Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google's Waymo is launching a driverless Uber competitor in Arizona

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Nov 8, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

And that is probably a pretty low bar, lol. I agree with your post, but people will always expect more than what's reasonable. The programing implementation will probably look like a bell curve starting with an immature initial program ramping up to a more mature and sophisticated program to deal with the human element on the road. Once most people are phased out of driving (over time for a variety of reasons, good and bad), the need for such a complicated driving program will be reduced as more autonomous vehicles strictly follow traffic laws and patterns.

link3721 likes this.
  2. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Always the extreme examples are required because people have no good arguments against it.

But let me solve the

3. pt006

pt006 Active Member

What happens if: a big juicy bug hits a sensor, road slush builds up over the cameras or sensors, ice builds up over the sensors, a cop flags the car down, but the computer thinks it is someone hailing a cab, a plastic bag is blown across the road, tires are bald but the sensor says the pressure is ok, a deer is standing still by the side of the road, etc,etc.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the show. Probably not going to be as entertaining as Washington, but we'll see. Avoid a deer, save a buck.

4. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

It's already back. They just converted a Mobil station in my neighborhood to full service. Unsure if they'll be able to hold out until autonomous cars make it to Orlando.

5. tomit

Ad-Free Member

Just watched a Mythbusters segment about how drafting could increase fuel economy - up to 40% - at highway speeds. Dangerous for human drivers, but seems like an application for driverless cars.

GasAxe and Erik Latranyi like this.