AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 34 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I don’t care because the cost is high enough the door reuse certainly hasn’t cut the price to the buyer. The decision to keep the rear door cut outs makes entry into the rear unnecessarily hindered. I tolerate it on a Wrangler where there is no room for a full door opening, but the full opening would be nice on a truck and much easier to load a big dog in the back.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sorry, but it is fair to compare the two. Gladiator launched as a “RUBICON,” and as we can see from these and other videos, FCA insisted on showing JT going over boulders and taking the press along the Rubicon trail.

Marketing is about creating expectations. If FCA wanted to differentiate JT from JL, then it shouldn’t have launched Gladiator doing the exact same things Wranglers do, on the exact same trails, with the exact same hood stickers. If we now compare JT to JL, is precisely because FCA has conditioned everyone to do so for 10 months. In fact, as we can see on that Chicago Auto Show video, FCA is still doing it. I wouldn’t surprise me if the cause for that JT getting high centered is because FCA is reusing the exact same prop it’s been using to demonstrate JL’s breakover angles.

If towing was to be JT’s “thing”, then FCA would have been better off showing JT doing just that: pulling something —and perhaps slapping a “REBEL” or a “LARAMIE” decal over the hood. Tellingly, FCA doesn’t show JL towing, precisely because it isn’t its forte.

Like I said, launching JT as a “MOJAVE” would have avoided much of this confusion.

#662 aldo90731, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  3. aldo90731

Indeed, as usual, it is less about saving costs; more about maximizing profits.

Bionicrooster and page2171 like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I guess maybe I’m not explaining what I mean adequately enough. Perhaps one more time.

It is fair to compare JT to JL...especially JLU...because JT is going to be able to do a lot of the same things that JL/U can do, though some things it won’t be able to do as well as JL/U. Heck, there are some things that JL can do that JLU cannot. They're not the same exact vehicles with the same exact capabilities.

There are strengths and weaknesses of each, and each customer will have to decide which vehicle will best fit their needs/wants.

If anything, it’s poor marketing on the part of FCA that is leading to any confusion. JT is a purpose-built truck, and if there is any confusion as to what that purpose is, it’s the fault of the suits and not the vehicle. It is performing as designed. In addition, it’s the fault of the drivers and spotters in these videos, to not properly use the vehicle according to its design capabilities. They know it’s got a longer wheelbase and a worse break-over angle...so if they’re getting it stuck consistently, they’re either doing it on purpose or they don’t know what they’re doing.

It’s like hooking a set of oxen up to your cart, and trying to force them through a gate that’s only big enough to accommodate smaller horses, and then getting pissed at the oxen because they can’t fit.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  5. aldo90731

You are explaining yourself perfectly well. I totally get your point: you want a Gladiator for what it is, warts and all.

But you and I, and most of us on here are not representative of the wider buying population. I am simply trying to have a wider conversation.

FCA wanted to bring JT to market. Clearly FCA knows how to build and market pickup trucks. That’s how FCA knew it had to give JT much greater towing capacity if it were to succeed. But, my guess is, once it was ready, it couldn't decide exactly how to position it, so it went with JL's tried-and-true approach.

When bringing a product like JT, so closely related to another one like JL, which also happens to be so profitable, the “fear of cannibalization” is going to lodge itself in executives heads. Which makes it puzzling that they would choose to launch JT with a positioning so closely tied to JL.

IMO, the confusion that exists on the market right now is the direct result of the confusion that must have existed inside FCA when it came to decide how to market JT.

Fortunately, bringing Mojave shows a clear thinking in terms of giving JT its own identity: one that is distinct from JL, and gives JT the opportunity to shine in its own terms. Best of all, one that Jeep can use to leverage JT as halo vehicle as it deploys Mojave across the rest of the lineup.

Having said that, by this juncture FCA must have already used up most of the marketing budget assigned to launch JT. Worse, that money has resulted in quite a bit of confusion.

The task going forward is to leverage Mojave as a means to forge a distinct identity for JT. But as the saying goes "you only have one shot to make a first impression." At this point the task will involve repositioning the product —which is always harder than simply positioning it, and will have to get it done with fewer dollars available.

Enthusiasts like us on here will have little issue understanding JT's repositioning, Mojave's role and all of that, but chances are, at least the way things look right now, none of this may be so clear for the wider buying public.

I have no doubt Gladiator will be a success: the product looks unique and solid enough to stand on its own two feet. Whether it meets FCA’s internal sales and profits expectations is another matter. If it doesn’t, FCA only has itself to blame.

#665 aldo90731, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yup, I agree. I think the biggest confusion for everyone, including the marketing people at FCA is that JL and JT are so closely related that it’s hard to separate the two. If we were comparing capabilities of JL with Cherokee, we’d be saying “well, Cherokee isn’t a Wrangler, so it’d be unfair or unrealistic to expect that level of capability.” However, since JT is seen as a “Wrangler with a truck bed” to a lot of people, then the issue becomes blurred. Proper marketing can help with that, but I think there’s a whole bunch of ignorant people out there that will believe what they want anyway...just judging by the comments I’ve seen to a lot of the articles I’ve read.

We live in the age where facts don’t matter...maybe we were always this way and now social media just spreads the ignorance more easily. Probably so.

tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Jeep is creatively introducing ways to decrease the price of the Gladiator without resorting to incentives. For example, the Gladiator can now be ordered with a Truck of the Year package on Sport S and Overland models.

Truck of the Year package on Sport S:
    - Black Hard Top
    - Tech Group with 7" Radio
    - Convenience Group
    - Trailer Tow

Ordered separately, these options are $3,135, but the Truck of the Year package is only $1,495, so there's a $1,640 savings.

It's even more appealing on the Overland:
    - Black Hard Top
    - 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio
    - Leather Seats
    - Trailer Tow

Price when ordered separately: $4,735
    Truck of the Year package: $2,240
    -----
    Discount: $2,495

jclick, brewdad, saltydog and 7 others like this.
  8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

FCA did design the Gladiator to look like a Wrangler with a bed, so they did kind of invite the comparison.

Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Kudos to FCA for trying to deliver greater value to consumers.

Do you know if those prices include the automatic transmission?

On JL, after announcing that the Recon package would only cost $2,725 extra, the reality was that it cost $4,725 once you added the required automatic transmission.

saltydog and HotCarNut like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

It doesn’t include a transmission. Available on both as far as I can tell.

11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

True, in appearance. But information is very easily available to provide a detailed comparison that illustrates all the differences between the two. If someone stops at the assessment that it’s just a “Wrangler with a truck bed” then it’s just being willfully ignorant (or trolling) at that point IMO when there’s so much information readily available that says otherwise.

Oh well, what can you do...I’m not the internet police...though it is hard to let those types of comments go when I see them online elsewhere. Allpar spoils us.

Ruptured Duck, tlc and page2171 like this.
  12. aldo90731

This is how I explain it to my clients:

Styling plays the same role as an person’s face — it is through the styling that we learn much about that vehicle, become familiar with it, establish its character and worth. Styling helps us determine a vehicle’s identity, its age, lineage and its relations —i.e., brand and siblings.

If we think of styling in these terms, we realize that Wrangler has a twin brother named Gladiator. They are both square-jawed, athletic, have rugged handsome looks and are quite popular. They both love the outdoors, share a sense of informality, a zest for fun and adventure, and are quite accomplished.

So the styling alone gives consumers a TON of information about what Gladiator is, its price, what it can and cannot do. It is through the marketing then, that the automakers have to let consumers know what are the actual differences between these twin brothers.

So far, the marketing has been “dressing” these twins in the exact same clothes, and shown us these twins doing the exact same things. Is it any wonder then, that consumer compare the two and attribute similar characteristics to them?

Meet Wrangler and Gladiator
    [​IMG]

wtxiceman, Zagnut27 and gforce2002 like this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We have 5-year-old boy-girl twins. They wouldn’t help with your explanation though...think of my daughter as a 2-door Wrangler or maybe a Renegade, and my son is a Wagoneer...maybe a Power Wagon. :D

Bajanbuoy, jclick and aldo90731 like this.
  14. aldo90731

That’s because you know them well.

If you only saw your neighbor’s twins walking up and down their driveway, dressed the same, you wouldn’t be able to tell one from the other.

#674 aldo90731, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    gforce2002 and Zagnut27 like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Nope...it’s because my son is literally twice the size of my daughter. The Renegade to Power Wagon comparison is pretty apt. :p:p

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

Galdiator talk aside, those are cute kids!

aldo90731 likes this.
  17. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

I find this whole discussion curious. Why wouldn't people know that Gladiator can tow? Every review I read and every video I watched, highlighted the towing capability as one of the main strengths. This is going back to the media blitz around the original unveiling, and up to the actual launch and beyond. It's everywhere.

Well, almost...apparently it's not in some of the TV commercials, where they only have 30 seconds to convey an impression, and in this case the impression they want to convey is Jeep. Honestly, I can see why they went that way. It's just an extension of the marketing that they've been doing for ages.

But I guarantee you that anybody who is actually interested in towing will know about the capabilities of this truck. People who tow are technically knowledgeable shoppers by necessity (way more so than I am). If I was able to glean this information just from reading basic consumer reviews of the JT, then real truck shoppers will know about this stuff too.

djsamuel, tlc and Zagnut27 like this.
  18. aldo90731

I don't think the question is whether Gladiator can tow, but whether it can crawl over rocks.

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

From what I can tell, it’s 2 possibilities. First, it’s someone who doesn’t know any better, but can’t be bothered to actually read or do research. I call them the willful ignorant. Second, someone does know better, but they’ll still say things like “it’s not a real truck” or “all Jeeps are junk” or something similar. They’re just trolling because they think it makes them look cool.

The internet is a wonderful resource with tons of useful info at your fingertips. But there’s also a wealth of false info and ridiculousness out there as well, and those pedaling that BS often speak the loudest.

cygnus, tlc and page2171 like this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

“Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
    Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
    Oh, I get high with a little help from my friends
    Yes, I get by with a little help from my friends
    With a little help from my friends”
    —With a little help from my friends by The Beatles.....as sung by a Gladiator. :p

danbek and aldo90731 like this.