AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 33 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The other thing with Gladiator is they beefed it up so it could tow like a full-size truck. Presumably there's a reason for that.

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

One can cover the bed of a Gladiator either with a tonneau cover, or my personal favorite...a canvas topper. For example, look at this similarly sized vehicle as a reference.

(Note, vehicle pictured is not intended to actually be of similar size. Vehicle represented is for reference only. Any similarities between vehicles is purely coincidental. Not for use with some sets. Void where prohibited. See in store for details).

500EAAFF-5A19-4348-8262-B90CCE5A56AC.jpeg

Break over angle may be of concern, with Gladiator, but who cares about departure angle anyway? It’s only important if you’re retreating. Advance! Advance! Advance! Attack! Attack! Attack!

(Old zagnuts never die...they just fade awwwaaaaaaaaaay. Or in my case, slink out of the room as people look on in confusion as to what I just said.....).

:p

Bajanbuoy, rmtodd, Morty and 8 others like this.
  3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

RE #4: I thought the JT had a cover for the bed that came with it?

4. aldo90731

Not on the ones I saw at the auto show. Perhaps a Mopar option?

5. aldo90731

Yeah, I don’t know. IMO it defeats the purpose of getting a “cool” truck.

Besides, rear visibility has to be atrocious.

[​IMG]

6. aldo90731

This dude is ready for Armageddon
    [​IMG]

This one gives me an idea for a Taco Truck. It just needs a smoke stack popping from the top. Judging by the tires, it is ready to take chimichangas to new heights.
    [​IMG]

#646 aldo90731, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

There may be, but does the public know that? Not many commercials on about what it can tow. The JT isn't for everybody. Honestly they'd be better off building a Dakota off this to fill the lower end of the market and leave the JT to the more premium crowd.

8. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

JT seems like the perfect overlanding vehicle. That and desert running could really be it's niche. I could also see plenty of people who like to be outdoors for hunting, fishing, camping be big fans. Having the truck bed would be great for messier activities like this. Maybe it's not quite the trail runner that Wrangler is due to its length, but there are plenty of applications where it could perform better than Wrangler.

Mr. Fusion and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

No. I know which one's are the same usually. ;-) They are indeed different.

pug-man likes this.
  10. aldo90731

11. aldo90731

Gladiator gets high centered during official press reveal

12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

By no means am I any kind of expert at how a vehicle should behave on the Rubicon Trail.

That said...just viewing the video as a lay-person...this looks disappointing.

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Meh, any vehicle can get stuck under the wrong circumstances. Gladiator may be more prone to it than a Wrangler, but less so than perhaps my Liberty was.

But from the video, all you need is a guy with a beard, a Jeep shirt, and some tattoos to help push it out of trouble. I've got the beard (goatee) and I am sure I can find a Jeep shirt...may have one or two already...all I'm missing is the tattoos. But, I think I can draw some if need be.

Good to go!! :D

14. aldo90731

Gladiator’s wheelbase is too long to serve effectively as a trail vehicle. Yes, it can be lifted and fit with 37” tires, but out-of-the-box it offers too many compromises for the trail.

Had JT launched with Mojave it would have saved itself these embarrassing moments on the media.

Gladiator has one long-a$$ wheelbase
    [​IMG]

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

As I recall, the HMMWV suffered from those same issues. Long wheelbase, high centered easily. Oh, and not very resistant to bombs and bullets.

link3721 likes this.
  16. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure we all predicted this a long time ago. Something like the Rubicon Trail is gonna be a bit dicey for the long wheel base. Good thing is there are plenty of other ways to use this truck.

17. aldo90731

The same incident captured by a different visitor.

Notice the signage on the left boasting about JT’s “breakover” angle. :D

#657 aldo90731, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I think Aldo does have a point about the wheelbase, but whatever...

If you're interested in doing some off-roading, may I suggest something with a much shorter wheelbase:
    :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imc9sZUS0zw

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Of course he has a point, but EVERY Jeep has weaknesses as well as strengths. There are some things they do better, and some things not so much. A 4-door Wrangler won't perform as well in some situations as a 2-door Wrangler, and vice versa. A Gladiator won't perform as well at rock climbing as a Wrangler, but a Wrangler can't tow nearly as much as a Gladiator. There are tradeoffs for each of them. Decide which attributes you want, and choose the specific vehicle that meets your mission parameters.

For what I will use a Jeep for, a Gladiator would be the vehicle of choice. I'm not going to be doing much navigating over boulders and such, but the off-road duty I would use it for, it would be able to handle very well. And for all of the times I am going to require a truck, it'll be able to handle those jobs (that a Wrangler would not).

Recognize the limitations of your vehicle, and drive within those limitations, and you will do well.

20. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Guys, Mark Allen said the rear doors are not "straight" into the cab corners because they specifically wanted to keep the doors interchangeable between JL and JT. This helps FCA because it keeps production costs down, and it helps the consumers because in the future replacement doors and replacement door parts will be easier to find and less expensive.

The wheelbase is long because the truck uses a solid front axle, which requires control arms mounted in parallel with the frame unlike IFS trucks, which pushes the front axle farther forward. This was also a design that was done intentionally because that solid front axle is one of Jeep's calling cards. The vehicle had to have it to remain special.

They didn't go with a smaller cab and longer bed because that's not what buyers want. Gladiator as it sits has class leading rear head and leg room. Spend five minutes in a Tacoma and you will REALLY appreciate the cab space. The 5' bed is industry standard, and it gives you a 7.5' load floor instantly with the tailgate down. Zero reason to put a longer bed on the Gladiator.

Comparing a JT's offroad prowess against JL isn't fair. Should we compare JL's payload and towing capacity against JT? Spoiler: JL would get slaughtered.

wilbur, HotCarNut, JKU12 and 3 others like this.