Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to meth ... methane, that is

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Dave Z, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Fiat is helping Italgas go entirely to methane-burning cars, delivering new fleet cars to the company’s locations in Turin, Rome, and Naples.

[​IMG]
    Fiat 500L, US gasoline version

Italgas is, appropriately, the largest national gas distributor in Italy. The company will have the first all-methane corporate fleet, supported by 120 self-serve filling stations in 40 areas. The current company fleet has 2,500 vehicles; over the next year, they will be replaced by Fiat methane-powered versions (Panda, Panda Van, Fiorino, 500L, Doblò, Qubo, and Ducato).

Methane, when combined with biomethane, cuts carbon dioxide emissions by 43%, and slashes nitrogen oxides emissions by 94%; it also dramatically reduces harmful particulates. Fiat Chrysler has around a 45% share of the European methane car market, and claims that the Panda is the most popular methane-powered car ever made.

Read the whole post here.

2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The article mentions the Ducato and Doblo. I think natural gas fueled Ram Promasters and PMCs would be a home run here in North America. I'm glad Fiat is pushing the envelope in Europe, but it would be nice to see more of this green technology cross the pond.

ScramFan likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Chrysler Corp has a long history with CNG vehicles, too, and last I looked made CNG Rams, but there aren't as many buyers because here in the USA, particulate emissions, NOx, and CO2 have no consequences.