Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good looking restored Power Wagon

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by Willem85, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Willem85

Willem85 Member

2. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Have always loved the old Power Wagons, but it disturbs me a bit that Legacy Classic Trucks is putting Chevy engines in them.

W6PEA, WS23Mopar and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Sorry but I prefer the original and not modded.

W6PEA, dak4x4 and somber like this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Wow... don't tell my wife ..but I'm in love... ha ha. This is the truck I have loved for years but when I was looking for one at that time, the prices where out of my range. So bought a 1951 Dodge M37 instead ... close to the same thing but for the looks. My boys and I are putting it back together so in a year or two we'll have some pictures for you all... this M37 will be all original except the paint, instead of Olive Drab it will be painted to look like the civilian model, flat black with greenish/brownish body, wood in the bed and some wood in the interior.
    Have to agree ... chevy engine in a Dodge.. that sucks. Most people put a 318 or Cummings in those old trucks, but a chevy... why! Truck still looks awesome though.

somber likes this.
  5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I saw this article a while back and it was a good read, pretty pricey, too, and yes, the Chevy engine is a disappointment although a Hemi is available. I would have preferred to see a 383 and EFI added instead, but it is nice to see someone is able to bring them back to life even if they aren't stock.

W6PEA, somber and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I would not call this a restoration, a resto-mod maybe, a custom.
    It's too far from original to be a restoration. I really hate the misuse of the word restoration.

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

You are right, it is actually a resto-mod at best, by definition, changing everything back to factory original without having to cut or weld does not sound all that possible.

W6PEA and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  8. Shane Estabrooks

Yes agree... I'm keeping my truck as original as possible but that is not an easy thing to do when it's very hard to get some of those parts. So half way through this build I gave up on the idea that it would be as it was in 1951 and started thinking about how we want it to look. So since I like the civilian truck so much... why not make this look like one, the only difference is the top comes off and the windshield folds down. It will never look as good as the civilian model but close enough.

9. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

A restoration is bringing the truck back to the condition it left the factory as close as possible. Any thing else is a customization. The tires and seats are all wrong etc.

W6PEA and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

A restification is a custom vehicle in which all non-stock or non-restoration parts can be removed and replaced with stock parts, in which no welding or cutting is required in order to do so. Stock is one thing, restoration, in some cases, it just too much, unless it is going into a museum, finding 50 year old original spark plug wires, date coded radiator hoses, or wiper blades is going a little bit too far in my book, unless it is in a museum.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  11. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Well, (a Chevy engine) in ANYthing pretty much 'sucks'. lol

Another engine option would be the Magnum 5.9 with all the electronics - or for lower costs, the LA 360 with 4 Bbl.

12. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Agreed it's a beautiful piece of machinery, but that GM engine gotta go. Have to go with the Hemi or Cummins.

13. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I don't think any left the factory with a V8. This type of truck begs for a \6.

14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Of course it left the factory with a flathead 6, not a V8 or diesel of any size. I think a good torque monster LA or Magnum, or, a 361/383 would be an excellent workhorse engine for these trucks. I don't think of it as a hotrod even the way they are being built by this company, so the Chevy or even the 426 engines are really not well fitting engines in my opinion.

15. Shane Estabrooks

1951251M37.jpg And this is what should be in there.
    This is a 251 bored over 80 with a 265 crank. In the future I'll upgrade to dual intake/exhaust. Notice the original type Spark Plug which goes with the 24 Volt waterproof distributor.... etc

W6PEA and somber like this.
  16. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

That is a nice looking truck. But putting a Chevy motor in the Power Wagon, is like putting a VW motor in a Corvair.