AF: GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Polish Don, Nov 20, 2019.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

FCA having to pay billions in various fees and fines to governmental agencies is one thing...but shelling out billions to GM?...I think that's about as likely as the water in John Elkann's swimming pool freezing over! That'll be the day!.

As for the trial (if there is one)...FCA's legal team should ask that the trial be moved far away from Detroit.

XRT2SRT likes this.
  2. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

The strange case of Alphons Iacobelli will factor into this. Did Iacobelli talk when he worked for GM? There's a lot going on here.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The article states that should GM win a case based on RICO, the damage awards are tripled and FCA could be liable for damages in the $6 - 13 Billion range. That would probably finish FCA off. Maybe better strategy to try to gain an advantage in trial and then settle for a billion $$$, or so.

4. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

That would be a phyrric victory for GM if that scenario happens, under the public eyes, they'll be viewed as the big bully in the classroom.

5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Or it could be the ultimate genius in using reverse psychology to “force” the merger with GM by not being able to pay but being absorbed as a result of this lawsuit? Personally I never favored such a merger. One of those times of be careful what you wish for?

Tony K likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Probably won't bother GM much. They have been the big bully for some 80 years - at least in the US auto industry.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

As we have discussed on other threads, any merger/absorbing of FCA by GM would mean the quick death of all Chrysler products - something that GM has been trying to do one way or another for my whole lifetime. Settle for as little as possible, then go out and spank the smaller (after the FCA-PSA merger) GM. Better yet, kick sand in GM's eyes :D.

XRT2SRT and AmbassadorSST like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I doubt GM would drop either Ram or Jeep, and what's really left? Only a series of RWD cars that are strong sellers. I think GM would keep Dodge and Jeep, and either replace GMC with Ram or rename Ram to GMC... or keep both. But I would expect the current GM pickup team to be ejected in favor of Ram's. Jeep engineers are another question.

HotCarNut and hmk123 like this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The name of the game now is to produce as many vehicles as possible from common parts and chassis. The RAM and Jeep names would probably survive but I highly doubt that "Brand C" and GMC trucks would end up on Dodge designed chassis - much more likely the other way around within a few years of any merger. If Dodge and Chrysler names were to remain on cars, they probably would end up on a common chassis with Buicks. The Dodge Challenger would probably be gone within a year or two so as to not provide any more competition for GM's beloved and over-hyped Camaro.

Yes, Jeep would probably survive and might even be enhanced by GM moving some of it's 4WD names onto Jeep designed chassis. I don't think that GM would have the same urge to bury the Jeep name as it would the Dodge & Chrysler names. Jeep has only been associated with Chrysler since the AMC takeover and Chrysler is the third owner, just in my lifetime. GM's ingrained disdain for Dodge/Chrysler products goes back for 80+ years.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I don't doubt Chrysler would go away. That said, I disagree on pickups. GM has no van of its own, they use Nissan's. Their pickups are constantly also-rans. As for Dodge, it's a question. I can see Dodge replacing Pontiac in the system, quite easily. Why pick a less successful car platform? The Ram name might go away and it might not, but it outsells GMC by a huge margin.

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

GM would only want Jeep. Ram would be discontinued. In their mind it would allow Chevy to reassert itself as a truck leader by default. They really believe their truck is superior. They still look at themselves as if it's 1955. That's part of the reason they continue to shrink. You can't fix what you don't acknowledge.

AvengerGuy and Beentherebefore like this.
  12. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Why are we discussing a GM takeover??

BASONE88, djsamuel, jclick and 6 others like this.
  13. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I guess Mary Barra didn't saw the tactic of reverse psychology coming.

The Nissan rebadged Chevrolet City Express was discontinued at the end of 2018 due to low sales. As for Ram and GMC, how about a amalgation named "Ram-GMC" just like there was briefly White-GMC heavy duty trucks when Volvo trucks acquired GM's heavy-duty trucks division and White Truck Co. in the late 1980s.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Good point

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

More than likely FCA will countersue GM... The only question is when. Before or after the merger.

1969 300, Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I would be very disappointed if they didn't. This schoolyard bully needs a good bloody nose!

Tony K and danbek like this.
  17. 1969 300

1969 300 Well-Known Member

After the FCA/PSA merger, the entity will be larger than GM, so if a takeover is to happen, it is more likely to be FCA/PSA taking over GM, not the other way around.

Tony K likes this.
  18. 1969 300

1969 300 Well-Known Member

Good point. Many people are giving GM too much credit. LAW 101: in lawsuits, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. FCA is just not going to sit there and do noting. If in the unlikely event this thing would go to trial, they will use every tactic available to them under the law to expose the inner workings of GM as well as their future plans. I am sure GM would not want to explain in open court the rationale for walking away from Lordstown for example. as well as what GM's five year plan is and how the alleged shenanigans with FCA played a part in making corporate decisions.

HotCarNut, Tony K and codypet like this.
  19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Go ahead.....Make my day :D.

Nothing would please me more but, not having any legal training, I can't imagine on what grounds. The "monopolistic practices" case, which the US Govt was considering at one time, went away when the foreign manufacturers started to eat GM's market share lunch.

gforce2002 likes this.
  20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

GM has been under that delusion for 80+ years.

Tony K likes this.