AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 32 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Point taken. But if prices of kiwis go up a LOT above those of apples, there will be few people eating kiwis. No matter how much people love them.

At the end of the day, Gladiator has to justify its existence just like any other product on the market: as prices go up, volume goes down. There’s no way around it.

2. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Hasn't this always been the case? I wonder why midsize are having more trouble now?

3. aldo90731

Yes. Because it costs roughly the same to build a midsize and fullsize, but automakers can't price them the same. Despite the smaller size of the midsize pickups, their tighter interiors and lower towing/hauling specs, fuel economy is not that much better.

HotCarNut, page2171 and Doug D like this.
  4. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

These are the reasons I don't have a lot of interest buying a mid size truck, lack of interior space, fuel mileage and price compared to a full size truck. With these issues, I still look at the Gladiator and wouldn't kick it out of my garage as a personal daily driver. (Ask me this when the new TRX comes out and I might change my mind... lol)

As a work vehicle, I would still take a full size truck any day.

Wil

5. aldo90731

My hypothesis is there’s a proportion of pickup buyers that simply don’t want the size and heft of a full-size pickup. Then there’s another pickup buyer who buys a midsize for financial/economic/efficiency considerations but would jump into a full-size pickup given the opportunity.

The first group sustains the midsize segment; the second creates these migrations from midsize to full-size given the right conditions.

Gladiator clearly has such unique differentiation that it has ability to attract buyers better than most midsize trucks. But this doesn’t mean that differentiation remains at any price. The moment the price difference becomes too objectionable, Gladiator’s uniqueness goes out the window.

#625 aldo90731, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Right now I'm on the fence for my next truck. I love my Ram 1500, but I currently don't need that much capacity, and it takes a lot of garage space. A smaller truck is tempting. I don't have a lot of clearance to the sides of the mirrors when pulling in/out of the garage, and new full size trucks aren't any narrower than my 2005.

cdjr77 and Zagnut27 like this.
  7. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

A new truck the size of the original Dakota would make a good second car, but who will make it ?

cdjr77, superduckie5000 and jclick like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Indeed. Back in 2006 when I purchased the 1500 (new) I have today I initially was interested in the Dakota. When I asked the salesman what kind of incentives there were, he informed me there were rebates on the 1500, Charger and minivans. The Dakota had little or no incentives. So for just about $2,000 more for a comparable Dakota I bought a full size quad cab Ram with the Hemi. The V8 equipped Dakota had about the same fuel mileage rating as the 1500 Hemi. In fact, as I recall the Hemi had a higher city mileage rating by 1 mpg. It was a no brainer for me to get the Ram. For those that have a small garage (what's that? :eek:) I understand the appeal of a smaller mid-size truck.

By the way - I still have the 1500. ;)

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

cdjr77 and page2171 like this.
  10. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Very well said @aldo90731 . Personally speaking, I would buy the Gladiator over any other midsize offered. However, if a Ram 1500 is only a few thousand more, it really does become a No-Brainer in favor of the RAM.

Coincidentally, I passed a 90's era Ford Ranger yesterday on my commute home... That.... Thing..... Was.... TINY!!!! Hahahaaa... However, I still see the appeal in a two-seat, pick up the size of a VW Rabbit, lol.

aldo90731 likes this.
  11. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Seeing on average 2-4 Gladiator's a day in the Pacific Northwest (specifically Seattle metro) a day. These are selling great!

[​IMG]

Pretty much all are silver, black, or white. Talk about boring colors. Come one people!

12. aldo90731

Looks like a black and white photo.

13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And there's another somewhat unspoken thing about the Gladiator. The wheelbase proportion. I wish someone could straighten out the back doors and lengthen the wheelbase to correct the way the back flares cut into the cab. It looks kinda dumb. IMHO.

14. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

It does until you see the cones .

Doug D likes this.
  15. cdjr77

cdjr77 Well-Known Member

To me its a question of weather or not you can get it in your garage or not. Don't get me wrong i love Ram but one size doesn't fit all. I loved my Dakota

16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not an issue for me. Don't have a garage.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We have a 3-car garage...we find it useful for parking "stuff", but have only rarely parked a vehicle in there except during repairs. My bigger concern has always been trying to fit into the spots at the garage at work. City driving is not exactly the best environment for a full-size pickup, though you do see them.

18. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The proportions are terrible, but they don,t need a longer wheelbase they need a smaller cab with a longer bed.

19. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

You seeing the same 2-4 gladiators every day?

Bionicrooster likes this.
  20. aldo90731

“Lifestyle” trucks tend to have cabin spacious cabins and short beds. But then again, Jeep doesn’t want JT to be viewed as a “lifestyle” truck.

As a Wrangler owner, Gladiator offers too many compromises for my liking:
    1. The wheelbase is too long. This is of great hindrance when parking at the mall, turning around on a trail or going over large obstacles.
    2. The rear overhang is too large. This only adds to the hindrance where you need a steep angle of departure.
    3. The spare tire under the bed is a chore and a hindrance. Although I still have to get a flat on the trail —knock on wood, accessing the spare under the bed is quite a chore. Worse, it further reduces angle of departure.
    4. The lack of an enclosed cargo area has its limitations. This is true of any midsize pickup: there’s no place for the groceries or other loose items, particularly if you have a cabin full of people. Most owners solution is to mount a canopy. However, putting a canopy on the back of Gladiator completely misses the point of it being a “cool” truck.
    5. The price is too expensive. The market norm is for pickups to be priced below their SUV relatives. Gladiator is the opposite by being price above not just above other midsize pickups, but Wrangler as well.
    Judging Gladiator from the typical off-road perspective, Gladiator shows too many compromises. Judging Gladiator from a midsize pickup perspective, JT looks too expensive to provide real value and substance.

However, when viewed as a desert runner, JT suddenly looks absolutely brilliant. Chances are this is where Gladiator’s key to success will lie.

HotCarNut likes this.