AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 36 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Which will mean plenty of gently used Gladiators for people to pick up used.

Bionicrooster, codypet and aldo90731 like this.
  2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Within days of posting this, one of my neighbors has bought a silver/gray Jeep, very similar to the one I pictured above. Apparently another neighbor is looking into getting one too. Told ya these things are popular!

JKU12, danbek, Ruptured Duck and 3 others like this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I was talking to a group of 20-year olds from down Seattle: they were telling me Gladiator has become quite the status symbol of the glitzy East Side.

We will have to wait to see what proportion of JT sales are purely for image reasons. If significant, it could have a significant impact on overall sales —both, up and down.

4. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

I hope they are 20 year olds working for Fortune 500 companies making over 100k...... Cause I have sold several Gladiators and not one was under 30.....I bet cha median age is over 40.

5. aldo90731

Indeed, Seattle’s East Side is the hub of the technology sector. So, yeah, there’s lots of money concentrated in very young hands.

Nevertheless, the point remains: what is the overall proportion of individuals buying Gladiator as a status symbol vs those buying it is a truck? The higher the proportion of the former, the harder it will be for JT to sustain long-term momentum.

6. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Spoke with someone very involved in the JT development at SEMA. The area behind the rear doors was to have "something" there to help fell in the open area and to make the dead space have a purpose. Mark Allen pushed and pushed during development meetings but a decision was never made by higher-ups (based off how it was presented to me). It got to far along in development to do anything at all. Lost opportunity.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

I can tell you that it is very bit a truck. I have been working the heck out of mine over the last three weeks getting our house ready to be sold. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 13 years. I had one load of scrap steel that tipped the scale at 700lbs. Don't get me started with the number of trips to Goodwell and the dump.

JKU12, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Ruptured Duck

I have wheeled for a lot of years. This is the case for any truck. Ther JT can do it with it set up correctly. Can it do it as well as a 4dr Wrangler, depends on the driver. I can also tell you that the 2dr Wrangler has advantages over a 4dr and vise versa. Very hard to make a blanket comparison when the JL even has differences within its ranks.

JayhawkOne, JKU12 and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. Ruptured Duck

Do it...Do it... Do it.... Just saying you would love it. I haven't been this happy with a vehicle sense my old CJ-7 rock crawler.

JayhawkOne, danbek and Zagnut27 like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We just sold our house back in September, and had bought our current house in July. All the work we had to do to get the old house ready to sell...we were in that house for 12 years...all the trips to the recycling center, picking up mulch & yard supplies, moving stuff to the new house. My Liberty performed admirably, as it always did, but a truck would’ve been much more useful overall. Especially for the dirtier jobs.

I’m so glad you like it, I like hearing good reports from people who have gotten them...and EVERYONE that I know has said good things so far. You guys help me to keep the faith. :) That and my wife. It seems like destiny at this point. :D

Morty, tlc and danbek like this.
  11. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Meh, I wouldn't read too much into this. Whatever car kids on the East Side (Seattle resident here) were going to buy was always going to image-guided, JT or not. Reminds me of growing up in the south where you needed to have a polo, North Face jacket, and a new Tahoe Z71 to be cool. Small euro sport sedans were also acceptable lol

12. aldo90731

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. Gladiator undeniably attracts image seekers, and those prices are not for everyone.

Like I said, FCA better figure out what is the ratio of image conscious-to-truck users buying JT. If too much of the former, it better air some ads showing Gladiator doing pickup truck stuff. The latter group is going to be the one sustaining sales in the long-term.

page2171 and superduckie5000 like this.
  13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Room for a 2WD version? Or is there going to be a Dakota coming online ?

14. Ryan

Jeep is almost certainly not going to repeat the 2WD mistake.

15. JavelinAMX

I personally wouldn't call a 2WD Jeep a mistake. The Willys Jeep Wagon lasted 18 model years - it included 4x2 and 4x4 options. The Wagoneer followed that one.

Jeepster wasn't as successful. However, it offered a 2WD version.

16. Ryan

You’re taking a purpose-built off road vehicle then removing that capability without removing all the compromises that came with it. I would consider that to be a mistake.

danbek likes this.
  17. JavelinAMX

As you wish.

I think one such version would sell . I'm not talking wild numbers, but I do think there would be a market. One thing I think would sustain it is the Jeep After-market pieces which can personalize them within certain limits. Obvious thing is 'except for the 4-By drive-train enhancements'. There are a number of Bolt-on parts that can make a single model with a trim level or two have a fairly broad appeal ... wheels & tires and trim pieces could give both appearance as well as mild performance kudos. I think it's built-in to the Name. I also think people would inwardly think " It's a Jeep ... it's tough " .

I also acknowledge we live in a very very heavily 'Pre-Packaged' influenced world. That Could Ding this idea. However, I just think there is a flip-side to it. Some people will think outside that box if it's offered and the right suggestions ( advertising ) are given ( TV, YooToob , movie house adverts ... yada, yada, yada ).

So, yeah ... a Faux Jeep could be made fairly cheaply ( trading the 4-By-Gear for price point ), even profitably, from a Real Jeep, if they plant the right mind-set.

And if they offer it at the right price with some pre-packaged trim from name-brand 3rd party pieces ... and which would allow room to Accessorize/Personalize .

18. aldo90731

There’s supposed to be a Dakota coming.

I agree with Ryan: offering a Gladiator in 2WD, with all that image attached to its brawny looks, big tires and solid axles, would be like Porsche offering a 911 in FWD.

Decontenting Gladiator to aim it at the traditional pickup buyer won’t work for the simple reason that JT is already pretty decontented. Gladiator Sport prices start above $35,000, which is $10,000 above those of the competition. At that price JT doesn’t even have a real top or an automatic transmission. And JT prices escalate quickly from there as you add a few basic options like a hardtop, an automatic transmission, power windows/locks, and half-decent alloy wheels. A mid-level JT is priced around $45,000; which is still $10,000 above the competition.

As it is, Gladiator already risks developing a confused identity. On the one hand, FCA wants to charge a premium for all the aspiration JT conjures; on the other, FCA is sitting on 200,000 units of production capacity. Those two are at odds. The way to reconcile these is by building two different trucks, one aimed at the image buyer, the other at the traditional pickup buyer, on the same assembly line.

#718 aldo90731, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  19. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I would agree in general, I was just saying affluent teens are not an appreciably large or important consumer market for the Gladiator. I would assume (without seeing any data) that most consumers, which I assume are much closer to 30-40 years of age, buy the Gladiator because it looks cool. It kind of looks like a toy rather than a purpose built pickup truck.

aldo90731 likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Yes, I guess we are saying sort of the same thing.

Indeed. I think we can safely assume that “looks” is JT’s main draw. My point is “looks” alone is not going to sustain sales for long. Especially at these prices.

serpens likes this.