AF: GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Polish Don, Nov 20, 2019.

1. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I should have put a smiley behind my post. It was more a crazy idea than a serious thought...

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Crazy or not, the idea really tickled my sense of whimsy!;)

3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Simple question (and I don't know, so am asking for an answer): who's a better employer for UAW members, GM or FCA?

If the answer to that question turn out to be "FCA", it's going to be really, really hard for GM to blame its failure to negotiate with the union on corruption.

FCA will counter-sue for "trade disparagement" or "commercial libel" (I don't know what it's called in US law), claiming that the only reason GM brought this case was to damage the reputation of FCA just as it was trying to negotiate a merger with PSA.

... that seems to have backfired, in any case, as PSA seem completely unfazed by the GM case, and the merger is going ahead.

Tony K, Adventurer55 and T_690 like this.
  4. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

Analysis: GM lawsuit could mean major liabilities for FCA (at https://www.crainsdetroit.com/analysis/analysis-gm-lawsuit-could-mean-major-liabilities-fca )

The fact that so much of GM's evidence is public record is worrisome. And, I believe that Ford is indeed watching this closely despite what Hackett says. They could get something out of this if GM prevails with little or no effort on their part.

If any wrongdoing was committed it was done at the corporate level far above daily operations at Chrysler. Exor should get stuck with the bill (if any), because Marchionne and Iacobelli were Elkann's boys. What does it mean for Chrysler if FCA loses? Maybe the PSA merger is called off, maybe Chrysler gets spun off, who knows at this point

5. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Or replying by finding some proofs then GM had commited some sins too.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The rationale is that they can hire people more cheaply in Mexico. Nothing people don't know. Most people don't care, or you'd still be able to buy American clothing and such.

People do need grounds for lawsuits.

Tony K likes this.
  7. hmk123

Level III Supporter

If I read the articles correctly doesn’t the lawsuit claim this plan to ”utilize” the UAW to take over GM goes back all the way to 2009? To me that is a little hard to imagine...

8. jorisr

jorisr Well-Known Member

Just a question:
    Why would you say Iacobelli was Elkann's guy.
    Alphons Iacobelli was with Chrysler since 1993.
    He had nothing to do with Fiat or Exor.

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That’s not how a lawsuit works. You don’t have to be pure and innocent to prevail in a lawsuit. FCA obviously screwed up. GM just has to prove it led to damages.

10. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

I thought he reported directly to Marchionne. If not I stand corrected.

11. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

:oops: Too bad then Matlock and Perry Mason are only fictionnal characters, they could had been useful.....:(

12. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Don't forget about Colombo, and J.B. Fletcher of Murder She Wrote fame. ;)

Tony K and Stéphane Dumas like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

This is definitely a case for Robert B. Parker's "Spenser".;)

Tony K and AmbassadorSST like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While everyone is joking about the GM lawsuit, lots of other lawsuits over this are popping up. These lawsuits are aimed at investors and are class action lawsuits (the ones that benefit lawyers and give small awards to the class members). The gist of the lawsuits are that FCA's hidden "bribery scheme" behavior with the union caused investors to lose money when those hidden actions became public.

Like the GM lawsuit, there is probably some merit here.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  15. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I think in this case it would be called, “Merger, She Wrote”.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

First, innocent until proven guilty is a fact for criminal law. These cases are civil in nature. Second a lawsuit is an accusation of wrongdoing and it is entirely possible shareholders were hurt by this revelation (and possibly benefited from these acts).

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Almost every story that's popping up in my FCA finance news feed is yet another law firm collecting "victims" for class action lawsuits over stock losses from the disclosure of the corrupt bargaining. They smell blood.

18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Okay, what happens if GM loses this? Who pays if the class action wins?

19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

1) If GM loses, they are out their legal fees. The likelihood that FCA has a valid counter-claim or that the lawsuit is dismissed as frivolous is small, IMO.
    2) If the class action wins, it depends on if FCA or an individual is found liable. If both, then likely a percentage is assigned to both. My guess is it's "easier" to assign blame to a corporation than an individual (because that person was performing corporate duties when this happened) so the bulk of any award would likely be corporate.