AF: Gladiator sales projections??? | Page 37 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator sales projections???

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Some vehicles make a perfect used-vehicle buy, but a lousy new-vehicle purchase. Chrysler 200 comes to mind.

Toyota FJ Cruiser was one of them, too, but for different reasons. Toyota struggled to sell more than 50,000 units/year. Sales were limited in part by the lack of a real 4-door version; in part by styling that some —myself included— found too over-the-top.

After a 10-year run Toyota finally pulled the plug. However, lightly used FJCs now command prices higher than new! FJC has a strong following but availability is limited, and shrinking by the day.

Gladiator has significantly greater chance of sales success than 200 and FJC —just from the standpoint that JT offers 4 full-sized doors and more refined styling. But the market is still trying to figure out what JT is truly “worth.” As discounts keep growing, early buyers are going to find that they overpaid. And lease companies are likely to find out that their residuals were too optimistic, and may find themselves stuck with a few JTs that aren’t worth nearly as much as they “paid” for them.

If the difference between what FCA wants to charge for Gladiator and consumers are willing to pay becomes too wide, JT could become another one of those vehicles that makes a great used buy, but a lousy new-vehicle purchase.

#721 aldo90731, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I would believe it. I was in Bellevue today and counted no less than SEVEN Gladiator's. That's wild. I was in Bellevue, Redmond, and around Kirkland. That's possibly the most I've seen.

On another forum I predicted the Gladiator would sell over 100,000 units in 2020. I still think that is the case (unless something horrible happens with the economy tanking due to a global pandemic).

Zagnut27, Ruptured Duck and aldo90731 like this.
  3. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

:) I see what you did there.

4. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Gladiator is the best truck I've had but the one thing I would change is the engine. The Pentastar is a wonderful engine and I love it, but for a pickup specifically I would like to have a gob more torque. That's where EcoDiesel comes in I suppose, but we still haven't seen 100% confirmation that there will be a JT EcoDiesel. Heck, people with active JL EcoDiesel orders have been waiting 3 or 4 months in D1 status as those slowly trickle out to the market. So who knows if it'll happen for Gladiator.

And, to make matters worse, the DT Ram pickups already have the EcoDiesel, with 38 lbs/ft more torque than the Jeep version, and they are $16,000 off sticker at every dealer in my region right now.

So if you're one of the guys who has been waiting patiently for the Jeep pickup diesel, I guess I can understand why it would be really easy to just go with the Ram 1500 right now.

saltydog likes this.
  5. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Well, the Coronavirus panic is no doubt hurting Gladiator sales even more, with many dealers now going 10% below invoice to try and clear inventory they've been sitting on since last summer. Here's one example from a dealer not far from me. Notice they've even got a Launch Edition (which was supposedly "sold out" 11 months ago) on the lot listed at over $12,000 below MSRP. Ouch.

Chrysler of Lawrenceburg | New Inventory (at https://www.chrysleroflawrenceburg.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&year=2020&make=Jeep&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-make-2 )

6. aldo90731

The more “lifestyle” factors into a purchase, the more it relies on want and the less it does on need: thus, the easier it is for consumers to put off buying it in times of uncertainty.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

It's greatly affecting us all for sure. I work on projects that are a 1 - 2 years from market. I'm on the front end so has not slowed me down other than having to work from home. Lot less distractions at times and then there were days like yesterday 77 and sunny.

8. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Looks like JT sold around 15,000ish units in Q1. So it's sales are remaining steady at roughly 5,000ish units per month. Been that way for nearly a year now.

But, Q2 is going to destroy sales across the board, so JT will likely feel the pain since it's apparently being viewed as a Jeep and not a pickup.

9. aldo90731

Social Distancing measures started to impact auto sales during the last two weeks out of 13 weeks in all of Q1.

By all estimates, auto sales will remain depressed through the entire month of April and some think into May. That alone would make Q2 sales take a bigger hit than we saw in Q1

10. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

A woman I know in the thick of this medically says June or July at the earliest for any recovery

11. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

I hate to drag up an old thread but I am seeing a lot of Gladiators out there, does anyone know where to look to see current sales numbers?

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You have to wait until the end of June. FCA sales numbers are released quarterly.

Bionicrooster likes this.
  13. nitroram33

nitroram33 Well-Known Member

Weird reading the pandemic talk from early February and March when it's now then end of June and numbers are going back up...

14. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Lots are skimpy in southern Indiana.

A good problem it is.

saltydog likes this.
  15. aldo90731

My only local Jeep dealer received a shipment of about 20 Gladiators right as the lockdown started six weeks ago.

Last week when I drove by there, the JTs were still sitting on the lot.

HotCarNut likes this.
  16. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

The dealer in my town is still sitting on theirs. The black one on the rack has literally now sat there for 12 months unmoved. I don't think it's ever been moved off the rack a single time. I pass by there daily.

17. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Somewhat related issue.

What is the bare minimum of cars that are allowed for a dealers inventory?

Local dealer south of me keeps no more than 10 FCA products on hand.

Good dealer who is friendly and gives good deals but wow so little stock.

18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

It is a way to keep costs very low. Probably has good agreements with nearby dealers giving him a decent discount on their stock and trades with them for the one he needs. It works for smaller communities. Probably makes more on used cars than new.

19. aldo90731

My only local CDJR is stocked to the seams but it offers the worst customer service. It doesn’t trade vehicles with anyone. It won’t even trade with other Rairdon CDJR dealers in the region.

HotCarNut likes this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I doubt FCA is concerned with how many they keep in inventory, as long as their sales are high enough.