AF: GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM accuses Fiat Chrysler of corrupt bargaining with UAW

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Polish Don, Nov 20, 2019.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Santo GM. Company which is never wrong.:rolleyes:

Tony K, patfromigh and ScramFan like this.
  2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

A few paragraphs from the LA Times news article published in 2003, commemorating the anniversary of the death of the street rail system in the LA metropolitan region.

By 1946, the Justice Department had caught on. It filed an antitrust suit against National City Lines for conspiracy to monopolize the transit industry. But before the suit came to trial in Chicago, the consortium of big companies bailed out, selling their holdings in National City Lines. That essentially left it as an empty corporation.

In 1949, the case finally came to trial. The verdict was mixed, with acquittals and convictions. Although they no longer owned National City Lines, the companies in the consortium were fined wrist-slapping amounts of $5,000 each, while individual company officials were fined $1 each, for a total of $37,007.

I think since a precedent for fines was established in this case involving GM, the courts should hold any fines and awards to similar amounts.

(BTW, there are other threads and forums dealing with the streetcar conspiracy. I brought it up here to demonstrate Santo GM's involvement in a corporate conspiracy which was brought to a trial.)

3. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I guess Mary Barra will said as an excuse than it was the "old GM" who did it but there's still some of the "old GM" DNA in the "new GM".

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

What does a 1946 lawsuit have to do with a 2019 lawsuit other than GM being involved in both (but on opposite sides)?

5. cdjr77

cdjr77 Active Member

6. cdjr77

cdjr77 Active Member

What about how GM exited bankruptcy compared to FCA who payed their loan back with interest

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  7. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

Not much that I can see. While GM, Mack, Standard Oil, and Firestone Tire were guilty of some collusion, fact of the matter was privately owned light rail public transportation was already dead and had not been profitable for many years. The switch to buses was started in the late 30's. Those companies may have been conspiring to make sure the streetcars in Los Angeles were replaced by GM and Mack buses rolling on Firestone tires fueled by Chevron diesel fuel, but the day of the street car in L.A. was over regardless.

That story is an old L.A. urban legend, with a bit of truth behind it.

8. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

9. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

I am not thinking 'blood in the water'. This is squarely aimed at Exor. Could be more serious than the GM lawsuit. I think it will be easy for GM to prove there was collusion and conspiracy between the UAW and FCA, but more difficult to prove GM was damaged by it.

Tony K likes this.
  10. Howhigh

Howhigh Well-Known Member

GM needs to have several seats especially after I just read they are on the list of about 100 Fortune 500 companies that paid 0% or less in federal taxes in 2018. They have some nerve.

So you're telling me FCA actually paid taxes and is in a better position than GM?

hmk123 and wtxiceman like this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Tax law is complicated. Just because a company (or individual) makes money one year doesn’t mean they have to pay taxes if they have unused carryover losses from a prior year. For example, say you lose $5 million dollars one year. Then next year you make $2 million and the following year $3 million. Roughly speaking, you won’t pay any taxes all three years. It’s “fair” because there aren’t negative taxes when you lose money.

page2171 and Tony K like this.
  12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Yet. :p:D

Tony K likes this.
  13. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

>>>Cues "Taxman" by Stevie Ray Vaughan :cool:

14. Howhigh

Howhigh Well-Known Member

I know I just wanted to add 2 cents that doesn't hold water. Just annoyed by the hate.

15. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Ain't that America!