AF: Going to buy a 300; have a couple questions... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to buy a 300; have a couple questions...

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by JFWONE, May 29, 2019.

1. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

Hi!

I've decided to replace my old Ford with a 300 after test driving several vehicles. I love the way it drives; and enjoy the comfort. I'm confused on a couple things though.

I'm looking at mainly '16's. Some have 'Uconnect 8.4' and some have versions that look different. When I try to figure out the versioning of uconnect I find numbers that look like malformed IP's. (17.xx.xxx etc.)

What is version 8.4? And is it the most recent one? Is there any way to upgrade it to use Carplay like Ford did with Sync 3 in their 16's?

Also, I was looking at a 300S, but that looks like it may have gone by the wayside because I have to wait a week before I can pull the trigger and the dealer says he has people to buy it now. That's fine. I have seen a couple of '16 limiteds that looks very luxurious; but they seem very different. One has HID headlights, one has Halogen. One has uConnect 8.4, the other doesn't. Neither have the cool AC seats and rear heated seats of one limited I rented. I was surprised that both were about 2K cheaper than the S.

Is 'Limited' really a trim level? It's just confusing because all the S versions I've looked at seem to be about the same.

Thank you for any help!

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I recently purchased a "200 S". The V6 and AWD weren't available on the other models. The 'C' and the Limited were also nicely equipped, but didn't have the options I wanted. I am happy with the 'S'.
    My buyer said that the 300 was much more common at the auctions than the 200, so your car should be easier to select. I hope that you find a nice one.
    The research I did was to download and read the owner's manual and user's guides.
    The Uconnect 17.xx.xxx.etc is the software version of it. There are updates from time to time. Usually the latest and greatest flash update is the best owner experience. Many updates are sent over-the-air to the vehicle.
    The Uconnect 8.4 is the diagonal (in inches) touch-screen size. Browse these manuals to familiarize yourself with the car and the equipment:
    http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/chrysler/2016-300.pdf
    https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core.windows.net/assets/publications/en-us/Chrysler/2016/300/1107.pdf

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

4. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

Yeah. that burns me, but it is what it is. uConnect looks good otherwise but having a hardware change for a software addition is silly. Ford pushed out CarPlay to it's 16's. You had to replace a USB hub but it is like $50.

5. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

6. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Not cheap - but they may offer a trade-in on the old big equipment.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My wife's Chrysler 200 came with the basic 130N radio (AM/FM/Sat). I wanted to switch to the 430N radio with front panel USB, so we could play our music off a USB stick. $1,800 extra to upgrade to that radio.

9. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I’d hold out for an S. It is the best overall package IMO. In terms of appearance and features.

Good luck.

hmk123 and ImperialCrown like this.
  10. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

I ended up getting the limited. I like the S alot, but I'm tight on cash and needed to make a purchase; and the limited had 8K less miles and was 2K cheaper.

Thank you everyone for your input!