AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 20 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I agree that Wrangler casts a halo over the entire Jeep lineup.

But JL is not just a “halo” vehicle in North America; it is a key part of Jeep’s sales volume.

In any event, the question would remain: why would FCA increase production capacity to 500,000 units if JL/JT were just a “halo” product? My guess is FCA was expecting greater sales than it’s been getting.

#381 aldo90731, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

The original sales forecast by FCA to make the production validation point was something like 70-80K units a year. It was much later and closer to the actual launch that the numbers climbed to the 100K range. The last two quarters have seen about 16K+ and I think we will see increases this year. The 70K-80K original numbers might stand as being correct.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

80,000 would be global, no?

4. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

I am just curious but why do you think there will "increases " this year? o_O Is FCA planning some serious marketing changes? Rebates or lease programs to help this baby? If not... I don't see it. The initial hype for the Gladiator is over..... All of the "gotta have it " folks purchased it or were scared off by the prices.....

FCA's biggest problems at times as I see it is their marketing. I just read that there is Pacifica refresh due soon......Thats the least of their problems right now. The current Pacifica lease SUCKS!!! Month after mont we are loosing customers to other brands because the current programs not competitive. People that had Town and country and Pacifica Touring L+ leases are being given numbers 100+ ,ore than their current lease.. all but forcing them to go consider other makes and models.

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Found some numbers from a few years ago when the Wrangler was about 200k in domestic sales... they had 55k additional international sales that year (in a capacity constrained plant). They might be closer to 400k than 300k.

#385 JKU12, Jan 6, 2020
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If Canada is the next largest market, it isn't adding but about 10% more.
    2019 Wrangler sales: 26,569 vs. 228,032 in the US.
    2019 Gladiator sales: 1.950 vs. 40,047 in the US.

7. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

See my post above, found something from 2015 that showed ~55k Wrangler international sales vs 200k domestic that year.

8. Ruptured Duck

I run into a great number of people that are not aware the Gladiator even existed. Its going to take a year to get this thing rolling. The "I got to have it " guy or gal would have been in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. The 4th is a little more telling to me from a product development managers stand point. Do I have hard numbers to back this up, no. Its an educated guess on my part. Yes I am an owner and get a lot of questions regarding it and its function as both a Jeep and a truck. I agree the optioned up cost is a bit steep in price. If you want something a hell of a lot more fun than a standard truck this it. An entry level Sport is not that bad of a deal if you order or lucky to find on on a lot. Based off the feedback from potential buyers I think 2020 will see an increase (economy holding) based off additional exposure and interaction to something completely new to the market as well as the general increase of midsize truck sale.
    We are not even a year in so just not gonna spell out dome or glom just yet.

Here are the 2019 sales numbers.

Toyota Tacoma 248,801 +1.3%
    Chevy Colorado 122,304 -9.3%
    Ford Ranger 89,572 New
    Nissan Frontier 72,369 -9.0%
    Jeep Gladiator 40,047 New
    Honda Ridgeline 33,334 9.0%
    GMC Canyon 32,825 -2.0%

#388 Ruptured Duck, Jan 6, 2020
    jclick, Zagnut27 and BASONE88 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Only six months in, Gladiator already outsold Honda Ridgeline for the entire year. How sad.

Hyundai is reportedly planning a unibody pickup. I hope they are paying attention.

10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m surprised that Ford has sold as many Rangers as they have, considering most reviews I’ve read have been awful.

11. CDJSalesPro

If the last 2 quarters were 16k my math projects under 70k annually.....(Ill be happy if we sell 50k+ Gladiators in 2020)
    I think the FCA forgets that the established players in some of these markets have been selling their trucks for over a decade the leader Toyota for 25years, Chevy 17years even the damn Ridgline has 13years under its belt. Even though the Ranger is new its name has been around since 1983:rolleyes: I just dont think they take account for brand equity and loyalty. Its like looking at the 200 and Dart and wondering why they are not competing with Altima , Camry and Corolla they had a 20+year headstart.....

FCA has to start thinking long game. Its hard to build an overnight success.....

Aldo you explained The "Toyota Magic" perfectly in this post

gforce2002, tomit, aldo90731 and 2 others like this.
  12. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I was in Fort Lauderdale this past week. I saw a few running around with the doors off and top down. Amazing every time I see them.

tlc and Ruptured Duck like this.
  13. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

Gladiator would have outsold the Nissan, if it was out for entire year. It might have tied the Ford.
    Not bad, for a premium price vehicle.

djsamuel and Ruptured Duck like this.
  14. aldo90731

Indeed. However, Gladiator owes a lot of those sales to “image.”

I remain doubtful JT will able to sustain sales beyond 24-36 months. Sales that are so highly reliant on image are notorious for running wild at first, but eventually running out of steam. I.e., the definition of a fad.

fad
    /fad/

noun

• an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

IMO, what risks making Gladiator particularly faddish, is the obvious high price for quality/content/comfort/performance that is easily available elsewhere for a lot less. Worse, Gladiator pricing regularly crosses into full-size territory, any of which can easily outperform JT on most traditional pickup truck measures.

#394 aldo90731, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  15. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

A Fad like SUV's??

LoganSix likes this.
  16. aldo90731

No. The SUV is pretty much dead. What we have today is a cross between a FWD sedan and an old SUV, hence the “cross-over vehicle” or CUV.

We tend to call CUVs “SUV” because of their tall, 2-box design and AWD capability. But underneath they look more Camry and Accord than Wrangler or Xterra: unibody construction, FWD origins, traverse mounted motor, strut front suspension, mostly 4-cyl engines, non-selectable AWD, etc., etc.

The CUV, unlike the SUV, is here to stay.

#396 aldo90731, Jan 7, 2020
    Zagnut27 likes this.
  17. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

Jeep is all about "image". Every Jeep. Do people actually need Wranglers? Do they need Rubicon trim models?

Yes, the price is the problem. And, yes, full-sized trucks could outperform the Gladiator in towing, because they are about twice the size. That's why people like mid-sized trucks, because they aren't huge. Ram needs to bring back the Dakota based on the Gladiator and priced lower. The mid-sized market is growing again and hopefully FCPA (our whatever it is going to be) takes advantage.

Also, I just saw an add for the Jeep Wrangler 4xe. If the Wrangler is hybrid-electric, the Gladiator won't be far behind.

18. aldo90731

Yes, image has always been a key element in Jeep sales. However, Jeeps never sold at these prices before, and they offered substance in the form of uncompromising off-road capability.

Jeep did an excellent job with JL and JT. But IMO FCA is now building a house of cards with misguided pricing practices.

FCA set out to attract a “new” type of buyer with JL/JT: one that is more affluent, more educated —and presumable better looking too, that could afford to pay these prices. By extension, “image” had to play a bigger role in this new strategy.

I think FCA may have been able to get away with it had it followed through with delivering the levels of reliability, dependability and customer service that are expected at these prices and volumes. Consumer data shows that emotion gets you in the door; good old quality and customer service keep you coming back.

The way things stand at the moment, “image” alone is not going to be enough to keep this party going forever. At some point, either prices, volume, or both, will need to come down.

#398 aldo90731, Jan 7, 2020
  19. CDJSalesPro

This thread was started because I asked the question what are FCA's projections for the vehicle. We cant say that the projections are 100 to 200k and then act like its a win if you sell 60k...... o_O

The Nissan Frontier has been out for over 15 years and its best sales year ever was almost 87k Nissan Frontier Sales Figures (at https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/nissan-frontier-sales-figures/ ) And it it took them 10years to achieve that number.

The difference is I see room for growth with Ford Ranger......they improved with each quarter....Ford Ranger Sales Figures (at https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/ford-ranger-sales-figures/ ) .The Gladiator sales are slowing.......:oops:

aldo90731 likes this.
  20. Ruptured Duck

Here is the funny thing about the Gladiator in comparison to the JL Wrangler as a DD. I have owned both and also JK 4dr to JL4dr comparison. The Gladiator works better all around than the JL Wrangler as a family vehicle. The one side note is that I have added a rolling bed cover so that I now actually have usable cargo carrying capability over the JL. All the same interior room (sitting) and comfort for front and rear occupants and now worries where I am going to put stuff. Honestly the rear cargo area of the JL is not very usable unless you fold seats. JT no problem. Also the ride of the JT over the JL is so much better in comparison. Jeep did an amazing job of keeping all that makes a Jeep Wrangler special and added an bed. Other than off-road compromises due to length and turning radius the JT in my opinion is a much better choice as a DD Jeep. Length for garages and parking will always be a problem and drive potential buys away and int a JL but anyone looking at buying a JL really should do themselves a favor and test drive the Gladiator as well. In my opinion its that much better.