AF: GM still believes in the midsize truck segment | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM still believes in the midsize truck segment

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by vipergg, Dec 13, 2019.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

There are 2 kinds of posters here. The ones that want a low price practical truck.....others that want something better then the Colorado..if its built on the Gadiator platform then its a easy 30 grand plus truck. The only platform that can do low price is the caravan or maby the Durango.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And a Caravan or Durango based truck will be a lifestyle truck which has never sold well. See Ford Ranchero, Chevy El Camino, Honda Ridgeline, Dodge Rampage, Subaru Baja, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Chevrolet Avalanche, etc.

I'd gladly accept a Dakota that's even just $3k-$5k cheaper than Gladiator.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Only if brought to US standards, and even then...

4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

The two you list that were more truck like, the SportTrac and the Avalanche were fairly popular.
    Offer a fixed metal roof version of the Gladiator with a full time 4x4 transfer case or a Dakota version like that and if I can squeeze it into my garage I will consider it.
    (But the 215 inch 2001 Dakota Quad Cab barely fit so the 218 inch Gladiator is unlikely to do so.) One reason the 212 inch Colorado is on my radar. For reference the SportTrac was 210 inches.

Offer a mini bed version of the Jeep Africa concept and I'll camp outside and beat down the door with money in hand.
    (The JK based Africa was 197 inches long.) One foot longer than the 4 door JK.

Yeah, yeah, I hear the arguments. But Jeep has shown that the market reacts differently to Jeep.
    Very few thought the 4 door Wrangler was going to be a huge success. Certainly not to the extent it has.
    And the market is very different than it was during the Scrambler (CJ-8) days so comparing a CJ ride 2 door (with a roll bar in the way) and a JL fixed metal roof Africa 4 door with a mini bed is apples and oranges.

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Tacoma is considered a "premium" truck and still lists for $10,000 less than Gladiator when "comparably equipped."

A JT-based Dakota would allow FCA to compete head-on against the competition. Unfortunately, it would also cannibalize Gladiator sales.

6. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I actually think a new Avalanche could be successful.