AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Gladiator sold 40k in 9 months, roughly 7k in an abbreviated ramping up Q2, then a bit over 16k each in Q3 and Q4. 16k or so per quarter puts it in the mid-60k range if that pace holds.

That said, I am seeing discounts being advertised now.

2. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

OK consider me "shocked" lol What is your point? If you are going to quote me dont cherry pick ......post the whole quote......
    Below is the original post that started this thread......:rolleyes:

BASONE88 likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The way FCA keeps driving up JL and JT MSRPs, it is as if the pricing and the sales teams aren’t talking to each other.

Zagnut27, CDJSalesPro and page2171 like this.
  4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Forgive me for not knowing. Terminology appears to be different when it comes to the auto industry compared to just about every other type of product.
    Is the 40,000 sold, actually "purchased by people" or "ordered by dealers"?
    I'm not interested in how many the factory pushed out the door, I care how many are in someone's driveway.

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It is supposed to be purchased by customers. But some —mostly German— automakers have been cheating by reporting sales to dealers.

FCA, BMW, Daimler, have been caught misreporting sales to make it look like they are doing better than they really are. Technically speaking, FCA was doing something different, but the ultimate goal was the same -> to generate fake news and mislead investors.

Either way, the SEC takes a dim view of this; in Q3 2019 it slapped FCA with a $40 million fine for misreporting sales.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Those are sales numbers. There were another 16k or so Gladiators sitting in dealer inventory at the time.

7. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

Yes, the Frontier still does better today because you can literally buy two loaded 4x4 Nissan Frontiers for the price of one loaded Jeep Gladiator. And that's no exaggeration. Why those old trucks are outselling Gladiator is a no-brainer.

So either 1) FCA foolishly did not see this coming because they are morons or 2) They knew their numbers would be lower and they didn't care because their goal was never to outsell the competition.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Or 3) FCA only cares about making the numbers look good in the short-term so Mr Elkann can get his merger through and get his billions.

WXman, cygnus and Chase300 like this.
  10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I've priced out one. If you sit down and order one, and don't have to have the best of everything, they can be bought for what I consider reasonable money for what it is, that is, cheaper than a Grand Cherokee that I might replace one of ours with, yet much more versatile and useful. Resale will be excellent, as with any modern Wrangler. It is simply better in several ways than other midsize trucks:
    Live front axle design, is superior for off road use and other heavy duty use, changing shocks is not a major project like every other truck that uses the coil over shock design
    Manual shifter 4x4 selector, not the trouble prone electronic actuators that cause trouble when age and corrosion sets in
    Full aftermarket support as with any Wrangler

11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I read today on Auto News that Ford Ranger sales grew every quarter since launch in Jan 2019, and outsold Chevrolet Colorado in Q4.

The expectation is that in 2020 Ford Ranger will outsell Chevrolet Colorado. That’s pretty good for a truck that just hit the market.

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

And not bad for a truck that's basically a stop-gap version that was brought in from overseas. The all-new model that's coming in a couple years should, in theory, be much improved over the current one. I'm not a big fan of the GM twins, and certainly not a fan of the Tacoma. If I don't get a Gladiator, my second choice would probably be Ranger (unless I go for full-size with a Rebel).

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The Colorado and Canyon ride and handle very well. The rest of the truck needs attention to make them a good product.

Ryan, FreeLantz and Zagnut27 like this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My brother has had his 2015 GMC Canyon five years without one problem. Meanwhile, in the same period their 2015 Jeep Renegade was in-and-out of the shop for a variety of problems until the warranty expired, the transmission croaked and they traded it in last year for a 2019 Jeep Compass.

IMO, that GMC’s one weakness is the interior: it looked outdated back in 2015 and it looks really ancient now. Otherwise, that truck just keeps on going.

page2171, Zagnut27 and valiant67 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I concur. I had a GMC Canyon for a year. Nothing broke, other than the original battery needing replaced before I took delivery. The truck had sat on the showroom floor and the battery was never kept charged. It was just oil changes and a state inspection. It rode very well - really as nice as my Ram 1500. It felt sportier, I think it out-handles the Ram. The Canyon interior was nice, but not inspiring or modern. The lack of many expected features (heated wheel, power rear slider, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, etc.) that weren't available on the trim level of my truck and many weren't even offered on the Denali trim was disappointing.The engine/transmission weren't that far behind FCA's 3.6 and 8 speed.

page2171, aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

This doesn't surprise me for a couple reasons, excluding that I think the Ranger is a better truck.

1) Ford has a better dealer network and a ton of fleet contracts, and let's face it they just know how to sell trucks better than anyone. 2) The Ranger had a great reputation right up to when it ceased production. Colorado's reputation has been up and down, and while the current generation has been far better, it has had some moments of bad publicity too (side airbags going off for no reason, etc).

BASONE88, page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

True. Ford’s commercial business leaves everyone else’s in the dust. And the prior Ranger was still selling in great numbers when it was discontinued in 2011.

Two years after Ranger had been phased out, tens of thousands of US households were still telling us that they wanted to buy another Ranger. It was nuts. That’s a lot of pent-up demand for this new Ranger to leverage.

#437 aldo90731, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    FreeLantz and page2171 like this.
  18. WXman

WXman Active Member

The dealership in my town has several Gladiators on the lot. Most have been there for weeks if not months. They have one in particular up on the rack in the parking lot so everyone who passes on the highway can see it. It's been there since July 2019. I know it has because I pass it every day. Honestly, what I'm seeing doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Since April 2019, I've seen probably less than six Gladiators on the road.

I've also been told that lease residuals are starting to drop like a rock. When I did my deal in June, Gladiator was pegged at 70% @ 48 months. Today, I've heard that they're down to 66% @ 39 months...which I'm assuming would translate to low-60s @ 48 months. OUCH.

19. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Then you can try to make that work for you. I did this when I decided I wanted a Hemi powered Grand back in 2009. I found 4 different ones that were from 3-2 years old at my local dealer. Started dealing on the one in the best shape with the lowest miles (2007, 25,000 miles) wound up buying it for approx. 1/2 the original sticker price 2.5 years earlier! Factors that contributed were the high cost of gas then and Chrysler's second bankruptcy. Still have it, one of my favorite vehicles in 47 years of driving. Fast, thirsty, comfortable, capable. Reasonably reliable, no repairs at all till 80,000 miles. Hemi still wakes up ready to romp.

20. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

I see a good number here in the North GA area (outside of Atlanta). Not huge but average one a day I would say.

WXman likes this.