AF: GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Polish Don, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Why did FCA get a relative bargain contract with the UAW? When you spend the last decade more than doubling your level of union employment, that can happen. When you spend the decade stagnating, and laying folks off, well? You do the math, it’s not rocket science here folks?

XRT2SRT, Mr. Fusion, brewdad and 5 others like this.
  2. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Clearly GM is racketeering FCA here.

No merger can happen with outstanding litigation. They will have to settle this quickly.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I think Wilma Flintstone can put this in a more concise manner:

"OH, Brother!"

Tony K and Stéphane Dumas like this.
  4. Nick1

Nick1 Active Member

I suppose GM should also sue itself for its vehicle interiors putting itself at a competitive disadvantage.

XRT2SRT, ShawnP, Citation84 and 4 others like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, let's all blame GM for the lawsuit instead of facing the fact that FCA did indeed do some bad things in conjunction with the UAW.
    I don't care if GM did the same thing. What FCA and some of its actors did was wrong.

gforce2002, Adventurer55 and page2171 like this.
  6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I guess the question becomes can GM prove what FCA did hurt GM? If not does GM have a legal right to SUE FCA for damages?

Mr. Fusion and sickboy like this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That's probably the whole point as Dave mentions in his news article. A PSA-FCA merger could be bad news for GM.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If FCA got a better UAW deal (which it appears they did), there is the basis for harm to GM - although there is much, much more in the allegations and "proof".

I'm not a lawyer, but this seems much more like an unfair trade practices case than a RICO case.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In every negotiation, the UAW looks for two things:
    1) Wages and benefits
    2) Job security and growth

FCA got a better deal because they provided US job security and growth, while GM insisted on moving production from the US to Mexico.

There were lots o' bribes, yes, but it appears as though that was done for other reasons, e.g. stopping the union from protesting shift and job-method changes. FCA, at that time, was doing a lot of rotating shifts and such which normally unions protest (because they are horrible for the workers, and increase injury rates).

The union leaders wouldn't have much room to be influenced with regard to the actual contracts, because the membership has to approve those, and we've seen that the membership is not a rubber stamp.

djsamuel, XRT2SRT, Mr. Fusion and 8 others like this.
  11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

English has gone to h-ll. I was always taught "couple" is 2, to use "few" for an indefinite small number, but apparently Webster now allows for "couple" to equal "few." [email protected] you Merriam-Webster, you've taken the fun out of being an English "Nazi." :D

BASONE88 and HotCarNut like this.
  13. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

The more I read about this, the more I think that GM's sole purpose is to delay or kill the PSA-FCA merger. Their filing doesn't have the evidence to meet any of the civil RICO hurdles (particularly that GM was financially damaged), and because the negotiations with the UAW are "pattern" agreements, FCA being the lead for 2011 and 2015 actually works against GM. The FCA agreement was public FIRST. GM had the benefit of knowing the terms prior to negotiating with the UAW in both cases. The only winner in this suit is the corporate attorneys....

tabutler, sickboy, tlc and 4 others like this.
  14. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

LOL. Me too. Thought that was what Fiat was for.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  15. Citation84

ROTFLMAO. A GM legacy since they sicced the private dicks on Ralph Nader in the 60s.

16. Citation84

No one's doing that. They're calling out GM's BS, their hypocrisy. GM's law suit is just a dingleberry on the real story which is of course FCA and UAW self dealing and back alley criminality.

So no one should mention GM and this absurd law suit ? It's pure comedy, ripe for all the snark Allpar posters can provide. Have at it, you've all made me LOL this morning. Platinum commentary.

17. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

Wait a minute here ... I read in the news just before the union employees went on strike @ GM, GM was complaining that in the last round of talks FCA agreed to pay higher wages than GM was paying ... now they're saying FCA got a better deal ;)

18. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will blame the custodian on the 3rd shift at SHAP.....

wtxiceman and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  19. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

GM is wrestling in the worst possible way with the ghost of Sergio Marchionne.;)

Mefeels this has a lot to do with just how close Marchionne came to launching a fully funded hostile takeover of GM, soon after his "confessions of a capital junkie" and after Mary barra rejected the fca proposal claiming that "gm was instead merging with itself", which was slightly rich of her imo as subsequent events confirmed.

As revealed subsequently Elkann vetoed that "bear hug", apparently because Warren Buffet said no.

GM management knows and fears what will happen when the next usa recession/financial crisis hits.

Hopefully, or wishfully, next time around Elkann and/or Tavares will complete the unfinished work of the 2008 bankruptcies/bailouts at GM which I feel is what Marchionne was all about.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and T_690 like this.