AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 23 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

With now over 17k Gladiators showing up for sale on cars.com, that puts Gladiator at a 90+ day supply based on sales the last two quarters.

Anyone who leased one early on with the high residual based in the lease can probably negotiate the buy it price when the lease ends if they want to keep it then. I see what I'd now consider substantial discounts being advertised on Gladiators, but no idea if they are "real" prices or not.

2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It will also depend how determined FCA is to moving customers at the end of their lease into a new
    lease.

3. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

This week FCA put 2k in incentives and $200 in bonus spiffs to sales associates on the Gladiator to help stimulate sales. I have been selling Jeeps for over 23yrs and do you know how many times the Wrangler has had 2k in incentives? NEVER....... So the Gladiator hasn't been on sales for a whole year and there is already money on the hood.........Nothing says success like big discounts 8months after a new product is released. FCA if you are listening....... A corporate backed lease program or low interest rate would have made more of an impact and would not devalue your product.

codypet, thebluegoat and wtxiceman like this.
  4. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I think the consumer is conditioned to expect incentives on pickups....you see them advertised all the time...$8K off, $10K off..ect.
    Plus I'm not sure anyone expected a mid-size pickup..Jeep or not, to be higher priced than a full size 1500.
    Doesn't seem to be of a good value...unless you buy into the Jeep name and that resale will make up the difference in the front end you will pay.
    Finally...its not that attractive a pickup IMO.

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m a Jeep guy through and through, and my knee jerk reaction when Gladiator was coming out was that it was top of my list. But that price...and most people I talk to are saying the same thing...way overpriced for what they perceive they are getting. For what most people will use it for, ANY of the other midsize trucks or even the full size trucks will do it for less $$ and with more content included.

I make a lot more money than the average bear...not bragging by any means (how much do bears make anyway??)...and despite the fact that I’m really cheap...er....I mean frugal....I’m having a hard time justifying the premium pricing. The pricing puts it out of reach for a lot of people. I can get a Rebel for the same amount or less. It wouldn’t be a Jeep, but it would do a lot of what I want it to do (and in some instances much more than a Gladiator). The main drawback is size...trying to park a full size in my garage at work. But another midsize would work just fine.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...will I still buy one? Perhaps. Time will tell.

HotCarNut and Chase300 like this.
  6. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Marketing has the uphill battle. I'm not a truck person but I reached a point where I needed a truck. I did not want to loose the Jeep individuality aspect / off-road ability I still desired, so I get the product and what it represents. Are there enough people like me ????? Comparing it to a truck as a truck is the problem.

Zagnut27, page2171, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The 4 door looks long and skinny, a 2 door with an extended cab with a longer bed would be my choice.

Devildodge likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That’s just it. A Tacoma will get you 90%-95% of what JT can do for 20% less money; a Colorado/Canyon for even less.

My hypothesis is that a great proportion of JT’s initial sales are image driven. As the initial novelty wears off, Gladiator will have to compete against other pickup trucks more directly. The only way it will be able to do that is either by (1) instituting significant rebates —like those now common in the full-size pickup market, and/or (2) introducing a more affordable version/value packages.

If I really wanted a JT, I’d wait until the vehicle to had been on the market at least 24 months to see where the chips are likely to end up falling.

#448 aldo90731, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    HotCarNut likes this.
  9. brewdad

brewdad Member

There is no FCA cash on the hood of Gladiator Rubicon, but a 3.85% loan for 60 months is offered.

10. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

Yes the Rubicon is excluded from the 2k......

11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

On my dealer website, they show "savings" of $3700-$5400 on Gladiators, Rubicons included. I can't see what those "savings" entail though....I'm not seeing a breakdown.

12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Yeah!...Just ask Nissan!:p:D

aldo90731 likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Since they priced it initially that high, it appears rebates etc. were built in. I saw my first one the other day at work. I love the truck except where the back wheels are located. They need extended back some so the opening doesn't go into the back of the cab. Just my opinion. I wish someone could rework a photo to see what that would look like. They may have also did it that way so an extended cab, longer bed could use the same wheelbase too.

Tin Man 2 likes this.
  14. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Great comments in this thread.
    Fellow Allparians......do we know if folks from FCA read Allpar ? They could learn a lot !

15. WXman

WXman Active Member

That's the point right there. Nothing on the market competes with Gladiator, because nothing on the market is fully truck and fully Jeep at the same time. That's why JT is actually a good value. People who shy away from it are shopping the wrong vehicle to begin with.

How do you figure? JT leads the midsize truck segment in payload, gasoline towing, interior space, storage, etc. It also has the largest brakes, strongest frame, and all that stuff. As a TRUCK it's the best truck in the midsize segment by a long shot, and there are even some configurations of full size Silverados and Rams that struggle to out-class Gladiator.

BASONE88, tlc and FreeLantz like this.
  16. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Active Member

I agree completely. What FCA needs to figure out is how to market it. While I enjoy the fun driving in the sand with no top or door commercials they need to show it doing truck stuff with the addition of the fun stuff.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My guess is since the pushed leases and now are adding cash to the deal, there will be a nice supply of Gladiators hitting the used market in just over 2 years.

HotCarNut, Zagnut27, codypet and 2 others like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Simply not true. There are quite a few options on the midsize and full size truck markets that are very off-road worthy, or at the very least can be made to be so through modifications. This myth that Gladiator has no competition is just that...a myth. And this is coming from a Jeep guy. What true advantages does Gladiator have? A removable top? Slightly better specs in some areas (depending on trim level)? Does this justify the price premium? Each had to decide that on their own, but a whole lotta people have been saying “nope” so far.

People may shy away for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is price. If you can’t afford it, nothing else matters.

19. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

The length of the Gladiator in my opinion limits it being 'fully Jeep'.
    The Africa concept with the cargo area converted into a mini bed is what I would really like to purchase.

Bionicrooster and Zagnut27 like this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The breakover angle for Gladiator is increased significantly over Wrangler, though it still performs quite well. It's still a good Jeep, just not quite the same animal as Wrangler.

I always was a big fan of the Africa concept. Definitely one of my favorites...it seemed like they could've done a few different variants based upon it.