They brought one for me to test, but I never left the lot in it. I wanted to like it, and from an emotional point I do. But it’s just too expensive and too cramped inside for that money, and just not really practical. I’d just came from looking at Rangers. I got the distinct impression they aren’t flying off the lot as fast (both Ranger and Gladiator) but that they couldn’t deal on either the way they watched.

aldo90731 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I think I've seen 6, half of them pulling trailers/campers.

3. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Any newer models coming for next year (Moab, high altitude, etc.)... when do expect the diesel to hit the US?

4. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

OK...... So according to FCA Gladiator sold a whopping 40k Gladiators in 2019. JFTR This month we are getting "spins from FCA" to sell the 2020 Gladiator........ In my 20+years of working for Chrysler Jeep I have never seen this on a model that has been out less than a year.....[​IMG]

aldo90731 and HotCarNut like this.
  5. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

HotCarNut likes this.
  6. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

Lol, believe me, I had no idea we would be seeing $70k ads for Gladiators.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. FCA is embarrassing itself.

With all the clamor for a Dakota, Jeep has truly dropped the ball in their pursuit of $$ over wisdom.

7. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Gladiator prices will come down when sales volume drops. They'll introduce a cheaper entry model or special edition package, and then sales will increase again. There are only so many people willing to overpay for the hottest new thing. Then reality sets in, and it becomes more affordable.

Devildodge, jclick and aldo90731 like this.
  8. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

The biggest problem with the Gladiator here in Denver is power. The altitude kills the NA V6, and the tow rating going up over the divide might as well be half. Cautiously optimistic that the 3.0L diesel will perform significantly better given the way it performs in RAMs, but the heat issues in the Wrangler engine compartment under load are REALLY concerning as there is even less air to help circulate the radiator and cool that lump at altitude. The last-gen ran hot in the GCs up here all the time without a load. I’m waiting for the diesel JLs to drop and my local dealership GM has ordered one for himself. We’ll know quickly how hot it gets in the Wrangler normally, and that should be a pretty good indicator for Gladiator.

aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

40,000 Gladiators in six months is indeed a very decent number.

However, let’s not forget that between JT and JL, FCA is now sitting on a combined production capacity of 500,000 units per year.

If we annualize JT sales, FCA only sold 308,000 combined (JT + JL) units in 2019. That is a LOT of under-utilized plant capacity. And we all know how sensitive FCA is to plant utilization. The pressure’s definitely on.

jclick, HotCarNut and page2171 like this.
  10. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

This thread started in mid March.

not sure when they started to arrive in the states but I would consider that they have been on the lots for 5 to 6 months. Considering the price of the gladiator, I think they have done quite well at the moment.

there are minimal rebates on the wrangler line in Canada.

looking forward to driving the diesel and the new wrangler 4xe in the future.

wil

11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Based on the first six on the sales, I looks like it would be a stretch to move 100,000 Gladiators every year.

The old Toledo plant can produce 200,000 units. At some point FCA is going to have to figure out if it is better off taking these margins, or lowering prices and increasing production.

12. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

How many units does global sales add to the total?

13. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Then they can add the J6. That’s the one I want.

wvutuba, FreeLantz and tabutler like this.
  14. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Is that why rumblings of a Dakota return are coming back?

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I don't know. But something like 80% of JL production is still being sold in North America.

I doubt Wrangler and Gladiator will become big global sellers.

#375 aldo90731, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    jclick likes this.
  16. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Because of price and preasence JL/JT could act as a Halo vehicle for the Jeep lineup, raising sales for the other models. Just like it does here.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Perhaps - but with the freshest lineup of the FCA brands, Jeep sales are still falling slightly in the Us AND Canada. I haven't seen rest of world Jeep numbers yet.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  18. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

If they would come with a GOOD diesel that FCA really supported (ie trained mechanics, made sure parts are in the pipeline etc) that could change!

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

this is what I'm thinking. A Dakota on the Gladiator platform would be a great mid size truck, the Gladiator rides well enough that they can keep the live front axle, to reduce engineering costs. That also allows the future development of a mid size Powerwagon, something no one else has at present.

LoganSix likes this.
  20. WXman

WXman Active Member

Well, I actually expected sales to be better.

The real problem is that people don't see the value in the Gladiator. They see the sticker price and run away. They don't take the time to dive into the fact that Gladiator has the largest brakes in the class, the strongest frame in the class, the most 2nd row legroom in the class, the highest gasoline towing capacity in the class, the most offroad capability you can get, the only truck in the country with a convertible top and removable doors, the only truck in the segment with a ZF-based world class transmission, the only truck in the segment that has an engine that has been on Ward's 10 Best Engines list in multiple years, etc. etc. etc. You get SO much more with Gladiator than you do with any other midsize truck you can buy. But..... none of that matters because shoppers see the sticker price and run.

Which brings me to my next point. FCA screwed this up because they should have put entry level Sports on the lots FIRST. Get a thick shipment of $35-40k models on the lots across the nation first. THEN start weaning in your higher priced trims. Instead, what they did was the opposite. Every dealership in America is stacked up with $55-63k trucks and so the average consumer now believes that this is a $60k truck. It was horrible marketing on FCA's part.

At the end of the day, it's a sad story because Gladiator is so misunderstood. This truck has payload and towing numbers that rival full size trucks, combined with more off-road prowess and more fun factor and a LOT more resale value.

jclick, page2171 and LoganSix like this.