AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Agree with what you have to say. I also believe that it is far too early to be calling the Gladiator a flop (if you read what some here are saying). I agree that this product will need some additional time to hit its stride. Quality is a sticking point for Jeep. JK demand was so high that Jeep kind of brushed off the need to improve. The JL unfortunately hit the market with issues out for the box that should have never ever happened. Even though it was delayed was it rushed to market? Regardless the quality issue has tarnished the image of the Wrangler and Jeep despite all that it has going for it. Has this rolled over into the JT?? It appears there are some but fortunately I am not part of that group.

I wish we were able to get monthly sales numbers. Now we have to sit on our hands for 3 months to see if things are ticking up or down. Guess this conversation will spring back to life first week in April.

page2171, Zagnut27, tlc and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It's worst for Chrysler and now FCA when they have a new vehicle which attracts nontraditional buyers (people hwo would not consider an American or Chrylser vehicle) and then screw it up, e.g. 1995 Neon, Daimler-destroyed Sebring Convertible, etc.

3. aldo90731

Indeed. It is too early to label JT a flop.

Nevertheless, less than a year out there are clear headwinds. Meanwhile, FCA keeps rising MSRPs, selling to fleets, adding rebates and playing games with lease residuals.

Alfa Romeo is already being labeled a flop. From a strategic standpoint, FCA cannot afford to let Gladiator fail. It would leave both Jeep and FCA with a black eye. So, instead of obsessing about margins and sales volumes that look increasingly unattainable, it ought to focus on making sure that JT sticks. And the way to do that right now, is by making sure JT’s value is obvious to buyers.

#543 aldo90731, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Dave Z, page2171, HotCarNut and 4 others like this.
  4. aldo90731

Yep. I see this in the JL forums every day. Normally the forum members that complain most about the steering, the poor quality and customer treatment show Audis, BMWs and Porsches in their signatures.

FCA set out to attract them, and it did. It now has to keep ‘em.

77 Monaco Brougham and Dave Z like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I agree, but I'll go even further. Beyond not improving quality, it seems at times they went backwards in quality dues to (probably) cost reduction.

My 2007 Wrangler had an interior only a Jeep fan could love (or maybe just tolerate) - but it was durable.
    The newer JKs I've had ended up with a nicer looking interior, but the driver's seat seems more wear prone, the plastics scratch easier, the seat frames on some develop an odd annoying squeak, and various electrical wiring recalls crept into the post-refresh JKs.

#545 valiant67, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  6. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

I too dont want the Gladiator labeled as a flop. My Original post was simply asking what the insiders actually thought the sales projections were going to be. If 50k-60k per year is the number then we are ok. However if their goal was much more lofty....like 100k+ then we might have a problem.

I am calling for more creative ways to show VALUE rather than cash on the hood. More creative marketing without devaluing the Gladiator name.

7. WXman

WXman Active Member

I was bored the other night and just for kicks and giggles I "built" a new JL Wrangler on the Jeep website. The automatic transmission option has increased again. It's now $2,800! That's insane. $2,000 was insane. $2,800 is a new level of insanity.

I always thought it was funny that on any other FCA vehicle, be it a Challenger, Ram, etc., you could option a different axle ratio for $95 bucks. But on a Jeep it was $595 bucks.

When JL and JT came out, FCA became very blatant with their greed. Nobody can fault a company for trying to earn profits. That's the point, after all. But to do so in such a blatant, in our face, carefree kind of way was a real shock and obviously to a lot of consumers it's enough to make them walk.

8. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

If sales don't meet expectations, my guess is that JL/JT will have a longer MCA refresh/redesign timeline. It still mints good coin, it just won't be refreshed or redesigned as quickly.

9. aldo90731

^^^ X 100!

Marketing can only go so far, though. The higher those MSRPs go, the more quality and service need to be part of the equation.

When I say service, I am not placing all the burden on dealers. FCA is responsible for training, paying and rewarding dealers appropriately.

10. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Not JL or JT related but on the '17 Ram Big Horn the bucket seat with console option was 295. The '20 Warlock has the identical package for 1295. More greed.

WXman likes this.
  11. Ruptured Duck

I think new comers to the market might keep this from happening. For so long FCA and Jeep controlled this market and did what they wanted. Look at how long the JK was able to stay relevant. Easy to do when you are the only game.

12. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Heck that even happened with the XJ Cherokee. The interior of my 89 held up much better than the interior of my 01.
    The interiors before the 97 refresh definitely had a clunky appearance but everything was more durable. Those old style door panels with padded vinyl and carpet on the lower section held up better than the hard plastic on the later ones.

gforce2002 likes this.
  13. aldo90731

MSN reports today “Jeep Gladiator was a hot ticket item; now it’s up to $9,000 off!”

This is precisely the gamble FCA took by coming out with an obvious lifestyle truck at such insane prices. Words like hype and fad are now going to get thrown around.

Jeep Gladiator was a hot-ticket item, now it's up to $9,000 off

Once the word gets out...you better watch out.

HotCarNut likes this.
  14. Ruptured Duck

15. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

If the theme is "Groundhog Day", wouldn't it make more sense to use that in a commercial for the Chrysler 300?

16. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

While many here are touting the "mostness" of the Gladiator (how it has the most payload, most towing, most power ) etc... I'm really not sure the mid-size truck segment really cares about that sort of stuff as much as some think. I mean the whole point of them buying a smaller truck is that they didn't need that extra size or capability in the first place. The Gladiator starts 100 pounds heavier than where the Tacoma ends. It's also 6" longer and 5" taller than a Tacoma or Colorado of the same cab/bed configuration. On top of its unneeded "mostness", it's only offered in a single cab and bed configuration. A quick search on cars.com shows that about ~15% of Tacoma Inventory are extended cab models, and ~35% of them are 2WD. I'm seeing about the same proportions for the Colorado as well. I had a little more trouble getting hard numbers for bed lengths, but it appears that both the Colorado and Tacoma have thousands of trucks in inventory with the "long" 6' bed option.

I think FCA really lost sight of what makes a good compact/mid-sized truck. Seems like they really haven't learned their lesson from the Dakota yet. On top of that, based on the inventory numbers, it seems that FCA is effectively removing themselves from ~20-35% of the mid-size truck market because of their lack of cab/bed/drivetrain options.

Steering issues like that in a solid-axle vehicle are almost always related to track-bar bushings and steering linkages being too compliant (soft and floppy). Looks like FCA is trying to mask it with some EPS software tricks. You aren't really going to fix the issue without going to much stiffer components which will hurt ride quality. This is why I continue to push back hard against the "softening" of trucks. Yes modern trucks are more capable and more livable than ever, but all of the features that enable that make it objectively a worse truck. These modern trucks (not just the JT) become downright awful to drive in 120,000 miles when those already soft track-bar bushings are completely worn out and the hydraulic cab mounts have leaked out all their fluid or disintegrated (*cough* Super Duty *cough*)

HotCarNut, aldo90731 and page2171 like this.
  17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I still believe a smaller version of the Gladiator would help sales, a smaller back seat, what I call a cab and a half version would look much better, and I would like to have one, the 4 door just looks akward. Of course once the rebates start in Ernest the cost will become less of a factor

18. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Who said FCA was trying to make a good compact/mid sized truck to compete with 2wd Tacomas?

They wanted to make a Wrangler truck. And they did. And poor pricing or whatever doesn't take away that this is a home run and exactly what it should be from a Wrangler truck.

19. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

One point, the Gladiator is very comfortable to sit in for the driver and front passengers, the Tacoma is NOT. Toyota has been resting on their laurels with the Tacoma for years and to me the Gladiator is a superior product in many ways. They must still improve quality, but I have to say that each one of our Jeeps ('98, '07 and '17) has been better than the one before in quality.

Ryan and HotCarNut like this.
  20. aldo90731

Toyota has been milking the Tacoma cow for as long as it could. It is now reportedly developing a new Tundra and Tacoma to be built off one common frame, which would greatly reduce costs, and include hybrids.

If they are able to pull it off, and chances are they can, Toyota could overnight re-write what we expect from pickup trucks.

HotCarNut likes this.