Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A '69 Valiant (4dr.) Signet!

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Volunteer, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you, Volunteer. I wish I could help with conversion parts for you, but I haven't seen anything of that era around here in a LONG time.

2. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks. I just happened to be logged-in to post in Power Wagon thread and thought I'd check this one. Been so busy searching for and detailing everything that has to go back on truck - which is basically a 'rolling-chassis' - with nothing under the hood. Wiring will be fun.
    Anyway, Signet is parked out in the 'elements' - having been kicked-out of cushy garage space (by '68 Fargo). I am still open to any available options - regarding the eventual upgrade to 14 -inch wheels, however, my personal preference is still to find 'correct' small-bolts - unless 'deal-of-the-century' fell on my lap. I will also look for another 7.25" (9-bolt) rear to have as a spare. Something will show up in my area - always does - in spite of rarity and 'donor vehicles' available at select junk yards all crushed over 10 years ago.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I will wish you the best of luck in your evdeavors then!

4. Volunteer

I have many other pics but will not 'up-load' unless super-small. Even a 138 Kb. photo declined. Camera won't go any smaller so I have to 'Edit' with my Zoombrowser and see if can be shrunk. Too many other projects and unwelcome and of course unexpected delays - - so Swinger will just have to sit longer - possibly until late July.
    Good news is that I have the wheels and tires mounted on Signet - after having been (on Swinger) since, I'd guess, about 1990. But, no cracks or other deterioration. I'll (try to) get a photo.

Attached Files:

5. Volunteer

Attached Files:

6. Volunteer

Just another Update to say that Signet still my daily driver - but only an expression since I only drive it maybe two days a week. Having 'fun' with the ('68) Fargo P.W. (restoration) as I will post thread in that section.
    Swinger sitting covered awaiting its turn.
    I decided to not take Signet on 1400 mile trip to east of Edmonton in early July - that would equal a whole year of 'daily driving' so not a wise choice at this point in time. (first choice is RX7 but still 'laid-up' for a re-paint. The (Pirelli) tires and OEM ralleys look and feel very nice on Sig. I am still looking for a bracket to attach P.S. pump to block - although I have not actively searched for awhile. I do have S.B. or B.B. brackets to swap if anyone interested. Thanks.

7. Volunteer

Not much new since last time. Car doing well as 'daily driver' although I only use it twice a week. Had a nice day-trip couple weeks ago to few lakes at the 45 - 4700 ft. level. We are at 1100. I like going up the 'Coke' (Coquihalla) highway which has limit of 120Km. or 74 mph. Most of the climbs can be held above 75 (as I wish) and the level sections at 95. I still get cars and trucks passing me at that speed.o_O. Have to be careful as fines go up big-time when 25 mph over posted speed limit.
    Car runs and handles so well even with occasional 'burst'. I can only imagine what a good, stock 318 would do - let alone 360 or larger. No need or inclination though. Weather will deteriorate at upper levels even by end of Oct. As of the 1st., NO summer tires permitted on all upper-level highways (in BC). sigh.

8. Volunteer

Car insurance expired Nov.10 and I elected to not insure again until Feb.6 - which was two weeks ago. It was a usual winter but the little snow that did fall seemed to hang around thru Dec. and Jan. Lots of piles and lots of gravel. Last few years has been noticeable since our city began using some cheaper line-marking paint. It was mostly worn away by mid-December. I don't know who made whatever decision but someone associated with the City must be 'lining his pockets' - but whole other topic.
    So, here we are, driving and not able to see any road lines - only the hanging signs at intersections and a few of those fat, painted arrows. I haven't driven too much so far but car seems fine. It was covered up soon after Nov.10 and well protected from the elements. I even left battery connected - which is unusual for me. So, a week prior to insuring, I uncovered it and paint was still clean as it was since parked. I opened the driver's door and dome light went on - a good sign. Best of all, no signs of 'vermin' infestation, since I took extra precautions. I -filling' the carb, tapped pedal to set the choke and cranked five seconds. I then pumped pedal three more time s and took my foot off. I cranked again and it started and kept running after only two seconds. I let it run for about 10 minutes as it warmed enough to blow heat.
    Once I was satisfied with gauges, etc. I moved the car to other parking spot and left it there with lighter cover for the next week - when stickers back on. So, as it stands now, I have 5 full months of 'good' coverage and it cost $405. (CDN). We pay a 'surcharge' for anything less than a full 12 months which I believe is $12. for plates(tabs) and $20. for the insurance part. These amounts are charged each time we insure from 3 to 11 months. Windshield replacement (deductible) is a minimum of $200 - which is very important for all vehicles because many newer ones are very expensive and, as most of us know, the older vehicle glasses are hard to find (privately) so best left to the insurance company.
    I haven't driven too much these past couple weeks but everything seems fine - so far. It's nice to be able to carry up to 6 passengers - without having a mini-van. I'll service it end of March - which should be good thru Sept. Have a good rest of Feb.

9. Volunteer

Already end of April - hard to believe time seemingly flying by. Not much new to update. Road lines partially painted. They seem to (still) be using the cheap paint, and true to form, poor detailing - with crooked lines and intersection markings. Then, cars drive over too soon and the very next day most of the fresh white is already black. Signet is still humming along fine - quiet, comfortable and economical. I use it mostly when having to carry two or more passengers - such as shuttling kids around to play-dates or school-related activities. We did, however, use the RX7 for end-of-March five-day road trip south to Wenatchee, then Spokane and up thru Nelson, (BC) - my old 'stomping-ground' and then back home. Daughter and I especially enjoyed the Wenatchee stay as it had been at least 3 decades since I passed thru that area - truly the apple capital of the USA. Nice people, good shopping and a great cycling path network.
    Only 'fly in ointment' was crossing border (into) U.S. - partially due to Homeland Security and partially due to me being full-time (custodial) single parent. After almost full hour, we were given the green light and best wishes for nice trip.
    Crossing back into BC a couple days later at a much smaller point of entry was almost too easy - like only two minutes at the booth. I could have had all kinds of restricted or banned substances or products and nobody would know - except us. But, not worth the risk since it's best to keep your nose clean and be thankful and appreciative of the ability to cross our borders, either north OR south - as free citizens. That is exactly why we send Peace-Keepers to almost any place in the world.
    As I said already, not much else to update. Working on friend's '57 Ford - so that is taking up my garage space these days. Nothing done with Swinger except order necessary engine rebuild parts. Surprising that, in spite of difference in $ exchange and shipping and import charges, most of what I needed still came from U.S. Some items thru eBay and some thru Summit. My latest package was valve springs from RockAuto and it was quick and affordable. Certain items simply cannot be ordered (and shipped) into Canada and most others are either NOT available up here OR take several weeks to obtain.
    Have a good May everyone and I'll update as need-be.

10. Volunteer

Already near end of July - can't believe time flying by - only wish I had more accomplished. Signet has sat since since early July and hope to re-insure it (and little car) on the 31st. - which would take me to Nov.30 - as long as weather is decent, as I (obviously) don't drive it on snow.
    Not much new to report about it except it was running fine before parking it and I expect it to run fine come next Sunday. I did notice the left-upper ball-joint bit 'loose' a few months ago but will likely do both sides - either this fall or next spring. I have to find a 'socket' for the smaller A-bodies. Still, as I may have said before, it is a very 'easy' car to drive - in spite of manual steering/brakes. Don't know yet what the future holds as I doubt I will be buried in it (hopefully not alive!) lol.
    In a perfect world I could get the Swinger all done and find IT a new home then finish off the Signet - ie: upholstery, carpet, dash, but, so much to do (on Swinger) and so little time to spare. I do hope to get the sand-blasting all done by this fall, but, too many priorities.
    I'll update again when something mentionable happens. thanks for returning to this 'blog' and have great August.

11. Volunteer

Welcome back. :) I thought it was about time to update this topic - and other partially associated ones. I trust that most of you had a good Holiday season and 2017 will only improve. I am still dealing with some pesky health issues and, since Signet insurance expired on Nov. 30th., I have not been driving.
    I am sure that many Allpar members along the entire west coast can concur that this has (so-far) been a worse than usual winter - particularly noticeable in bigger centers like Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. Here where I am the temp. this morning was down to -25 c. or -13 f. likely the coldest we've seen in at least past 5 years.
    Looking forward to more 'normal' westerly flow beginning next week. But, that could be temporary and still much snow to get rid of and that means I probably won't be insuring car(s) again until well into Feb. Last year I started the Signet on Jan. 30 and then insured it on Feb. 6th. Roads stayed clear from Groundhog Day - on.
    And, speaking of the Signet, it served me very well all summer - with only one minor 'glitch'. That was with the Holley (of course single-barrel) carb. Those of you who have had anything to do with the early four-barrel, primarily vac.-sec. Holleys, may have had issues or challenges with the low-speed or idle-feed circuit. Usually when a bigger cam with greater overlap is installed, the drop in idle vacuum affects the flow of fuel to the idle circuit. Turning the mixture screws to increase that flow can have little effect due to the small opening in the idle-feed tube. With Carter/Edelbrock, the idle-feed tubes are well out in the open - by design. However, Holley's idea was to hide these tubes in metering blocks. Removing metering jets exposed the tips of these tubes - but no way to get to them.
    Single-barrel carbs, like Model 1920, had one primary metering jet so also one metering tube. To make this long story shorter, I was driving the Signet in early August as returning from nearby lake. Well, at the destination the car ran fine and then also on the highway back. However, as soon as I entered the city and had to slow for first red light, car stalled just as if key turned off. It re-started alright but I quickly learned it would not idle. This symptom did occur in this car before so I was prepared to 'feather' the gas enough to maintain sufficient idle speed when having to stop.
    But, my 'instinct' suggested to me that a piece of dirt would be the culprit. Logical procedure therefore would be to gain access to the metering plate and try to blow out the circuit. I did this before by applying low pressure to the idle-bleed air orifice and then to the mixture opening once the screw removed. Well, once the jet, float and gasket/bowl re-installed, carb pressured-up okay and started and idled fine. I drove it soon after and got maybe four city blocks and same thing happened. It stalled at stop light and wouldn't idle. Couldn't be more 'dirt' so soon. After-all, the inside of fuel chamber was clean and I had good filter and clean, original tank. Hmm.
    So. I removed all that I needed to (after draining carb) and finally the small jet. This time I also removed the metering block for closer look. Something didn't seem right. When I looked into the threaded jet opening, the bottom of the metering tube was tilted over to one side - instead of being centered. I shook the block and the tube also shook. Didn't take long to figure out that it had become dislodged from top and slipped down, therefore allowing air to enter the top access instead of thru proper bottom of tube orifice. Short of drilling out top 'disc' and removing the tube itself, only other option was to gently pry upward at bottom of tube - so as to not damage orifice. I did this and could tell that the fit on top would be snug enough that the tube would not likely fall down any time soon. Yes, it worked perfectly and no issues for the last 3 months of driving.
    A bit long for a simple repair but more of a thorough heads-up to anyone else with same carb. Remember that the two-barrel Holleys have two of these metering tubes and four-barrels have two primaries for sure and sometimes a pair in the secondaries as well. Carbs with twin primary idle tubes less prone to stalling since fuel will still flow thru the one good tube - whether due to other being loose or plugged.
    Finally, this time around, for the one or two of you who are wondering about my '70 Swinger, it is totally stripped down and sitting in cold garage awaiting spring warm-up so some sand-blasting can be done. In meantime there are many parts and systems to go over and restore and/or detail. Time is not at a premium these days. Everyone have a fine rest of January. :D

12. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Volunteer: I too can understand the 'health issue' aspect as well; getting old sucks and, I'm trying to be polite.

13. Volunteer

Still not experiencing the usual spring weather, and I would expect many of you in other areas feel the same. I have friends who 'over-winter' in Palm Springs (CA) and they are doing just fine with temps in upper-eighties to mid-nineties. Can't do anything about the weather except complain, right?
    So, in light of lingering snow in upper levels, I didn't get cars insured until March 21. Last year the Signet was on roads from Feb.6th. Big difference. I've driven it a few times and still no issues or complaints. When I park a car in the fall I make sure it is as good as it can be, so no surprises in the spring. The only thing I did under the hood was to remove and detail the battery tray.
    I took a trip to WA state on March 26 - 30 but used the RX - although small, it's good on gas and kid wanted it that way. (sigh). Ended up putting on over 1300 miles - - when Seattle is only 350 from here. We went as far south as Eatonville, west to Ocean Shores and east to Wenatchee (one of our fave W-state places. That would be second time there in a year, except on March 30, '16, half of the apple blossoms were out.
    Also saw two new movies in two days - never done this before. One year ago, they were filming street scenes in our city for the Power Rangers movie. We got first look when about 15 minutes into movie the scene showed a view onto the city with two mountain tops in background. Then there were occasional shots of rural areas throughout and during the final battle scenes near the end, there was (apparently) lots of damage done to streets and buildings (in Angelgrove as they named it). The ending was filmed with extras on a street as I leaned on my back gate - again, exactly one year ago. Pretty neat, but means nothing to you who know nothing of Kamloops - - or B.C. - - or even Canada, for that matter.
    But, trip was nice and kid had fun and a (spring break) promise is honored.
    I will pick her up today with Signet from after-school activity and then a few hours later we drive again to dance practice and then again tomorrow before school for swim practice. This (Easter) weekend will see me take several bags of prunings to recycling yard. Sometimes I remove back seat and can get up to eight huge bags in to car - (RX only 5). But, Signet has roof racks I can use for carrying lumber, ladders, boat, etc.
    So, doing okay without pickup or SUV. Have a fine Easter to all of you as well.

14. Volunteer

''Greetings from Scarborough, Ontario." We will be home (in BC) in 24 hours, after two weeks away - to the vast expanses of G.T.A. (greater Toronto area). Visiting family and taking in the sites. Didn't realize (or care) that this place is the fourth largest metro area in North America - surpassed only by Mexico City, N.Y.C. and L. A. I'm looking out window to north-east facing the 401 and traffic is unrelenting - even at 3am. We must've travelled 300 miles on transit - including train, subway, streetcars and buses - and not a problem getting on, off or transferring. Someone is doing a good job.
    Kept my eyes open between Port Credit and here and as far north as Canada's Wonderland, and didn't see one old muscle Mopar! Where are you guys? Still garaged for winter? Only one I did see was old body shell of '68 or '69 Satellite or Belvedere (R.R.?) being trailered along Eglinton Ave. Actually, shortage of other muscle cars as well. Could be many reasons but most likely it's to do with law of averages. Such a big place that nice cars just spread out so no concentration in one area. Gas is cheap - by CDN standards - as low as $1.01 per liter. Will be good to get home anyway as we've also walked so much that I am just about ready for a 'vacation'.
    This Sunday will see us take Signet up to favourite lake (at 4500ft.) for annual Fathers' Day Family Fishing. Then, back to domestic grind on Monday. Can't believe how fast these first months of '17 have come and gone. Still waiting for the (usual) really hot dry days we expect in June thru August but that will come.
    If I don't post again before the end of this month, have a very fine Canada Day (150th. birthday) and a very fine Independence Day (to our USA friends). :)

15. Volunteer

Now two months later time for update. Haven't driven all that much (since not commuting to and from anywhere).
    A year ago I had a carb issue and described (January) how I dealt with it. I re-read that posting and now am second-guessing my repair procedure. Two weeks ago, same thing happened. With little or no idle fuel I again found myself 'feathering' the gas when coming to a stop. Not fun although do-able.
    This time I went straight for the inside of the carb - after loosening the four fuel-bowl screws to drain. I then removed the bowl and main jet. Shining small light inside and using thin probe confirmed that the long idle-feed tube was again loose.
    So, I removed the metering block and took it into garage for closer look. As near as I could determine, the tube has to enter the block from the top - hense a 3/8" soft plug to seal it off (at top). Logic told me also that the tube itself could not seal if lifted up (since it entered the top of block). There's no way I would have pried-up on the thin, bottom end as this would not only just lift up tube and push it to the top disc, it would likely distort the precision small (fuel inlet) opening (at the bottom).
    This is why I was 'second-guessing'. There is an access hole near the top of the block where the wider part of the tube can be seen and examined. If I do pry gently up I can see the unit move up -via the hole. Also, once moved upward, the tube does not want to stay put. So, if it just sat there loose, that would be enough to let some air get sucked-in when only fuel should enter (from orifice at bottom of tube).
    I then inserted thin, flat probe into the view-window and pried upward to move the needle/tube downward. I could feel some resistance as it moved about 1/8" then wouldn't go any further. I also used some generic carb spray in other passages and then blew out everything with air hose.
    Lucky for me the fuel bowl gasket I made up last summer was still useable - so saved some time there. With everything buttoned-up the car started and idled I fine-tuned the mixture once warmed and it never ran better. So, two weeks later, all is well. I hope it lasts forever but time will tell.
    The particular carb kit getting very hard to find and cheapest (rebuilt) carb over $200. so as long as it works an runs fine, I won't worry about replacement parts. I also use the (metal) Fram filter - #G2 - S.

Otherwise things are fine -- - IF you like forest-fire smoke for days at a time. So dry, too. Only 7mm. (.4") precip. since mid-June. Not even a thunder shower. In other words, our weather is traditionally boring.
    Hope everyone else is having a safe and happy summer - as it quickly comes to an end.
    Well, a bit more to do on '73 Challenger. Still haven't done any sand-blasting on the Dart. (sigh).

16. Volunteer

Update on October 11th. I just do not/cannot spend as much time on Allpar as I used to and it becomes difficult to keep up to date on many thread topics. However, I have been following the Stratuscaster topic at least once a week - always hoping for better and better news.
    I recently lost my own mom (Oct.4) after lengthy illness. Three years ago she was still in her own apartment, in Mississauga ON. and actively competing in local and national and International Seniors Games (ie: Houston, Cleveland, Minn-St.Paul) and one thing led to another and certain issues take hold.
    Her name is Elsie Rossi so if anyone (especially in the G.T.A.) is at all interested just search the name to view some of her accomplishments. Service this Sat. the 14th., but we cannot be there so will do so in spirit. Family in Port Credit and Burlington have things well in order.

Still driving Signet couple times a week and good to Nov.30 when insurance expires. We have a certain gas station in town that apparently reduces the price of 91 octane to price of (regular) 87 on Friday eves. It is my usual station but I could be there any day of the week - but not often since I am not putting on too many miles. Anyway, just happened to be there around 6pm last Friday and keying in my debit card when guy on other side of pump informed me of the special (Friday) discount. I would have just pushed the Regular button. Every other time I get some gas I always glance at all 3 octane selections to compare prices - - but not this time. Not that I usually buy the 91 octane since my car really runs fine on regular (well, some hot weather pinging last summer), but, I couldn't pass up the chance to treat myself (and the car).
    So, I put in $50. worth and it just about filled the tank. Results? I noticed more power and less 'pedal' to maintain usual climbing rates on certain routes and hills. Guess 'dana44' was right! (lol) I knew he was all along but (our) 91 octane costs so much more than our 87, and me being so cheap (I mean 'frugal') the extra $ spent is better used towards household expenses. (sigh).
    Anyway, car is running very well. In a year or two I may have to entertain thoughts about finding it a new home. But, in meantime, I have everything required to change over to Power Steering - - except the time to do it.
    A
    s I mentioned in post from August, it indeed turned out to be driest summer ever in this area. May thru August saw less than a half-inch of rain and only a trace in Sept., so not even one thunder-shower.
    I seriously feel for those affected by recent hurricanes and now the devastating fires in Sonoma County and Anaheim Hills. Hang in there, folks, and hopefully things will soon settle down and some kind of good will result from every bad situation.